Denim Repair

obsessis

@ColonelAngus Yep, always the first repair I have to do on Levi’s—left pocket, for me, also (presumably) because of keys

Posted a sort of how-to a few pages ago for this method—pretty straightforward & has yet to require any extra maintenance down the line

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sent my FC into soldier blue for crotch stich repair,  they did a cracking job.

Also on the subject of Soldier Blue and the SOAS team,  I first went there years ago (more than I care to remember! ) and left not feeling very happy with the service. But I have to say after getting to know Rudy and Linda better over the last couple years via purchases and general chit chat they are a great team/shop. Genuinely good people.

Example: Last October I bought some Paraboot from them. As I have far to many shoes, boots and sneakers they didn't get a lot of wear. Fast forward to Feb 22 and after about 3 wears I noticed the leather covering the seam on the top of the seam (the horseshoe bit) was a bit wonky and was not flush to the shoe. After shooting them an email, 6 months after buying them, they arranged FOC to get them shipped back to them for them to send to Paraboot so they could deal with the customs stuff, liaised directly with PB, shipped back to them and then back to me. Rudy dropped me a couple text messages to keep me updated etc. 

There's another couple of rather long (boring) anecdotes I could give but you get the point 

My experiences with Soas were one good, one bad.

Went to them with my Sc47's (with arcs) and Bartack jeans (old 90's jap repros) and got both pairs hemmed. Dan was the guy that did the job and he was awesome. Very professional execution. 

Second visit, Dan was away (wife expecting) so l entrusted Rudy with my 2 pairs to be hemmed, my  (now @Flash's) CSF WW2's and some FW47's l bought via @Duke Mantee 's mate, Seiichiro). We chatted for a while first - seemed like a really decent fella. When it came to hemming the results were well below what l expected: the folded over/half-selvege on the CSF pair were a botch job, and the FW's now have one leg slightly shorter than the other :angry2: (albeit not noticeable when wearing).

Hence my joy at discovering Soldier Blue and Clutch cafe as alternatives.

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a nice little interview with Matt Rho about boro repairs. It’s from a while back but still an interesting read. He sort of vanished from social media platforms after that, and I think his plans never happened which is a shame. I wonder why was that. 

http://someone-else.us/stories/matt-rho-boro-denim-repair/

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

• 4 months later...

Helloooo — it’s nearing time to have these joints repaired. I’ve only ever had hems and full crotch holes done through Self Edge PDX, while I prefer to have smaller repairs done by a local shop or handstitched by myself. 

I’ve been aware (and on the mailing list) of Indigo Proof for quite some time, though have never applied for her work. I’m curious if anyone with experience can recommend one over the other, as I’m expecting Rain’s books to open up soon and would consider applying. 

BB3F33EC-C153-44A3-B06F-92E74DAEE8FE.jpeg

C0CA62F1-45F0-4B6F-9B66-78DFEB95E583.jpeg

C9C68B83-7603-468C-BC16-186E6B8CAD60.jpeg

as you may notice, the crotch is getting quite thin, and the multi-layered center seam has started to come undone. 

Edited by rockon99
Added text

• 6 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:37 AM, Hopethisoneisnttaken said:

Here’s a nice little interview with Matt Rho about boro repairs. It’s from a while back but still an interesting read. He sort of vanished from social media platforms after that, and I think his plans never happened which is a shame. I wonder why was that. 

http://someone-else.us/stories/matt-rho-boro-denim-repair/

Old quote here …

This was a fascinating read. Anyone have any cool boro or other antique mending inspiration they could share? Blogs, photo series, etc? 

I’m lookin to do some major hand repairs to an old pair I have and I’m struggling to make a plan. The above article really makes me feel as though I’m overthinking it, so maybe I should just slow it down. 

On 9/8/2023 at 3:26 AM, rockon99 said:

Old quote here …

This was a fascinating read. Anyone have any cool boro or other antique mending inspiration they could share? Blogs, photo series, etc? 

