Denim Repair

obsessis

Should I repair my FH 3001's preemptively? Following are some pics after 40+ days of non-conecutive wear. I already see hallmarks of inevitable crotch blowout, probably sooner than later relative to wear in other areas. I'm live near several reputable denim tailors (Denim Dr's, Simon Tailors). Will reinforcing the crotch at this early stage even help matters, or will I waste my money?

FHCrotch5.jpg

FHCrotch4.jpg

FHCrotch.jpg

The outer selvage seam on my APC's has always been kinda lose since i got them (they've split in such a way none of my other "lesser" jeans have.) The knee for example you can almost see my leg through the whole there.

I'm pretty sure it's dodgy craftsmanship in this case that wasn't apparent when i got them until i started towear them.

Anyway is there a way to fix this - it looks like if i sew another line of thread down it it should fix it at the moment from the inside the thread looks rather lose on one side.

i don't really have pictures, but i've been wearing these black nudies for a little over a year straight and there was an impending crotch blow out, and a small hole in which the black denim frayed away a bit but the white weft was still there

anyways my mom (who used to be a tailor) ironed on a piece of mesh nylon thing about half a circle on the thinning fabric, then she sewed the border twice over to really keep it in place. then she zigged zagged the hole over. even though she did this for quick repairs because she couldn't find some black denim to sew under it, she said it would be better because since my jeans are skinny, the extra black fabric might be too bulky

I got a little 1 inch snag in my Dior MIJs from sitting at this desk, but it's right on the knee so it keeps getting bigger. I'm in Florida so I'm going to probably have to send it off for repair. Any recommendations? I'm scared to take them to my local tailor!

hdsy, nice wear on the sams. the repair job is on point, too. it seems a lot of people get their work done very preemtively( if i spelled that right) i guess an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...ill wait a while until mine are a bit more destroyed before i get any repairs, even though i really need them.

I have a 1" tear around the crotch. I was a bit weary to try to repair them but seeing all these pics in this thread has inspired me. Question: Should I wash them before repairing? They're Earnest Sewn Fulton #50- probably one wash. I haven't washed them yet... they're only about 4 months old and I haven't been wearing them everyday.

Before:

32560249ne7.th.jpg72131175hy8.th.jpg

First pic shows the damage. 25 mm "hole" in the left leg. Second pic shows some minor wearing in the right leg. Not a tear yet but looked like one in the making. Also note that the second pic was taken after repair of the hole in the left leg was done. I just wanted to show the damage in the right leg.

After:

82180303vg7.th.jpg60630625ol6.th.jpg18584686un0.th.jpg

I based my repair on the post by hdsy (I think) in this thread. I'm still learning with the sewing machine and if I did it again, there are things that I would do differently. FWIW, I'm satisfied with the repair and no one can see it anyways so I'm not too worried about the judging eyes of others... :P

The weft was braking in the line of the whiskers. And I wear them low, and I use them quite alot.

Also, I think that once a tear has formed it will just keep on ripping. But if I had this reinforcement before they tear they wont tear as soon.

I personally think its a good idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Nudies, 4 months

I got lazy and waiting too long before I took proactive measure on the cotch and paid for it with a big fuck off rip in the crotch. I took them in this is what I got back 1 week later.

Picture1-2.png

Picture 1 is pre tear, picture 2 is post tear and picture 3 and 4 are repairs outside and in. Sorry about picture 2, my cameras was playing up and the lense cover wouldn't stay open.

I took some proactive measures today and did my first denim repair. I reinforced my back pocket and where my phone rubs on my thigh. I'm really happy with the results and my skills!

Picture2-1.png