Pretty close to pulling the trigger on Arcteryx Beta AR, but the fit around the shoulders and length of the sleeves wasn't great.

Look into an Alpha FL for a fit closer to what you're looking for (or an Alpha SL if you don't mind PacLite)

Or, size down on an Alpha SV.

Edited by MoreToasties

alexvogel you could do harm in l;ooking at the isaora 3l tech shell

(picture cut)

surprised you didn't recommend one MoreToasties, nice photo by the way :)

Thanks.

Funny you should mention it; I just received the green version of the shell you posted.

I'll post my impressions soon.

Edited by MoreToasties

Thanks.

Funny you should mention it; I just received the green version of the shell you posted.

I'll post my impressions soon.

alexvogel you could do no harm in looking at the isaora 3l tech shell

HoodedParka_Black_c7ea9561-e26b-4d7b-869

surprised you didn't recommend one MoreToasties, nice photo by the way  :)

Mme2HYg.jpg

Is there any reason why I should pick the Alpha FL or SV over the Beta AR? I've talked to a few in-store reps at outerwear shops and they recommended the Beta AR for my needs (urbanwear, hiking, backpacking, occassional snow sports).

Also, I'm about to pull the trigger on Isaora Stretch Utility Pants, so if I were to also pick up the 3L shell from Isaora, I'd be looking for some serious discounts....

Is there any reason why I should pick the Alpha FL or SV over the Beta AR? I've talked to a few in-store reps at outerwear shops and they recommended the Beta AR for my needs (urbanwear, hiking, backpacking, occassional snow sports).

Also, I'm about to pull the trigger on Isaora Stretch Utility Pants, so if I were to also pick up the 3L shell from Isaora, I'd be looking for some serious discounts....

I much prefer the Alpha series over the Beta AR for a few reasons. For one, the fit on the Beta AR is neither here nor there. It's not flattering from an urban tech perspective, nor is it particularly articulated/layering-centric.

An Alpha FL, on the one hand, is awesome to have with you all the time. Packs up tiny and light, fits pretty fantastic, and has minimal features that are well thought out. Better hood than the Beta. Downsides: no pit zips, minimal pocket design.

The Alpha SV (or AR if you dig the colour selection - I don't but to each his own) is a more fully featured Beta, really. Incredible build quality, still made in Canada if you care, best hood in the business. It's a really crazy nice jacket. The fit is great as is for serious layering, or perfect as a slim fit if you size down. Downsides: heavier.

To be the Beta AR wants to do both, and does so with some success, but you're better off really assessing your needs and intended use and going for the shell that will really work. The Beta is a good jacket for sure, but Arc'teryx has been busy lately and the newer stuff is really solid.

(video cut)

a video a friend and i shot recently for the qasa featured on http://www.impulseonline.net

sum acr, eyes and sins, veilance in there

That's awesome, man. Great shots, and nice to see some unique perspectives of old Toronto spots.

On the Isaora note, the new 3L Riding Shell is pretty impressive. The green is nice and muted - closer to grey, but with some olive tones. The material is now very slightly stretchy, which is extremely comfortable at the cost of a small amount of water resistance by the very nature of waterproof/breathable fabric. The taping work is perfect at first glance. The pit zips are well designed, and the collar is high and comfortable. The zipper that expands the collar does its job, but tends to get caught on the way up - this was true of their old Riding Shell as well. The other zippers are smooth and have no issues as of yet. Finally, for anyone who has owned an older Isa shell, the new fabric offers a bit more in the way of insulation, so factor that in.

I'll post more in depth with some pictures once I've done some cool stuff in the jacket.

For potential buyers, note that at least for me, the jacket runs almost a size large (consistent with their past jackets). I sized down from a medium to a small and the fit is perfect considering I'm not planning to layer anything loftier underneath than an Atom LT.

Edited by MoreToasties

Well , the jeans from Finisterre showed up today..I have to say they took it pretty far out imho. The denim feels light weight and soft.. Like a well worn in pair but are really dark with a herringbone pattern sometimes peaking through. It doesn't itch and you can feel the merino brushed inside, which is great for the next colder days .Straight fit but on the skinny side of that.. Looks like a normal pair from the front, the back is another story. They placed the pockets to the sides of your hip for easier acces with cold hands. I have to say it works pretty good and while i am typing this I can acces my pocket fairly easily. The pocket placement also meant swerving the side seam around. Finisterre placed the back pocket on that seam and also added an extra layer of denim on the back as an extra protection for sitting down on colder areas. Nice thought but I will see if it doesn't start to behave in a diaper kind of way. Would have loved to see some bigger back pockets though, my wallet (visvim) just about fits. I wil see if i can get the missus to take some fit pics tonite

http://www.finisterreuk.com/cws/clothing/men/caber-jean.html

Edited by aso2004

a video a friend and i shot recently for the qasa featured on http://www.impulseonline.net

sum acr, eyes and sins, veilance in there

This is nice, but I was constantly expecting him to do some parkour 

I mean, it doesn't even have to be complicated shit, but one of any of the running shots in that video, followed by a different angle of him doing a nice vault, leap, kong or wall-climb, ending with another close up-shot of the feet as they land on the ground (preferably with some dust or in a water puddle)

