Thanks for the link... Although sad to say not a whole lot popped out at me. Some of the pieces look like they could be part of the mainline. I do like that the scarves and hoods are coming back and the sweaters look pretty neat.

agreed. to me the whole line has been in a slight and steady decline. the first season or two were killer, since then its been a nice piece here and there but as collections, quite underwhelming.

what's the best shell for $500 or under? my patagonia torrentshell has ripped and i need something else (has to be able to be shipped to australia) - is the outlier supermariner shell for $575 worth it? it's the max i'm willing to go since i only need a shell for 3 months a year at the most. anything else? was even considering just getting a nf venture in bright orange or something.

^keep in mind that the supermarine shell isn't actually "waterproof" just water resistant.

Now I don't know to what degree of weather resistance that entails, that's just what Outlier says in their description of the garment.

as for recommendations, check out some of Isaora's stuff?  Their summer sale is going on now and I think they still have a few riding shells from last A/W

Edited by Nebulae

Never giving up it seems....

Still don't know why this stuff isn't being produced, I know of at least 2 stores who had ordered when there was a wholesale ordering website up (believe that was F11) but then it went dead silent all of a sudden.

30tt6oh.jpg

@conqueror....

So many good shells to be found at that price point. If you can find something on sale from one of the fashionz tech brands like isaora etc, cool. Otherwise check out backcountry.com or Sierra trading post and look for offerings from westcomb, patagonia, arc'teryx, montane, haglogs, Rab, or berghaus. Should be able to find a fantastic 6-700 dollar shell on sale from any of the aforementioned on either or both of those sites

^good look on the sale at Haven & Nitty Gritty!!

I'm looking for suitable shorts for travelling. Something that I could use to jump into a lake and walk out of knowing that they will dry quick. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

thanks for the tip raised by wolves, but i'm in australia and most of those places don't ship here (or want to charge $95...woof). i just saw the veilance acutator on sale - tempted to cop...

edit: sold out when i went to add to my cart. fuck.

Edited by conqueror

^good look on the sale at Haven & Nitty Gritty!!

I'm looking for suitable shorts for travelling. Something that I could use to jump into a lake and walk out of knowing that they will dry quick. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

TADgear.

bought maharishi snoshorts and i love them, they are not techfabricy (italian microcotton) but i love the fit, look and weight of the shorts. wore them while walking in water and they were dry really quick but it was more a matter of a weather than the fabric. 

Heading out to this if anyone in SF is interested, might be cool. Tickets are only $10.

Wearable Tech Conference

So this was actually pretty interesting. Most of the discussion was around electronics being incorporated into wearables, and not a lot of focus on textiles, but still interesting. People on the panel were involved in the Nike Fuel Band, the Basis band, and a few others, with a focus on exporting biometric data and then what to do with it. It's pretty basic right now, things like pedometers, heart rate, etc, but what they're exploring is really interesting. I don't think it's necessarily far fetched to imagine developments in fabrics which respond to internal or external influences and the applications therein. They talked a lot about the "fashion" side of the businesses and how it was important, mainly in creating something that people actually wanted to wear (as opposed to something amazing, like Google Glass, which is shunned for how it looks, not what it's capable of), and how making something fashionable or trendy is a huge focus...but actually relatively easy. 

I think the biggest thing I took away from it was that creating "fashion" really is the base level. That there can be goals or aspirations in developing a product that are far greater than making something that people just think looks cool, but that the need to shape it into consumable form needs to be a major focus. What's the point of making something revolutionary if nobody wants to wear it. Just another interesting way of looking at the true "goal" in producing something. With one of the brands I work with, Endless Ammo, the "goal" was security, so we developed the F-Stop pocket, which is now patented. It's basically an overlapping pocket configuration which holds items securely, is minimal in presence, and doesn't require a fastener of any sort. 

7brs.jpg

Once we accomplished that goal, we started looking into how we can get this pretty amazing design incorporated into a product people wanted to consume, and then from there the natural evolution of designing a product which fits our target market's lifestyle. They all work together, but the original goal of security was solved...but again, if we put it on something nobody wants to wear what's the point.

