Denim Repair

obsessis

There's a lot of crotch repairs in this thread, but I haven't found any info on repairing hems. Is it possible? If so, how would I go about fixing them?? The hems on my sams have ripped apart, and I don't know how much longer they'll hold. Here's some pics:

CIMG6757.jpgCIMG6750.jpgCIMG6746.jpg

There's a lot of crotch repairs in this thread, but I haven't found any info on repairing hems. Is it possible? If so, how would I go about fixing them?? The hems on my sams have ripped apart, and I don't know how much longer they'll hold.

Hem repair:

ec40_3.jpg

I guess all you would have to do is take the chainstitch off and sew back and forth like crotch repair, then have it chainstiched again...

Here's some ass repair too:

8bab_3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
quick question about putting in a patch to stop a crotch blow out: does the patch have to be denim? i could use another material, but am afraid that it will be too weak to withstand the level of wear.

use spider silk strands--strongest fibers known, natural or manmade

p.s. i like the double entendre in the title of this thread

quick question about putting in a patch to stop a crotch blow out: does the patch have to be denim? i could use another material, but am afraid that it will be too weak to withstand the level of wear.

I'm sure a thick herringbone cloth would be strong enough to withstand wear and if you found a nice blue to compliment the jeans it could be as good or better than patching with denim.

p.s. i like the double entendre in the title of this thread

I just got this

The stitching method mentioned in the 45rpm method is a lock stitch so called because you stitch two intertwining thread both over and under the cloth like so

320px-Lockstitch.png

This seems to be the stitch used in most of the professional repairs seen so far.

I was under the impression this could only be carried out by a sowing machine but the same stitch can be performed with a 'sewing awl' not certain of how this works exactly but i believe they come with instruction.

awl.jpg

This seems most commonly used for repairs of more robust materials like leather canvas etc

Does anyone with experience know if such a method could be applied to denim or wether major repairs should only be carried out with a machine?

I use that awl for sewing my leather goods. It's pretty easy to use, but using a regular needle and the lockstitch method may be a little hard. It's hard to explain, but the end of the thread (not attached to the spool) goes through one side of the fabric and stays there. With the needle/spool side, you make a series of loops that go through to the non-spool side. Then you thread the extra string through the loop, pull the loop out so that the string is still in the middle, and repeat the process.

It's a lot more confusing than it sounds. My awl came with instructions on how to use it, and I'd scan it if I had it with me. In short, if you're hand sewing, I'd just go with the normal method, and then just "retrace" the stitching by filling in the gaps between the stitches. I'm sorry if none of this makes sense, it'd be a lot easier if I had pictures. :(

i think it would be insane if you tried the 45rpm style invisible repair by hand, if not downright impossible. i'd say either a) use a machine (which uses lockstitches), or B) take it to a tailor. the only handstitched repairs i've seen that look decent are deliberately rustic, like knee patches etc.

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

used white thread on one side and blue tread after realizing i should have used blue in the first place. oh well, i love home repairs. i might try red contrast stitching next time depending on location of repair.

6tv07cy.jpg

Rear left pocket hole from wallet snap

6k7qf03.jpg

Side of that same pocket (left)

851p0kw.jpg

Bottom of right rear pocket

721e3i9.jpg

Crotch repair I was lazy on, will probably have to re-do later...

87aun2a.jpg

Various crotch repairs. None very good. I need to try to patch it up with my mom's sewing machine..

73nenht.jpg

Rear right pocket that I need to repair, not sure how I am going to do that (result of carrying my ULock in it.)

6yehq94.jpg

Another shot of it...

6sqq43n.jpg

Corner of that same right side pocket.

Before shinichi is inundated with requests perhaps he could comment on repair or providing thread?

i got in touch with shinichi recently about a repair kit for my skulls as well. i was sent everything needed for a small scale repair; a 3x3" swatch of thin denim and plenty of thread (#6 style for inseam and #20 style for everything else.) also here are pictures of my first repair from the evo thread... didn't notice this thread before... the denim patch used was from a pair of nudies. the denim provided by skull is on the thin side and seems more suitable for fixing up holes rather than reinforcing a particular area.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

How do you guys sew it all up? Put the needle through, flip jeans over, put it back in, flip it over, put it through, repeat x million ?

When I am not in possession of a sewing machine it's such a pain in the ass :(

I have only done a very small repair on my back pocket and it was fairly painful on the fingers to push the needle through thick denim. I'm impressed by how much youve actually repaired by hand.