I'm liking the olive Field Jacket but holy fuck, as near as damn it $1000. I know this is not a surprise to Arc'teryx fans but still, damn!

To me, it seems that people don't flinch at $1k for an overcoat or leather jacket but seem to think a waterproof coat should never be that much? Why is that?

Not hating, just trying to understand, it seems pretty common to think that way.

To me, it seems that people don't flinch at $1k for an overcoat or leather jacket but seem to think a waterproof coat should never be that much? Why is that?

Not hating, just trying to understand, it seems pretty common to think that way.

Because the material itself is so thin, it doesn't feel like much (until you use it where it is made for).

Also the quality in wool and leather is much easier to feel/see for people who are not interested in that kind of stuff and they don't understand how much construction and research are needed for waterproof jackets.

It's just plain old ignorance.

I'm not saying that they aren't worth that and personally I don't have the disposable income to pay that much for any coat (not without serious thought, anyway) One thing though, I do feel man made fiber, which can easily be produced in any quantity should not have the premium that wool or leather can carry.

I very much appreciate the research that goes into tech/athletic clothing. However most of it never lives up to it's claims and most of the waterproof stuff leaks, somewhere, sooner or later.

This super good stuff is probably more reliable and worth the money though. Sadly I'm not sure I'll ever get to find out.

No hate intended in original post.

I think there is just not any good communication out there,to really explain to people what they are buying,and what it dose for you. I think very often when people are disappointed with a top end tech product it is more a case that they have brought the wrong item for a purpose.

even in this thread the seeming lack of understanding of what a product or fabric dose is pretty high,its not anyones fault as the info is to be honest not fully out there in an easily digestible way,and unless you have a foundation it is hard to take on and understand.

man made fabrics are not cheap,simply in this world nothing good is cheap,you can get a cheap version but you get what you pay for....and that is reflected in the end product,in a tech product finish is just as important if not more than the fabric as that is what sets a part a top end product from one that just looks the part,if you open up a jacket and look at how the taping is finished how neatly how small the seam allowance is etc this is where the craft is,this is where your $$ is going and this is what keeps you dry.

The age old feeling of a heavy garment is a good one also dose not help a modern tech garment for winter in the marketplace as simply average jo picks it up and thinks 'no way can something this light keep me warm enough',

I have 2 jackets which are polar opposites of each other they sort of have the same purpose (extreme warmth) one was designed decades ago as pure function (everest parka) and the other design a year or so ago (insulated shell veilance) they both have their aesthetic merits I brought both for how I look in them, as well as their beauty as a product. but where in the modern age the everest falls down, because it is heavy,it can and dose get damp,its not good in confined spaces,you cant really travel with it as it would take up half your luggage etc, the insulated shell for urban/travel kills it, its good to go warmth wise down to minus 15 or more with just a sweater it weighs nothing and can pack down to about size of a football, it dose not take on water and the insulation even if water got in the fibres do not absorb water (prima loft) both are fantastic pieces but only 1 is really fit for urban use.

the thing is,a sales assistant in a lifestyle store would likely never be able to communicate this to you,the best your likely to get is 'this is really technical'

Its the weight that gets you. We are kind of conditioned or hard wired to equate weight with warmth and to an extent quality. When you first feel a product like the insulated shell for the first time and without product knowledge it just feels so unsubstantial. It takes a little time to reveal itself to you. To actually believe it will work. Thats the thing and its quite difficult to communicate unless you expierence of the product or the materials.

That said most of us, especially if you live in a temprate climate like the UK dont need clothing designed at this level. We buy for look and then justify the purchase and the expense with technical information.

Just like an important function of advertising. Not to sell the product but to reassure the recent buyer

And don't forget the fact that many people just don't care about it.

They buy a 'winter' jacket from H&M, it's cotton, it keeps them relatively warm and when it rains the jacket will absorb the water.

They don't care about dampness, weight of the garment (the heavier the warmer! even when it's soaking wet...) or use in confined spaces.

They just need to keep their t-shirt/sweater dry for a couple of minutes, and thats all that those jackets do.

A good 'tech' jacket is usually dry in a matter of minutes, you think they care? they just lay it over the heater in the hallway and forget about it.

I don't even know why I care exactly!

But I do, and when that started (years ago) I began reading up on tech fabrics, construction, patterns, terminology, theory's etc. etc.

And what can I do with all this? drop some knowledge on a forum and keep myself dry for those minutes I walk in the rain.

Oh yeah and it looks hella cool off course.

I would never return to 'normal' jackets knowing what my collection of tech jackets is capable of but I can understand why people would say that we are crazy for spending these amounts of money for such little extra comfort.

i agree with a lot of the responses thus far but ultimately it's because tech outerwear is lke street food - it's supposed to be functional and casual, not luxurious

its not going to ruin a pair of outlier climbers if i hem them right? like they're a textile like any other in that sense?

No it's not, I've hemmed my 4 season pants a while ago, try to find a nice place to hem them, now my left hem's all crooked coz I only payed like 2 bucks for it

i'm debating on whether to get an Acronym or Arcteryx valence jacket.. any input?

Acronym is much steezier IMO, but also harder to pull off for the regular joe blow whereas Veilance is designed for the regular guy. Acronym will also run you about 300-400 bucks more for a gore piece than Veilance......anyways Acronym for the win!

Acronym is much steezier IMO, but also harder to pull off for the regular joe blow whereas Veilance is designed for the regular guy. Acronym will also run you about 300-400 bucks more for a gore piece than Veilance......anyways Acronym for the win!

Haha thanks... Anyone interested in buying a Sophnet Goretex Mountain Parka BNWT Size 3?

No it's not, I've hemmed my 4 season pants a while ago, try to find a nice place to hem them, now my left hem's all crooked coz I only payed like 2 bucks for it

no its not = no its not going to ruin them

or

no its not = no its not like another textile.

i'll assume the first one

i'm going to just do it myself

although honestly i kind of like having cuffs right now... idthink thats techninj approved tho right?

no its not = no its not going to ruin them

or

no its not = no its not like another textile.

i'll assume the first one

i'm going to just do it myself

although honestly i kind of like having cuffs right now... idthink thats techninj approved tho right?

had to hem mine and they turned out fine