I wish every brand put as much effort in breaking down their product that Stone Island does. Sure it's still marketing, borderline (I wanna say cheesy, but that's not the right word) animeish, gundamish, in delivery, but when you're paying money for something you wanna know the details.

honestly speaking the way it's presented only makes it more awesome to me.

it's almost like you're a kid and you're being outfitted with fucking awesome jawnz that you're gonna wear while going to go kick some ass somewhurr

but that's just mostly my anime-filled childhood getting to me

that aside, i'm really impressed with this season.

convert pants look like they're a little slimmer this iteration and god so much of it is sickkkkkkk

wanted to post of some pics of how INSANE the new visvim PFD is, corduroy silky soft outside, taped seam nirvana on the inside

ke79R.jpg

tMq4E.jpg

even under the buttons are taped

kqoAp.jpg

a little elastic piece at the base of the hood so that

2nHlV.jpg

this flap extends down over the zipper

tQbIg.jpg

I ended up using a half a bottle twice. probably would be darker if I had just used a full bottle once. I didnt add any salt either, so theres probably possibility for darker color than this. you can see the difference between the cuff and the outside of the pants

edit: this is a pretty bad photo. ill try and replace it tomorrow

Edited by michaelttizzle

hi,

i'm relatively new to these forums (just lurk from time to time in superawkward).

i was wondering what's a good, decently priced quick-dry tee for cycling in the summer? i'll be commuting to school/work and don't wanna get all doll'd up.

i was thinking ice breakers but $70 for a tee..... but that seems really steep

Edited by tablo

i have a bunch of uniqlo 'dry' tees, which i prefer to 100% cotton, but i also have some icebreaker shirts and underwear and there is no comparison. my washer was out for a month and change and i wore the same icebreaker boxers the whole time, hand washing in my sink a little less than once a week-- they didn't get damp or start to smell. i also stress tested an icebreaker shirt last summer, and it took 6 days and ~25 hours of walking in the sun before it started to smell.

it all stays really dry, dries really fast when wet, and does a really good job at not picking up/retaining odors. if icebreaker is too steep you could look into ex officio, i don't know much about them but i know they are per product cheaper. basically, nothing is going to perform like superfine wool, but it all depends on whether or not it's worth it to you personally.

but also keep in mind wool wears/looks/smells/feels totally differently than cotton or cotton blends

Edited by cameron-

any other brands you'd recommend besides icebreaker and ex officio?

i guess if they are that effective, it's worth the investment

i'll look for some deals on eBay or something

Edited by tablo

outlier wool shirts

rapha wool jerseys

Ibex is another good option: nice quality merino, made in USA, and they often have good sales going.

so arc'teryx designed a poncho to manufacture and give away to the homeless in vancouver.

it's called the bird's nest. they made 700 of them.

this is what it looks like:

QcNOz.jpg

so awesome looking limited edition arc'teryx poncho. how long before either 1) homeless guy gets rolled by hypebeast for poncho or 2) homeless guy gets first+last month's rent together by selling one of these

Wow. That's pretty awesome of them. They should have done it as a promotion for the poncho though and not the brand in general - that thing looks sweet. Still, helping out the unfortunate is great either way.

Edited by wurm

thanks for the article! very informative.

i understand why other brands get mad at gore-tex, but as a consumer the product has worked as advertised for me. most of these outdoor brands were built on the gore-tex name, as stated in the article. i cant hate on gore-tex defending themselves from turning into a commodity like eVent is doing.

gore-tex is the king. and the king rules with an iron fist. as long as the product still works, then the rest is just background noise.

eVent definitely made a lot of mistakes, not the least of which was using inferior face fabrics on what is arguably a superior membrane. Gore's quality control is awesome and part of that involves having high quality face fabrics (from a tech side, visually their face options are pretty shitty except for the japanese lifestyle stuff).

As for eVent licensing their membrane, this is actually an amazing thing for the consumers. It means that companies can laminate anything to the membrane and make much better fabrics because of it. I've seen some awesome chambray and denim stuff laminated to eVent and I'm sure there will be a lot more coming in the next couple seasons, the licensing thing is pretty new.

The other thing the article didn't mention is that Gore Japan (and I'm guessing Europe) are obviously is much more lenient than Gore in the US. If it wasn't for all the Japanese lifestyle stuff 90% of the Gore articles people fiend over around here wouldn't be allowed on the market. It's a bitch to get a Gore license in the first place, and the way they control the garment makes it damn hard for people to do interesting stuff. With eVent and to a certain extent Neoshell (which is WAY more comfortable than Gore btw) people can design what they want and actually make it without some anal company signing off on it.