Is it form-fitting or is it an actual outer-ish layer? I've had a hard time figuring out what TAD calls a jacket.

The Ranger is pretty form-fitting, yes. I can wear it underneath a GT-J5a without the center panel comfortably.

I have the Praetorian. Great fit and substantial weight.

AlthoughI don't wear it much indoors. I mostly use it on outdoor stuff.

I think it's because the placket being a bit higher then I like  for day to day use and being a bearded specimen,I'd like to keep open zippers away from my face..

Finally got my Olivers shorts in from their Kickstarter. As usual with S/M/L I'm right between sizes and probably should have gone with the medium instead of large, but overall I really like them. I got them in Stealth (black) in tall. The black was a lot deeper than I thought it would be from the pictures, which is a nice surprise. I like the idea of using paracord for the drawstring and the little bag they came in will come in pretty handy. 4 way stretch is as awesome as ever.

They aren't quite as soft as Outlier's Three Ways (closer to Dungarees as far as hand feel) but I think they are more than a decent alternative, especially at half the price. At first I was worried by the lack of a fly and back pocket (I have some old elastic waist North Face climbing shorts that are pretty similar in style that have both) but I don't really foresee it being a problem. I think they are marketing them as more of active-wear that can be used casually than the other way around, which is what I got from the Three Ways. 

Edited by brooks_

Anyone have recommendations for a good balaclava? Ideal scenario would be:

• Black
  • No external logos / branding (or easily removable)
  • No seam-running-down-the-middle-of-your-face bullshit
  • Snug fit, no rippling along seams
  • Warm, windproof

http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Apparel-Accessories/Nemesis-Balaclava

Also ended up buying a pair of the Levi's Cargo Commuters from Clymb. Great, great, great (and again) GREAT, pants for the price. Something I think we've already established, $40? I think it'd be a damn near impossible challenge to find a pant that has all the technical details the Levis commuter line has for the same price.

Great pocket arrangement, I especially like the front pockets. I thought I was gonna hate it, but it totally works. Very strong taper, and the snap closures make it even more tapered if you want it to be. Same 2% elastane as the most recent version of the regular commuter trousers. However, unlike the commuter trouser which is a 511, this is just labeled as a "loose leg" fit. It really isn't a loose leg fit at all. I sized up to a 33, still very slim and the taper is strong.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants cargo pants on a budget.

been curious about the pocket layout. the front flap on hip pockets is also a snap closure pocket, no? 

do the cargo pockets follow the same build?

Feels nice, definitely not for those living in frigid weather since it doesn't bring as much insulation and heat retention as say the Mionn vest from AV. However, it's a nice feeling for cooler weather like spring and fall.

Threw it on today, but a bit too warm to wear much.

What's the temp today?

Hi all!
I'm looking for a warm jacket/parka, waterproof (membrane, seamtaped), down (or synthetic filling), slim and plain appearance.
Something like the Therme Parka (Arcterxy) or the Polar Trench (Aether). Preferably some schoeller material (c_change).

Should keep me warm for longer times outside, even without proper layering (so 2nd layer underneath). Not necessarily for high(er) activity - the parka cut will most likely avoid that - but it's important for me, that the parka doesn't add too much bulk and the jacket can also be used for more formal activities/work (also maybe without a big hood like the one of the Therme Parka...)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

We talk about this very topic a few pages ago, and some sufus suggested a few nice parkas.

PD: The Westcomb Pemberton ticks all the boxes for you (C_change, Hutterite down, plain appaerance) and it would be the perfect parka were it not for the faulted cuffs (they use the same velcro cuffs as in the climbing jackets which in this case poses a few problems - the liner pops out everytime you enter the hand, horrible aesthetic,etc), whereas a retractable cuffs would´ve been perfect - and expected in a expensive jacket).

http://shopwestcomb.com/pemberton-parka.html

PS: Strange, It seems - in the new pics - the moulded cuffs have disappeared. Gotta email them to see which system they are using now.

Edited by manuel venatof

Has anyone seen such a thing as a composite jumper/top with a built in breathable neck gaiter? Ideally merino body but I'd take a Polartec and even more ideally with thumb holes! Is this one of those things that no one makes?

there's the rapha deep winter base layer.

composite construction but mainly made out of merino, thumb holes but has a balaclava instead of the sought after neck gaiter. worth a look but only small sizes left.

Hey, I'm regretting like fuck that I passed up on a SISP bomber jacket in small, didn't know I liked it until I saw it in person. Nobody happens to have a bead on one of these in small, do they?

And damn you Tigerprawn, you just convinced me to buy that vest.

Edited by Igneousity

Yes,I read those postings about the Parkas but there were none that really were what I am looking for.

The Pemberton is quite nice but the problem with the sleeves/cuffs doesn't make this one attractive for me (too bad because the rest, except maybe the bulk, seem to be perfect)...