Nomad in Toronto has a lot of Shadow Project and Veilance from their new seasons that they haven't listed on their website (interesting business strategy...) They ship pretty much anywhere in case anyone's missed out on a size or colour they missed somewhere else.

Edited by hooper

Nomad in Toronto has a lot of Shadow Project and Veilance from their new seasons that they haven't listed on their website (interesting business strategy...) They ship pretty much anywhere in case anyone's missed out on a size or colour they missed somewhere else.

Good to know. Fingers crossed for a medium Mionn Comp from last season...I should give them a call.

All these years in Toronto and I've never actually stopped in at Nomad. I figured they didn't have Veilance based on their website.

Edited by MoreToasties

Good to know. Fingers crossed for a medium Mionn Comp from last season...I should give them a call.

All these years in Toronto and I've never actually stopped in at Nomad. I figured they didn't have Veilance based on their website.

@Moartosties, if you end up going and see any good discounted Veilance in size LG, post it up. I'll throw you a proxy fee if you're interested.

Edited by firstdoorontheleft

@Moartosties, if you end up going and see any good discounted Veilance in size LG, post it up. I'll throw you a proxy fee if you're interested.

Will do, no proxy fee needed.

I'd also suggest calling the Sporting Life on Yonge street... They had a bunch of discounted Veilance last I checked, wrote a few things in size large.

Thxs hooper....i'll have to check them out.  didn't know they even existed...but i'm new to the game.  thanks for the heads up.

How do you actually use technical side of your apparel guys?

Buy a $1000 jacket just to stay dry in a rainy day is not quite reasonably for me.

Biking, hiking, running in $1000 acrnm jawnz is kind of strange too.

I wore my GT-J28 almost every day from the beginning of November to basically mid April, walking, riding my bike, snowboarding, doing whatever I had to do.

It now has a little poke hole in the upper flack pocket from my keys, the right hand velcro tab got pulled too hard one day so it's a little messed up, I messed up the outer jacket sling tab by the hood, the edge of the collar is rubbed down from neck stubble.

Still waterproof, still works fine. If I got a bigger hole in it or something, I'd put a goretex patch on it and keep wearing it. Everything in life is transitional.

Edited by exhaust fumes

Buy a $1000 jacket just to stay dry in a rainy day is not quite reasonably for me.

Personally I wear my gear regularly...to/from work, etc...If i drop the coin to get it... I wear it and enjoy it.  My acronym gear always turns heads, and I really like the functionality of their jackets.  Granted some pieces are grails and they're only brought out on occasion. 

Just my thinking on it for what its worth....

I justify the price by using my gear whenever possible. I just brought a Veilance shell into the backcountry, it worked perfectly. I also wear techwear to work, biking, etc; everything I own sees regular use. As long as you're willing to take care of your gear (washing, re-proofing, etc), I see nothing wrong with using it hard.

Nomad must read Sufu... Veilance just popped up on the website.

Well I think in general stores just have a delay from when the items hit the shop floor to when the product photog goes up on the webstore.  Have to draft item descriptions, get measurements, edit photographs, etc.

Ofc Nomad does have staff that browses sufu lol but ^ is a reason for online/in-store stock discrepancies in a few other shops I know as well.

I rarely wear a blazer other than my DS-J5 now. When it's raining or snowing in winter (and that was very often in DC this year) I wouldn't be without my GT-J5A. If it rains now then I wear my GT-J22. I don't really understand the question - why wouldn't people wear goretex or whatever when it's cold and wet?

I rarely wear a blazer other than my DS-J5 now. When it's raining or snowing in winter (and that was very often in DC this year) I wouldn't be without my GT-J5A. If it rains now then I wear my GT-J22. I don't really understand the question - why wouldn't people wear goretex or whatever when it's cold and wet?

I'm in Baltimore and I wear my Blazer LT almost every other day (in the warmer months) to work along with some sort of merino base or mid-layer. I sold all but 1 of my tailored blazers once I purchased it and have never regretted it for a minute.  

This winter (which as you said was surprisingly long and unpleasant) I lived in my insulator and my field jacket LT. I think people are afraid  to wear the product because it is so expensive, but they forget that mainline deadbird is expensive as well. A GORE Pro-shell jacket retails for around 800 USD and that is meant to withstand even the most abusive weather and activities.

Veilance and ACR are pretty durable, and can withstand some abuse. I wear my insulator when I'm skeet or trap shooting and it offers plenty of warmth and a little padding to help diffuse some of the recoil.

i think most people who baulk at wearing expensive techwear probably just can't justify/afford it. i don't mean it as a slight but clearly, fans of techwear appreciate that a 1k shell keeps them dry and probably fly as fuck at the same time.

but i can't ever imagine bringing myself down to peasant status holding an *gasp* umbrella.

It's finally spring. Any recommendations of galoshes/rain boots besides Swims or Fred&Matt?

GMy3qRml.jpg

xZlE7mVl.jpg

but i can't ever imagine bringing myself down to peasant status holding an *gasp* umbrella.

Speaking of umbrellas from TheWirecutter's recent review roundup:

WtR4rqZl.jpg

Then we simulated rain in a two-headed shower. We used a mannequin torso on the floor of the shower to ensure that the “rain†was able to distribute evenly all around the test subject. The mannequin was dressed in a new, dry white t-shirt so that it would be obvious just how wet it got during the three-minute downpour—enough to simulate a heavy rain without allowing the cotton to simply soak up water directly off of the shower-room floor.

The biggest lesson from this testing was that regardless of the umbrella you carry, you’re going to want to wear a rain jacket...

i think most people who baulk at wearing expensive techwear probably just can't justify/afford it. i don't mean it as a slight but clearly, fans of techwear appreciate that a 1k shell keeps them dry and probably fly as fuck at the same time.

If you're walking you might as well.

Though the umbrella is usually the last thing I want to have in the windy weather.

And you can't even tie your laces with that dreadful thing.

The question is, how do you justify all the expensive non-technical stuff?

People are always good at condemning others for spending more than they would on item X, Y or Z

Frankly what folk do with their hard-earned (or otherwise) is their business.

Original Art vs print anyone ......they look the same !!! ( let's not go there though ok? )

I just wish I had the ability to buy more, as I would not hesitate, rain or no rain !!!

Meh, I consider most of my expensive clothing purchases to be relatively stupid in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to make those "stupid" purchases every now and then. 

My justification was in two parts:

1. Having a nice expensive hardshell means I don't really have any excuse to not walk instead of paying for transit when I travel throughout the city (6 months x $138 = $828 alone in savings for the last 6 months mine has been getting regular use)

2. It wasn't paying $1000 for a jacket, it's paying an extra $500 on top of what I would of had to have paid for any other decent quality jacket I was going to have to buy anyway.

I really don't understand what the issue is. Anyone who has looked into buying a half decent jacket knows what the cost is going to be, mall brand or otherwise. The argument can be made that some of us have too many of a certain type of jacket, but to that I'd respond, mind your fucking business. 

Exactly. And, while I'm sure plenty would argue the opposite, the technical aspects of the jacket do help me justify the value. Seeing a typical wool or leather jacket sell for $1000-2000 only helps me justify that $1000 Acronym jacket. It's all a mind game but whatever. To Hooper's point, I'd rather spend $1000 on a technical jacket that I like the look of, rather than $500 on an ugly technical jacket and $500 on a non-technical but nice-looking jacket.

Edited by MoreToasties