Well , the jeans from Finisterre showed up today..I have to say they took it pretty far out imho. The denim feels light weight and soft.. Like a well worn in pair but are really dark with a herringbone pattern sometimes peaking through. It doesn't itch and you can feel the merino brushed inside, which is great for the next colder days .Straight fit but on the skinny side of that.. Looks like a normal pair from the front, the back is another story. They placed the pockets to the sides of your hip for easier acces with cold hands. I have to say it works pretty good and while i am typing this I can acces my pocket fairly easily. The pocket placement also meant swerving the side seam around. Finisterre placed the back pocket on that seam and also added an extra layer of denim on the back as an extra protection for sitting down on colder areas. Nice thought but I will see if it doesn't start to behave in a diaper kind of way. Would have loved to see some bigger back pockets though, my wallet (visvim) just about fits. I wil see if i can get the missus to take some fit pics tonite

http://www.finisterreuk.com/cws/clothing/men/caber-jean.html

With all the cool details and functionalities you listed for some reason I thought it was a bit of a shame that these are not selvedge. Also, 10.5oz seems really light for a denim, especially if its meant for colder weather (?) I take that the wool is supposed to help in the insulation department?

This is nice, but I was constantly expecting him to do some parkour 

I mean, it doesn't even have to be complicated shit, but one of any of the running shots in that video, followed by a different angle of him doing a nice vault, leap, kong or wall-climb, ending with another close up-shot of the feet as they land on the ground (preferably with some dust or in a water puddle)

Parkour is hard and Qasas are shitty shoes to run in (or at least mine are, too heavy/lacing is suboptimal). ;)

On the selvedge part of the Finisterre jeans, I would have liked that as well. But a pair of Gap or APC jeans now has a selvedge so the notion that it is a higher quality is not really there for me.

I think it just puts the jeans off nicely but since the outer seam is also the curved one, it would have meant cutting it there

The lightness, well we will see how they fare through a abuse of a winter but I think they will be warm enough especially with the extra fabric in the back.

On the part of choosing a pair.. don't go for these if you want a pair of classic looking jeans. They look odd with the slanted back pockets and extra fabric behind it.. The ones you are looking at are solid choices for a "standard" relatively cheap pair of selvedge jeans. My 15 year old rainbow selvedge Edwins are still  in  rotation and are in my top 5 of favorite pairs ever..

Okay so the Isaora stretch utility pants showed up on monday and I've been wearing them this week to get an initial impression for you guys. Keep in mind my experience with tech pants lies only in the realm of ski/snowboard pants and occasionally handling Acronym/veilance/stone island (shadow) stuff.

Lets start with what I don't like:

- Biggest gripe is that they're a little too short. I am wearing them with Sk8-hi's today and the cuff keeps riding up over the top of the sneaker. Some extra length would be nice.

- The cuff is really narrow. This looks awesome but in terms of practicality is a weakness. The cuff needs to be stretched over my hiking boots. 

- No belt loops.

What I do like

- Comfort - Fabric feels great, doesn't feel clammy like some tech fabrics do against the skin.

- Color - Its black. 

- Freedom of movement. Holy shit these things are stretchy. You could easily climb or do yoga in these.

- Water-resistance and Breathability - Very comfortable to jog around in, water-resistance stood up well to the spray bottle I have. It hasn't rained, I did what I could.

- Back pocket - The little pocket in the back is perfect for stashing keys. Keeps them high enough on my ass that I'm not sitting on them.

- Fit -  taper makes these look pretty bad ass. Lots of room in the thighs. Looks good without restricting movement

I wish they thought of....

- Belt loops, or at least a d-ring for keys.

- Taping the seams

- An expandable cuff to accomodate boots 

I wanted to take a bike ride in them to better test the breathability and the range of movement, but some dick-whistle stole the back wheel off of my bike yesterday. Overall I'd consider these a worthy purchase, especially if you can get them at a discount. If you have questions lmk and i'll add to this review. 

Edited by artfullydodged

Additional SI:SP FW 14-15 drops live on site: link

Getting Akira vibes from

40402 DENIM JACKET

&

30710 TRACK PANT

Yeah they're looking amazing, really digging the new vest as well. That inner lining looks comfy as hell.

Edited by Endless

They used to exist as Nonetheless. I'm kind of interested by their modual wool pants, but haven't tried anything from them yet.

I own their Neoshell pants. Customer service is pretty nonexistant - I emailed them three times (asking about difference in pant models) before someone responded with like 2 words. They're okay for what they are, but I really hate the waistband grip-it is way too grippy and digs into your body when you try to move.

Hey Guys,

I am on the hunt for some non-ARC tech pants. I am looking for a taper cut and something with stretch. Any ideas other than outlier, mission, SISP?