I'm thinking about traveling abroad for a month or so. Thinking either Europe or possibly Australia. Haven't put much time into researching how to pack for a backpacking trip yet and obviously my destination will determine my loadout, but I thought I'd ask you guys what you'd recommend bringing in terms of clothing & footwear? Thanks in advance

I thought I'd ask you guys what you'd recommend bringing in terms of clothing & footwear?

Rain shell, merino shirts and socks, quick-dry underwear, Schoeller pants of some sort (substitute with quick-dry shorts for Australia), and some comfy sneakers/trail runners.

Always works for me.

I'm thinking about traveling abroad for a month or so. Thinking either Europe or possibly Australia. Haven't put much time into researching how to pack for a backpacking trip yet and obviously my destination will determine my loadout, but I thought I'd ask you guys what you'd recommend bringing in terms of clothing & footwear? Thanks in advance

It's a bit outside the scope of this thread, because I tend to travel a bit minimalist (I haven't checked a bag other than when I'm moving in years) but it's going to depend entirely on which of the two climates you go to. Except no matter which one you choose you'll want Ex Officio underwear.

It's a bit outside the scope of this thread, because I tend to travel a bit minimalist (I haven't checked a bag other than when I'm moving in years) but it's going to depend entirely on which of the two climates you go to. Except no matter which one you choose you'll want Ex Officio underwear.

Speaking of underwear, is there much difference between the ExOfficio Boxer Briefs and the Under Armour Boxerjocks? I've got quite a few pairs of the UA's and they're fantastic but if the ExOs are better, i'd certainly like to get a pair to try. Any other recommendations on the underwear tip?

I have both and prefer under armour hands down. IME, either brand can be handwashed at night and worn the next day if traveling light. Being a tall dude, I prefer the length of UA and they seem to keep me cooler than the exofficios do.

With regards to my original question, I guess I'm wondering what footwear to bring? If I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling in urban areas, I want something that looks stylish, is comfortable, and will protect me as much as possible from the elements, though I obviously won't need something backcountry-ready if I'll be in the city most of the time. I have some nike frees that I think would fit the bill as far as a travel shoe, but I also don't want to be the stereotypical American tourist that wears runners with everything..

So far off the top of my head I'm thinking of packing the following clothing items:

Outlier three way shorts

Outlier keirins or 60/30's or both

Icebreaker lightweight merino long underwear (may not be necessary)

Icebreaker lightweight merino tee

Icebreaker midweight merino tee (or l/s?)

Under armour compression shirt (I am a bitch with regards to heat)

Nike free 3.0's?

Under armour boxers

Nike dry fit socks (are merino socks better?)

Packable idiom shell (admittedly this is too big for me and I'm interested in finding a different lightweight, packable shell)

Hat of some sort

I feel like I should pack at least one collared shirt and a nicer pair of shoes so I won't always be bummin in t-shirts and nikes though. Hmmm.

Edited by crucialkc

With regards to my original question...

Did you decide between Europe or Australia yet? Either way, you should consider a travel jacket

A minimalist approach to fashion: How to wear only 10 items for a year

GARDNzn.jpg

As of June 1, Souveny has pledged to pare down his wardrobe to 10 articles of clothing for the next year, excluding socks, underwear and outerwear.

The list includes: one pair of pants, one pair of shorts, two T-shirts, one button-down, one sweatshirt, one pair of sneakers, one pair of boots, a blazer and a belt.

He declared his intention in May to wear one outfit for one year in a blog post titled "minimalism."...
Edited by SuE

shitttt, where to find those nanosphere black skinny ones in xs or s??

been wanting to get a pair of veilance cargo lts for a while now and have been put off by the price, but these seem to fit way better and priced better.

where2kop help!!!

I have both and prefer under armour hands down. IME, either brand can be handwashed at night and worn the next day if traveling light. Being a tall dude, I prefer the length of UA and they seem to keep me cooler than the exofficios do.

So just a heads up for SS15, my department @ UA (outdoor: hunt/fish/tactical/outdoor performance) has a pair of no-sew amphibious shorts coming out. They'll be in a light khaki and camo color way.

I took them hiking in Utah @ Red Rock and Zion national park and they performed amazingly. Great fit, and you can't beat a sonic welded short with no seam allowance.

We've got some pretty cool tech pieces coming out soon so keep an eye out.

Here are the size specs:

Sz. 30

Leg opening: 11.125"

Inseam: 10.25"

Sz. 32

Leg opening: 11.5"

Sz. 34

Leg opening: 11.875"

*I just chose those as they are the key sizes, but the style will come in a full size run, both smaller and larger.

If I had to compare the fit to something I would say it's somewhat close to a pair of Wings and Horns chino shorts.

Edited by firstdoorontheleft

Does anybody know what bomber this guy is wearing? I looked through all the old arcteryx veilance collections and didn't see anything that looked like this. Something upcoming maybe?

Thanks! :)

Edited by jbob24

any suggestions for a good belt? in black preferably.

For simple and cheap, I've got a black Croakies Artisan that does the job. It was my backpacking belt but I've been wearing it daily lately.

If you want to spend a bit more, cobra belts are great and fit in with most techwear. Check Acronym's current product shots for an example.