I’m lookin to do some major hand repairs to an old pair I have and I’m struggling to make a plan. The above article really makes me feel as though I’m overthinking it, so maybe I should just slow it down. 

Here are a few from ig that I really enjoy: 

https://instagram.com/nora1985cat?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

https://instagram.com/vintagecustoman?igshid=MWZjMTM2ODFkZg==

I also created this board on Pinterest with mending inspiration stuff for myself, feel free to follow it  though I’m not sure it’s to everyone’s taste  

https://pin.it/1Ao64pP

Edited by Hopethisoneisnttaken

Well done

The area of concern. It’s nearly threadbare, and the tear in the knee goes all the way through. I don’t own a sewing machine but am thinking of hand darning the individual small holes, then putting a larger patch underneath and using a sashiko pattern to reinforce it. I’m having a hard time deciding what to do about the knee hole though. Maybe a patch on top would be worthwhile. 

IMG_9880.jpeg

Wow awesome faded and quite some repair work ahead.

I would add a real big patch underneath including the big knee tear area and darn it this way.

Adding some sashiko pattern would be great as well

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

So I have this broken thread on the inside (orange) but on the outside only the yellow thread is visible. 

Do I need to repair the orange thread and if so, how?!

20231008_125115.thumb.jpg.06785bb6120744ec396ffa0aff7521d7.jpg

20231008_125137.thumb.jpg.097596df7e3606c44e355ab36c6af3a3.jpg

U could stitch over it with yellow thread for safety (use poly for durability). Usually the spot wears through on both stitch lines sooner or later... 

The orange thread is the first sewing line, over which the inseam is folded over, so basically it is double sewn. The yellow thread sews down the folded inseam so it stays flat and in the same position.

Edited by Thanks_M8

• 2 weeks later...

As someone utterly lacking in practical skills, I really appreciate Indigo Proof, in my experience it's like getting a whole new pair of jeans - and what's nice, is that since it's your most-worn areas getting fixed, your repaired jeans should last way longer before needing more repairs than a brand-new pair would. Darned knees, for example, are way more sturdy than brand-new denim.

On my Flat Head denim shirt I blew out the elbows by around four months of wear, and got them darned by Rain. Now I have about 1.5 years of actual wear on that shirt, and no sign of new blowout on the elbows.

Given the cost of these sorts of repairs it's not really worth it for every single pair of jeans you own, but if it's a pair you really like and want to keep wearing for a long time, just do it.

This has kind of informed my current jeans-wearing philosophy, you could say: I'm wearing a single "raw" pair until it needs critical repairs (e.g., knee blowout), then wash, and start on the next one. If I want to keep wearing a busted-up pair, get it fixed and then continue. If not, then retire. I'm finding this helps remove the "decision paralysis" of which cool pair of pants to wear if you're limited to wearing one "dirty" pair at a time and critical damage dictates when a pair is "complete."

• 2 weeks later...

Recently patched over a knee blowout on the M41119 that I use mostly for climbing

Did it all by hand, which I had never actually tried out before for this sort of repair, & I’m really happy with how it’s turned out

Ti2nbbJ.jpg

EyOkcKN.jpg

rFo0fUG.jpg

That looks great Julian!! Any reason in particular why you oriented the denim in that direction? I’ve been thinking about orienting my next knee patch so the bias runs vertically, to see if it might give the fabric there a bit of a break from constant stretching. As a trade-off, the knees might bag out more, but I’m not sure. Anyway, beautiful work on the patch and those jeans too!

Those of you who work on jeans with a machine, what recommendations do you have for a good quality sewing machine? I've been using an old Brother machine I got for free that's done alright, but it struggles when I have to patch over a flat felled seam. Also plan on making my own jeans in the not too distant future and I'd like to set myself up for success. 

Should I look for vintage Singers? Should I try and score an industrial machine off facebook marketplace? Or are there reliable (i.e. lots of metal parts, and no computers) machines being made these days that I oughta consider? Not sure if $500 is a reasonable budget but that's what I'm at least starting with. 

Appreciate it!