Denim Repair

obsessis

My favorite pair of jeans had a hole that started. At first it was small and kind of cool, now it is a long slit across the knee area (5 inches or so). I'm thinking about fixing it and trying to reinforce that area somehow so the other small hole doesn't stretch out (prob. won't since it's up higher). What are your suggestions for the slit/hole? I can sew them up but don't want to look like some little kid who's mom sewed up the pants he worn out. Is there anything I can do to make it look alright or 'cool'?

i can't use a sewing machine. i can fix computers that's about it.

i guess i'm looking for more of a 'DIY punk rock' type of fix, something easy that anyone can do(not PUNK RAWK looking). I guess i could try using my mom's sewing machine but I'd probably fuck shit up worse than it is.

I am thinking maybe just sew it together and have it leave a 'scar' but somehow have it look alright???

• 1 year later...

It's been on my mind to have a dedicated denim repair thread. With jeans being worn harder and longer and with construction problems from cotton thread on Skulls and Warehouse jeans, it would help to have some advice on self repair. So post your repairs and discuss stiches threads etc

^Thanks guys

This advice comes from the 45rpm website

"Remake your worn out denim from last year's, along with the arrival of the New Year!

Happy New Year! The first theme of the denim story this year is "how to remake your denim items". We will introduce you the techniques of how to remake your old denim items you don't really wear these days and customize them into something totally new, along with the coming of the New Year. What you need is a household sewing machine, scissors and a piece of cloth as a patch. We will have a pair of denim jeans as an example this time. Are you ready?

<1> Clean the hall

When the denim is worn out or torn, it is usually the warp threads that are broken while the weft isn't. What you do is to place these broken warp threads properly and iron them. If they are too ragged, then cut off these threads.

<2> Cut the side of jeans open

If the hall is made around the knee area, cut 20cm of the stitched side near the knee area open. It might be easier if you reverse the jeans and cut off a few stitched parts with scissors. There is no need to do this if it is reachable with a sewing machine, like the bottom or the crotch areas.

<3> Set up a sewing machine

Use a thin thread like no.60 for the sewing machine. If possible, try to adjust the color of the thread along with the gradation of washed out denim. Also try to use a thin needle in order for it to blend in to the woven texture.

<4> Stitch the patch from the back side of the hall

Next step is to baste the patch on top of the hall of the reversed jeans then sew it with a sewing machine from the surface of the denim. For the patch, try to find a 100 % cotton fabric that has once been washed as to avoid shrinking. The color of the fabric is preferred to be similar to the denim.

<5> Lock stitching

Lock stitch the parts which have been basted. Try to focus sewing more on the parts that are worn off or torn. The length and the width of the sewing parts can be up to your preference. When the lock stitching is done, reverse the jeans again then trim off the extra bits of the cloth. Finally, stitch the side parts that were cut open then it's all completed.

The tips to finishing it nicely is to use the proper thread and the needle for the sewing machine. Also try to find the patch that has the similar texture to the denim. This remaking technique can be applied to other items as well. Once you know how to do the subtle remaking, we will introduce you another remaking technique that adds extra uniqueness to your fashion in the next issue. See you next month.

photo1.jpg

When the jeans is torn off, it is usually the warp threads that are broken. Trim them and place them properly before stitching the patch from the backside.

photo2.jpg

For the patch cloth, the best fabric is a dungaree. Beginners are advised to place the patch with a double sided tape first then use the sewing machine.

photo3.jpg

When the patch is basted it looks like this. Can you see the threads are going vertically over the hall?

photo4.jpg

Lock stitching is done and it's completed. Using various kinds of threads and changing the sewing sizes, the finished result can look as subtle as this."

My wallet destroyed the left side of my pocket, so I had to do some surgery.

skullpocket003a.jpg

The only thing holding the pocket on was the dagger.

pocketrepair001a.jpg

I went to my local craft store and found some Singer brand thread called "blue jean" that's a nice golden color, almost the same as the color of my Skulls. It feels thicker than regular thread too, so this should hold up forever.

[i'm thinking about taking one or two of my pairs to a professional denim repairer around here in LA. i should post before and afters here

sounds good chicken some professional opinion would be appreciated

mrpenguin354 nice job and good advice reminded me of

waywt143he9.jpg
[i understand your shock.

I have two option for you.

option A

when you send it back to Japan. we can repair the stitch of pocket.

but, shipping fee may be very high for repair.

option B

You could try repairing by yourself.

For repair, we can send you the original thread for the stitch by post.

as it is made out of 100% cotton, it breaks sometime.

but we like it as the vintage style

We will support it perfectly so that you may repair.

You only prepare one needle and a little courage.

Would you challenge?

which resulted in

dsc44462hu5.jpg

couldn't find pics of repair

Before shinichi is inundated with requests perhaps he could comment on repair or providing thread?

I have been wanting to repair some of the cuffs on a couple pairs of my jeans, but am lacking in quality denim to repair them with. Anyone know any place that sells "scrap" quality denim? I am surprised that no denim company, Samura, SC, etc. have denim repair kits. I would fork over some dough for one easily.

Anyone here have any left over denim they would be willing to part with? I would pay for it.

I have been wanting to repair some of the cuffs on a couple pairs of my jeans, but am lacking in quality denim to repair them with. Anyone know any place that sells "scrap" quality denim? I am surprised that no denim company, Samura, SC, etc. have denim repair kits. I would fork over some dough for one easily.

Anyone here have any left over denim they would be willing to part with? I would pay for it.

I've got some patch size pieces of red line selvedge left over, maybe 2"x2" and I can spare some from the yard I've got, if people PM me what they need I'll get back to you. I would just charge the shipping cost that's it. Won't be able to send stuff out until after Thanksgiving because my denim is at home.

PM me, we'll work stuff out (this goes for anyone who needs it)