it wasn't put together on 23rd century techninj sewing machines??

on the outlier website it says if you put them in the dryer on hot and or iron them on low it actually helps the water resistance somehow.

if any of you know more about that i'm kind of curious...

but to answer your question, idk i'm poor i don't want to mess them up... no harm in asking...

I doubt it will cause any issue to hem them,In fact I imagine if you asked them they would say the same,same for all veilance pants they are made with the intention of the wearer taking them up to their desired length.

re hot tumble dry, basically what the outlier pants have is a DWR coating (I believe) from what I understand with this treatment heat re invigorates it, so giving your product the occassional tumble dry will keep its performance optimum.

this is a good light product care guide:

http://veilance.arcteryx.com/product-care.aspx?EN

to the guy wondering if layering a Field lt will suffice for winter, the answer is yes it will, gore only protects from the elements (wind rain) it dose not keep you warm in the sense of generating any heat,it just protects from cold or wet elements. I would suggest if you want to keep all veilance get the insulator from F11 its a great piece, or the atom from arcteryx outdoor, or you could pick one of the more bargain basement equivalents from other outdoor companys.

This is how they explained me

The gore tex is a coating which slowly cracks and breaks off the surface with movement.

Heating the coating again makes it get back at the places it got broken off of and providing a even watertight but thinner coating on it.

That's where the special washing liquids come in . They contain the coating too and drying the item makes the the coating evenly spread to.

Thing where Gore stays wet is because the taped seams break down or the surface of the coat gets damaged...

^ Waterproof/breathable jackets have either a coating or a membrane - like Gore. If the membrane gets dirty, it "clogs" up and will no longer breath. Hence the need to keep it clean. Because many commercial washing products will also clog the pores, Gore has it's recommended cleaning products (Nikwax, etc).

Re wearing in winter - the warmth of a jacket depends on it's ability to trap the heat generated by your body. Uninsulated jackets by themselves - like shells - don't trap heat well. If you layer underneath, with fleece, etc, you'll be plenty warm.

Edit: It's often recommended to throw your shell into the dryer after washing - this is where the "heating" you mentioned comes in. The heat reactivates the "DWR" (durable water-repellant coating), which makes precipitation bead up and run off the jacket, instead of wetting out.

thanks you all for answering questions on heat + dwr/nanosphere

Re: the $1000 jacket thing... if you buy a 1k leather it will look like an expensive jacket to other people too. A 1k shell will just look like a shell, even if it took 3 years of R&D.

Also there's that blazer again, haha (veilance)

i guess really the blazer question is the same as a the $1000 goretex jacket vs $1000 leather jacket.

or actually my original complaint was about cut, so maybe its a little different. techwear companies don't cut goretex jackets like leather jackets (or at least, not normally if they ever do...) where as for a blazer cut is really, really important. waterproofing/breathability and hidden magnetic closures and collar tab closures really aren't the most important parts...

That's because you think of it for the wrong purpose.

Tech companies are huge on patterns/cutting! It's one of the core things.

Acronym is all about cutting for movement, for not restricting you in your activities etc. it's one of the most important things they do.

Veilance is cut with great clean, classic, stylish lines and features like gusseted underarms to give you more freedom while moving.

If you're getting married, going to a formal dinner etc. go and get your nice quality, cut to the body, hand measured blazer out.

But if you're going somewhere where ''casual-chic'' applies, then get out your tech blazer to give you full element protection but no restriction in movement and still that extra touch of formal dressing to not be too casual.

It's all about using the right piece of clothing for the right occasion.

Just like jeans, trousers, and bags.

yeah so then its back to spending $700 on a blazer i'm not going to formal things in...

i really have no hate for anyone who buys a techwear blazer. just saying its def out of my price range, and for the most part the ones i've seen (only pictures, never tried on) have seemed oddly cut. too boxy or too many weird details or whatever it is. haven't seen one that price irrelevant i would really wear based on cut and details.

I know you're not ''hating'', just different opinions ;)

From experience I know how 'hard' it is too make productshots from clothing.

I've used everything from ducktape up to hair clips to get model in some pieces, and we're talking about jackets from the 400+ up till 1000 range here.

I'm not trying to talk it straight but never trust productshots from websites, they don't give a good image of a piece. You can only get that by really trying something on.

I understand you're problem with the blazer cuts, but it also need to be regular S/M/L/XL so you have to make consessions somewhere. Because it is not tailored it will never fit anybody exactly how it is supposed too.

They fit exactly like any other non-tailored blazer, impossible to be perfect but just good enough.

And why should you only wear a blazer to formal things? I wear blazer-like jackets multiple times a week. From formal straight-up blazers to trashed, edgy, 'look like a bum but pay 500 dollars' blazers with threads hanging loose etc.

It's a bit like those Outlier pants, there not real smart dress pants but they are great for wearing at the office (well for me at least, but hey I could even go to the office in sweatpants), or taking someone out to dinner to a nice but not michelin star nice restaurant.

http://hypebeast.com/2011/09/rumor-nike-to-buy-under-armour/

Speculation has quietly begun surrounding a potential pairing between Nike Inc. and Under Armour Inc. According to the London Times, Nike has been considering a takeover bid to for several months now and a deal could be in the works. Posing significant financial advantage to Nike’s already impressive subsidiary umbrella, a deal could also mean substantial expansion to Under Armour’s relatively small international business. Closing out Thursday with a share value of $76.82 USD, the newspaper suggests that Nike may be prepared to offer upwards of $100 USD per share for the Baltimore, Maryland based athletic brand. While substantive information is still forthcoming, many analysts and periodicals have already begun to debate the logic and repercussions of a Nike/Underarmour takeover scenario.

I'm suspecting something for GIRA?

tumblr_lrmpdjoTAd1qb9lido1_500.png

^ DWR and Nanosphere are actually two distinct fabric treatments, which have superficially similar effects.

DWR, used for example to treat Gore-Tex, involves depositing a layer of fluropolymer onto the surface of or intermingling with a fabric. Fluropolymers don't attract water molecules so water tends to bead up on the surface of a textile treated in this way rather than soak into it. [1]

Scholler nanosphere treatment (as used in outlier trousers) works differently. It involves covering a textile with lots of nanoparticles that make its surface very rough. A rough surface (rough at the nanometre level) repels water in a different way, apparently through "suction and de-wetting" [2].

DWR wears off reasonably quickly, which is why you need to re-waterproof goretex jackets. The fluropolymer that constitutes it probably changes its crystal structure in response to heating and cooling, which in turn affects its interaction with water molecules and hence the level of waterproofing it confers. Ironing it changes the crystal structure of the fluropolymer into one that is more hydrophobic (this is a guess on my part). A Nanosphere coating on the other hand is supposed to be very thermally stable (up to 1700C [3]), plus it is water repellent because of its roughness, so ironing it shouldn't make it more water repellent. No need to iron your climbers.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durable_water_repellent

[2]http://www.jeffjournal.org/papers/Volume3/3.4.1_Brown.pdf

[3]http://www.nanosphere.ch/index.php?id=44&L=%271

Just got a pair of Outlier Climbers in the mail, seriously like the nicest pants i've ever copped. So happy with the fit, quality, style errrrrrytin. I exchanged a pair of 4 season og's for em and i wasn't super happy with the fit of those, but cot dayum these are nice I'm like elated n shit i'll post a fit soon.