picked up a veilance survey jacket today, on sale. ultra-precise seam tape, laminated pockets with not a single mm of glue visible, amazing patterning.. words don't do justice to the precision and detail that's gone into this piece. really, really excited with it. i'll get some fit/detail shots tomorrow if anyone's interested.

nope, i dropped by at 290sqm to check out veilance s13 and to my staggering suprise they had a marked down survey laying around. apparently the surveys were delivered late because of problems with the fabric in the first batch, and they didn't really sell well.

here's a quick fit pic, excuse the grain as it's near dark outside.

8500983546_7f7b9379be_c.jpg

observations so far: the fit is tts, (i'm a size 38) with a little bit of room to layer under. the fabric has no stretch to it, and has a coarse, slightly stiff hand and a matte twill texture. it drapes very cleanly without the synthetic crinkly appearance associated with technical fabrics and feels absolutely bombproof. it's kind of hard to explain, but the patterning makes it look very fitted without actually being slim. i can easily layer an atom lt underneath (which is an amazing combination and makes me regret not getting my atom in black) but the jacket fits just as well over a tee.

the interior is lined with a cotton jersey which is obviously not ideal from a vapor transfer standpoint, but it's comfortable as hell next to skin and makes the jacket feel like a real jacket instead of a shell. the same goes for the face fabric which does not look technical at all. being taped windstopper it's essentially waterproof, but the cotton content of the face fabric will probably make it wet out pretty fast, despite the dwr coating. the zipper takes some getting used to as it's slightly offset and designed so that closing it automatically pulls the front wind flap/lapel against it for a good seal. zipped up, it's fully windproof. the wind flaps can be folded out to create lapels, but this doesn't really work all that well because of the fabric's sturdy hand. hopefully the pics explain this a little bit better.

it's not something you'd wear instead of a suit jacket to a formal occasion, it's really more of a three season jacket. the collar is something else, popped up it reaches almost to my ears, with the rear being the highest part. it's very, very comfortable in the icy winter winds we've been having this weekend. the sleeves are of regular lenght and will expose a bit of cuff when reaching. the pockets are very well thought out, laying completely flat and practically invisible when empty, with flaps that close down without needing snaps or velcro.

all in, this is a fucking amazing jacket. also, i'm not sure if others have noticed this with veilance pieces, but sometimes arc'teryx stuff will smell really nice right out of the bag. i don't know if this is the dwr coating or something else, but it's quite pleasant. my bravo jacket had the same smell. it's like the dead bird's take on new car smell, i guess.

pic is full res so click for details

8502642511_883e1622b4_z.jpg

Is aitorthroup.com down for everyone else or is it just me. It's been promising a new website this february and today is the last day... cabourn.com also put up a notice about a ecommerce site coming in february and yet nothing, nada, zilch. Damn shame.

site is working, but the opening splash page now says march 2013.

when does the new fall stuff come out?

i believe he is wearing the new fall jacket here.... looks great on him

luxBDYH.jpg

when does the new fall stuff come out?

well, its not exactly "fall stuff", as in a traditional seasonal collection. He is a product designer and doesn't really care for designing a season, this is a collection in the sense that its a group of items he has been working on literally for years. They have been shown since last october, and I believe some products will go to stores soon (or actually some thing(s) have already), but I have feeling they will drop in very slowly and in very limited numbers.

well, its not exactly "fall stuff", as in a traditional seasonal collection. He is a product designer and doesn't really care for designing a season, this is a collection in the sense that its a group of items he has been working on literally for years. They have been shown since last october, and I believe some products will go to stores soon (or actually some thing(s) have already), but I have feeling they will drop in very slowly and in very limited numbers.

the thing i've been wondering is..

will this be a DSM execlusive only? maybe also selfridges?

i hope it's not some london-exclusive launch

http://london.dovers...t.com/dsmpaper/

dsmpaper_comingsoon.gif

"Aitor Throup

An installation by Aitor Throup featuring the Shiva Skull Bag. On display in advance of the international release date happening on the 4th March."

Edited by Vampyrvargfesten

-

Now exhibiting until 4th March at stockist Atelier New York: Aitor Throup’s limited edition Shiva Skull Bags. The installation promotes the release of the designer’s first commercially available product archetype from the ‘New Object Research’ line. Shiva Skull Bags will be available for purchase at select retailers, including Atelier from 4th March, 2013.