Denim Repair

obsessis

• 2 weeks later...

Stepped up my sewing game. Bought this 201 off marketplace a couple weeks ago and looking forward to putting it through its paces. This thing is heavy as shit lol.

20231114_194056.jpg

@reallypeacedoff where I am in the states they go for 2-300 in working condition, some online prices may exceed that, but this was one of Singer's most popular and enduring models so you shouldn't have trouble finding one locally with a bit of searching. There are a few variations of the 201 (as with most Singers), so it's best to make sure you do some prior research to make sure you're getting something that will work for you. Here is a good resource for them. The 201-2 is my personal preference as it has a potted (integral gear-driven) motor which provides more torque and stability than the standard belt-drive motor, but maintenance on these motors can be a bit more complicated. There's also an aluminum version that came out in the 60s that cuts the weight of the machine by 15 pounds or so lol. But the 201 itself is a great heavy-duty domestic machine that can definitely handle most denim-related work you'd want to do. Highly recommended!

Edited by chicote

1 hour ago, reallypeacedoff said:

If you don't mind, what's a ballpark figure on one of those @rbeck?

I paid $175 which seems to be a fair price. The guy I bought it off of refurbishes old singers in his free time, so this one came ready to run. Also came with the buttonholer. You could realistically find one for closer to $100 if you look hard enough. The 15-91 and 201 are the two I set my sights on, and if I found a better deal on a 15-91 I'd have probably gone with it instead. 

I started actively looking for 201s and 15-91s on a Tuesday morning and by lunch I had scheduled to meet this guy the next day, so I'd be shocked if you had issues tracking one down. They're readily available, affordable, and bombproof. 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:30 AM, rbeck said:

Stepped up my sewing game. Bought this 201 off marketplace a couple weeks ago and looking forward to putting it through its paces. This thing is heavy as shit lol.

20231114_194056.jpg

I have the same machine. It plows through leather, denim and all sorts of heavy fabrics. 

Posted in the Warehouse thread recently about my 1001xx DSB which, among many other repairs, had just had their back pocket patched up. Did the same repair yesterday on my 601xx and thought I’d document it a little better. Pictures should tell the story okay.

OkGxgyE.jpg

o5P2SV9.jpg

YIU2pZ5.jpg

uhffhPH.jpg

dTqJGIi.jpg

P7hfvVc.jpg

Forgot to photo the final product, but it looks about the same as it did on the 1001xx…

On 12/3/2023 at 6:44 PM, Mr Black said:

I have the same machine. It plows through leather, denim and all sorts of heavy fabrics. 

Any tips on where to find edge stitch feet? Hoping to find 1/8" and 3/8" so I can do flat felled seams with ease. Maybe an adjustable one if that exists? There's plenty of fixed 1/4" options, but that won't do me much good...

I see a lot of sites suggesting stitch in the ditch feet for edge stitching, but that only works if your machine has an adjustable needs position lol.

Edited by rbeck

• 2 weeks later...

Wow what an impressing repair job!!

Keep the old parts so you can compare them with the new worn in areas in one year or so

Edited by swiss-jeansfreak
Misspelling

• 3 weeks later...

Washing machine did a number on the neck seam and collar of my jacket. Not gonna worry about the collar since that's not structural, but the tear at the seam had to be fixed. 

Had some bobbin tension issues so I'm not crazy proud of this repair, but it'll hold. 

20240109_174043.jpg

20240109_174039.jpg

20240109_184435.jpg

20240109_184415.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d share some valuable information - chainstitching with a Union Special 11500g now available in the UK by Tommy including denim repair. I’ll be sending him my jeans for repair and hemming, check his work out on https://www.instagram.com/nimes_deniming?igsh=dHp2ZWFlaXdreWtm

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 11:55 AM, Skeese said:

Thought I’d share some valuable information - chainstitching with a Union Special 11500g now available in the UK by Tommy including denim repair. I’ll be sending him my jeans for repair and hemming, check his work out on https://www.instagram.com/nimes_deniming?igsh=dHp2ZWFlaXdreWtm

IMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.646802395a3ca940f7b6e862aedf5c65.jpeg  IMG_1334.thumb.jpeg.c288993aa47066d58015ba66e212e41c.jpegIMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.2ca5f72fd00a8da0c163071293f1c26e.jpeg

• 1 month later...