Pretty thought provoking stuff imo. 

we have a handful of retailers on board, mainly in the SF area, and the webstore is being updated right now to be more reflective of the true brand image. We're sort of formally launching the right way this season, it's been a few attempts with nothing solid sticking for a couple years now as we work out the direction and identity, but I think we've finally assembled a team of really qualified people with a common vision. I've worked with a handful of brands, and I can really feel that there are legs to this...it has the right components in place to do some really cool stuff, it's just taken a bit of trial and error to get to where we are. Definitely appreciate the support tho! 

what's the best shell for $500 or under? my patagonia torrentshell has ripped and i need something else (has to be able to be shipped to australia) - is the outlier supermariner shell for $575 worth it? it's the max i'm willing to go since i only need a shell for 3 months a year at the most. anything else? was even considering just getting a nf venture in bright orange or something.

http://missionworkshop.com/products/apparel/jacket/waterproof-orion.php

This might be something you're looking for. They only have x-large though.

Someone has one for sale here in SuFu (size large):

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/149704-mission-workshop-orion-jacket/?hl=%2Bmission+%2Bworkshop#entry2955276

Edited by Flipflop214

i'm not a fan of mission (or their branding), but thanks.

Buy Gucci, you'll get something from both brands. :D

Seriously, I don't know, I love them both but Veilance is always somewhat more wearable in everyday life and business. 

If it was me and I was able to wear smaller sizes then I would be 100% ACR 

Just love the whole nine yards not into the compromise of Arc' 

Anyhow, here's a question for you ! - X-post from the ACR thread:

Love the SS11 BDU shorts but we all know they are as rare as hen's teeth.

13.jpg

Anyone know of a similar pair of LOOSE fitting BDU shorts with a very similar aesthetic that go up to a size 38" waist.

I do not like fitted looking shorts or anything too conservative and despite shedding weight I cannot seem to get below a 36' best.

I think I'll post this over in the Techwear thread too as there might be ideas from folk there.

Meanwhile with regards to the ACR shorts that are XL are they a generous 36" waist ?  - In case I track some down somewhere ( as if !  )

Might also consider getting some Goretex long pants and getting them cut down - any suggestions gladly accepted.

Edited by TEKsevenZERO

^ I think you're right about that, but I think that's why I'm not super into Veilance. A lot of the designs are much more subtle and subdued whereas ACR and say SISP make a lot of extreme decisions in the designs of their pieces... well used to anyway.

But is it really true that Arc' compromises?... If you check out interviews with Conroy he tells about how they design with function in mind and to get the best performance out of a piece of clothing. I think they are not compromising to make it 'wearable' but that Acrnm, SISP is overcomplicating things and puts features in that you don't use/need in daily life. Yes they are pushing boundaries but that doesn't automatically mean that anyone who doesn't put as much WR zips as possible on a jacket is compromising.

For daily urban life I just want a few inner pockets and strategically placed outer pockets, I don't need a zipper on the back, 6 different versions of Gore in one jacket or super special dying techniques on the fabric. 

Veilance, ACRNM and SISP are all three serving a different goal. If you would and could put them in a box I think it would be this:

Veilance: Normal day-to-day urban life, simple, elegant, quality.

SISP: Tech-fashion pushing boundaries with design and technique.

ACRNM: Playground for new patterns, zips, fabrics etc.

I never mentioned Arc'teryx compromising, but I do feel from an aesthetic point of view they take the more more subdued and subtle route as opposed to the more extremes that SISP and ACRNM take. I can appreciate both, but much rather wear the later.

Ha, seems to be where I am.......

The last Stone Island piece I bought that I really like is a taped "Ventile" jacket the others, Field jacket ,vest ,metal  jacket are ok, the Field has a liner that has to be untied to remove it ! Yes UNTIE !!!!

The Veilance that I have are used regularly with no problems. Its Hot, Humid and rainy here and the Actuator is light enough to wear....That and waterproof.

That all stated I will look at ACRNM

Thanks for the input and enjoy.

I never mentioned Arc'teryx compromising, but I do feel from an aesthetic point of view they take the more more subdued and subtle route as opposed to the more extremes that SISP and ACRNM take. I can appreciate both, but much rather wear the later.

You never mentioned the word 'compromise' but I got that vibe out of your post, sorry for that assumption.

I don't think they take that subtle route because they chose for it, they just don't have the option to do more extreme things because of their design choices, less extreme pocket designs equals a more subtle design. ACRNM and SISP need to take those extreme decisions because of the route they chose. So I don't think it's a conscious choice for any of the brands but just the final outcome of what I stated in my last post.