Denim Repair

obsessis

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to do my own crotch repair using an old SINGER sewing machine that my grandmother has in her basement.

So my grandmother took the time to show me how to thread this machine and ultimately how to use it. It is not the easiest sewing machine to thread but after a few practice runs I think I have it nailed.

My 710's were in desperate need of a crotch repair and I decided to use my newly acquired skills to do my own crotch repair. Earlier I attempted to do the repair by hand but that failed horribly. Actually the failed attempt by hand helped secure the small piece of denim in place so that the small patch did not move while I was shifting my 710's around in the machine.

Here is the SINGER sewing machine (Kiya maybe you can shed some light on what year/model this sewing machine is from)

IMGP2737.jpg

IMGP2736.jpg

Below you can see the thread that feeds the sewing machine. My grandmother ran out of blue thread so I used black thread for the repair

IMGP2747.jpg

Here I have just taken out the white thread and re-threaded the machine with the black thread.

IMGP2748-1.jpg

A close up of the needle

IMGP2740.jpg

This is the pedal that is used to operate the needle.

IMGP2739.jpg

Here I am about to feed my 710's into the SINGER!

IMGP2746.jpg

I had to be very careful not to sew the pocket bags together and to make sure the denim was always flat to ensure I did not sew together any folds in the denim!

IMGP2741.jpg

Action shot

IMGP2742.jpg

Not sure of the year but it's at least 25 years old and it's a machine that was designed for industrial (not home) use.

It'll last you forever if you just get it serviced regularly and parts are readily available for that machine.

Thanks for the info Kiya.

Glad to hear that there are parts out there for this machine. She was telling me that this machine was used in factories but I wasn't sure if she knew what she was talking about. Now I know=) I should always listen to my elders =)

just dropped my evisu no.1 2000s off at self edge ny for some repairs. there weren't any holes yet, but there were some spots where the denim was getting thin and the back pocket pocketbags came unstitched so i figured it was worth getting them done now. will post some pics in a week or so when i get them back.

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have experience with this guy:

http://www.thedenimdoctor.co.uk/

thanks in advance

Yes,

What repair do you want him to do? I had a crotch repair done and I had to send it back as the initial repair was too flimsy. It was too expensive and not great imho so I'll stick to my trusted tailor in future (Dale in Covent Garden).

Let me know if you need more info.

I tapered my Imperials and now there too tight at my calves. I was wondering if they can re taper them to make it wider again? is that possible?

I'm sorry but I find this really funny :D Did you screw up when measuring? :D

• 1 month later...

so the overlock stitching on the inseams of my contest eternals is unraveling, and the edges of the denim are fraying, as seen in this photo:

5670567845_1d1ef4bfcb_z.jpg

i'm referring to the white stitching at the top - you can see it properly set in the upper right. this is unraveling a few different spots on each leg of my jeans.

my question is, do i need to worry about this and does it need to be repaired? will the denim fray all they way down to the gold chainstitching and beyond, or am i ok leaving it alone?

any help or insight would be appreciated. thanks!

Here are some repairs that I did on Self Edge NY's new (to us) Singer darning machine.

This is a crotch rip that went all the way to the seam. I started by running a few threads across to reestablish the shape of the jean, which allows me to maintain tension as I continue:

repairs_1-500x331.jpg

I've created the weft threads, so now I am going to turn it around and do the warp threads:

repairs_2-500x331.jpg

The final product isn't the prettiest but it's very strong and won't go anywhere for a long time:

repairs_3-500x331.jpg

These are a pair of 3sixteen+ 10BSPs with a minor crotch hole:

repairs_3sbsp_before-500x331.jpg

After:

repairs_3sbsp_after-500x331.jpg

This is a crotch reinforcement - no holes had formed yet, so I didn't have to darn as densely. This looks a lot less intrusive than covering a hole:

repairs_reinforce_front-500x331.jpg