Anyone know where I could pick up something similar to nonnatives dobby storm parkas they did a while back? basically a light navy parka with technical detailing.

2eeir92.jpg

maybe a nomad?

Nonnative Hiker maybe? On sale at oki-ni:

http://www.oki-ni.com/mens-casual-jackets/nonnative-nylon-hiker-rip-stop-jacket/invt/non0838nvy/

I just received the last large, love the fit & detailing on it.

man i sort of got handmedowned some outlier 4 seasons. they're really comfy. haven't tested any of the actually techy parts of them, but just as far as pants go they're definitely comfortable.

EDIT: actually, after looking at their website i think i have climbers. which in any event are still mad comfy.

edit2: and yes, comfy much

that was one of the best videos I've seen a long time. Really does help one understand the garments better. And to see them on, moving, etc made them look far better than static pictures.

hats off

I wonder how tapered the 2nd pants are... need some tech pants that have more rigidity in 'em than say Outlier.

Picked up the Outlier Storm King Parka in cobalt blue on pre-order... showed up yesterday. Loving it so far but can't raintest until this weekend. They don't claim waterproofness but more ambiguously that it "keeps you dry in the rain for hours" due to [marketing] you can read the pitch on their site.

Fabric is really soft and extremely breathable. Definitely the most comfortable shell I own.

Cut is cool, I took their advice and ordered 1size down... I'm almost without exception size large (6'3" 190) and the medium is roomy without layers.

A few days ago American Rag had the size M Isaora shorts with integrated leggings on sale for about $50. Came very close to buying them, but they were just too big. Good price on those if anyone is looking.

Picked up the Outlier Storm King Parka in cobalt blue on pre-order... showed up yesterday. Loving it so far but can't raintest until this weekend. They don't claim waterproofness but more ambiguously that it "keeps you dry in the rain for hours" due to [marketing] you can read the pitch on their site.

Fabric is really soft and extremely breathable. Definitely the most comfortable shell I own.

Cut is cool, I took their advice and ordered 1size down... I'm almost without exception size large (6'3" 190) and the medium is roomy without layers.

It's made out of ventile, as I expect you know, which isn't classed as waterproof as it doesn't do well in a lab test for how waterproof a fabric is (number of mm of water that can be suspended above a piece of fabric).

I own a jacket made out of the stuff and have tested it in heavy downpours. I found that it keeps me dry, however there is a slight sensation of moistness after being out in the rain for a long time, which I only notice if I am just wearing a t shirt under the jacket. I'd say that this is in no way a problem for city use.

It's also much more breathable than synthetic jackets, much tougher and requires no looking after or re-waterproofing. Heavier though.

It's not Ventile...it's Etaproof.

Yes its base is Ventile, but it has a DWR finish applied to it which makes it Etaproof + manufactured in Switzerland instead of the UK.

The DWR finish also makes the fabric less breathable. (one of the reasons it isn't called Ventile).

But i'm just being annoying with this stuff ^

Re-waterproofing though will be needed!

DWR wears off over time so you will need to re-spray or re-soak the jacket at a certain point in time.

Hadn't given much thought on Ventile vs. Etaproof and Cloud_SB made some good points. Stotz licenses Ventile from Talbot and then throws on a factory applied DWR. Owning a few different garments in Etaproof and regular Ventile, I'd say tactilely there's not much difference, but I prefer having the DWR on there. In real life, Ventile without the DWR wets out noticeably quicker, whereas I feel the Etaproof stuff is functionally almost on the same level as most WPG softshells.

I must say that in normal rain conditions I prefer wearing Etaproof as it makes less noise (why birdwatchers prefer it also), is warmer and looks less 'performance-wear' then my Gore-Tes shell jackets.

In normal too heavy rain I prefer my Gore shells as they give optimal protection to the rain and the Etapaproof will get moist.

In heavy to OMG a freaking flying cow! kinda storm rain I prefer the Veilance 410N Gore-Tex, AB-SO-LUTELY! freaking love it! Best gore fabric I have in my possession and will also do a good job during winter with some layering underneath.

^^^ interesting stuff.

This is what I wore out in reasonable rain today:

DSC_3510_done.jpg

SI ventile jacket

outlier

raf simons

Was only wearing a t-shirt under the jacket and my exposed arms felt a bit too moist for my liking. Weather was warm so wasn't too much of a problem. Not sure if ventile is a good choice for heavy rain plus cold weather, but perhaps a wool.

/fleece midlayer would allow me to remain warm despite the dampness. Think a gore 3/4 length might be a better choice however.

the thing with ventile especially without the dwr is although maybe the water cant get through,it can and dose sit on the surface and begin to absorb even if this dose not result on actual wetness it will result in cold feeling against skin which can feel like 'wet', this also applies to lifestyle gore (japanese brands mainly as its different rules for gore jp than rest of world) cotton and wool faced if and when the dwr start to deteriorate with wear, the water will not get through the gore membrane but it will sit in the face fabric making the wearer feel cold.

the thing with ventile especially without the dwr is although maybe the water cant get through,it can and dose sit on the surface and begin to absorb even if this dose not result on actual wetness it will result in cold feeling against skin which can feel like 'wet', this also applies to lifestyle gore (japanese brands mainly as its different rules for gore jp than rest of world) cotton and wool faced if and when the dwr start to deteriorate with wear, the water will not get through the gore membrane but it will sit in the face fabric making the wearer feel cold.

I want to work this phrase into everyday conversation from now on. ;)

^ yeah they are. Like em except they are well stretchy and tight so I can't put my wallet in them as it looks stupid.

3l gore with a working DWR coating is more waterproof than ventile I guess, but having to keep the coating up to scratch seems like a bit of a chore. Also am nervous of putting goretex in the tumble drier after an accident that left a jacket de-laminated...was very upsetting. I guess there are other shell materials (like scholler c-change) but I'm not familiar with how they work and I suspect they also suffer from the problem of water lying on the garment and reducing breathability.

According to some outdoor gear forum I stumbled across the only answer is a Milspex style poncho for dealing with really heavy weather.