Denim Repair

obsessis

On 2/23/2020 at 9:06 PM, Hermit said:

I had new pockets done on my warehouse 800’s by indigo proof. Rain does some very nice work!

145BD823-68F1-42C5-B24B-97F6387CAF11.jpeg

064BB6AD-58BB-4953-8C54-FAAE30443698.jpeg

5909129E-6CBF-4CCC-8555-CCCC140411E6.jpeg

Question for you or any repair experts: I always blow out the pocket bag, because I'm a "hands in pocket" kind of guy, fiddling with cellphone etc...I have a couple of pairs of denim with total pocket failure, both at the bottom and at the top, where they attach to the denim. Have been dithering on whether to send them off for what is probably a pretty costly repair, with uncertain results. How are the pockets replaced? is the waistband chainstitch opened up, as well as the front seams? (Assuming that's the case). And what is a resonable price to pay? I'd probably pay no more than 50 euros but maybe that's way too low?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Such a powerful raw denim evolution and good job done here

• 2 weeks later...

Stitching a chain stitch by hand for the outseam of this pair EU Lee 101 19 oz. 101Zs. I don’t have a sewing machine that can do a chain stitch, and I want it to match the factory stitching – not exactly, but at least somewhat. It’s my first time trying this. I don’t have it perfect, but the line is not drifting too much.

0FE69775-2547-4C8A-805A-9F7149CDD1FD.thumb.jpeg.7abc7f624128d7bbcede42ecc5e5d8c3.jpeg

@428CJ Really nicely done. I'm super interested in how you proceed for the hand chain stitch ? I've searched quite a bit but never found the way to properly do a chainstitch by hand. I've found the embroidery chainstitch but it doesn't match the originally chain stitch. I've trier both method shown on the bottom but I'm not a fan of the result. I've never tried with a double thread tho. is it what you are doing ?

Chain_stitch.jpgTwisted_chain_stitch.jpg

Shown on the bottom how a machine is doing the double locking chainstitch by a machine. Never tried it by hand tho.

G&bani.gif

I'm sewing my hem with back stitch and passing by the middle of the thread. 

Edited by Collin

I'm doing it almost like the first pic. I come through the loop on the way through, like pictured. But I don't go back through the loop a second time before re-entering the same hole. Instead, I pass through the loop once, then tighten (but not super tight) the loop by pulling the thread back along the stitch line that I already completed. Then I pass the needle back through the same hole, and leave enough slack to make a loop. Then I make a straight stitch on the other side, and the whole thing starts over.

I'm not sure what it's called or how I came up with it. Probably by doing something wrong at some point, and continuing to do it the wrong way. But it seems to work, and like it might actually be pretty sturdy.

I thought about doing it with two threads using the same stitch that a machine does. But it seemed like it would be too cumbersome to manage and maintain reasonably consistent tension to the stitches.

Edited by 428CJ

@Double 0 Soul I've look the whole thread but couldn't find it. But by watching all @jyoni repairs, I think he would have done it with back stitch like I've did on a pair. The result is correct but nowhere an original hem. 

@428CJ Thanks for your description! I think the end result are the same as my first picture if I'm not mistaken ? But you use double thread which make your sewing looks more like a machine would. Anyway it really looks good. If you have the time to take a couple pictures to show how you exactly are doing it would be great :) Hard to get it by text aha

Edited by Collin

7 hours ago, Collin said:

@Double 0 Soul I've look the whole thread but couldn't find it. But by watching all @jyoni repairs, I think he would have done it with back stitch like I've did on a pair. The result is correct but nowhere an original hem. 

@428CJ Thanks for your description! I think the end result are the same as my first picture if I'm not mistaken ? But you use double thread which make your sewing looks more like a machine would. Anyway it really looks good. If you have the time to take a couple pictures to show how you exactly are doing it would be great :) Hard to get it by text aha

Hello,

I am using a single needle. The results are different than normal, because the “chains” are tighter, and lean “backwards” along the line that has already been stitched.

Made an attempt at sashiko on my Fullcount 1101’s. Not that pretty and I probably should have used a bigger patch or positioned it different as the fabric is quite thin above the stitch but I have a bunch of other old torn jeans to improve my skills on. Makes social distancing by staying home a bit more fun!

A78B807C-1371-4357-B743-C3A5369D0652.jpeg.5523be7daae5af3ae1b2829fcbe76203.jpeg

6 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

Patched the left knee on the gbg dbs up. Fabric is from a pair of lee 101Zs.

IMG-20200417-WA0011.jpeg

Wow your Lee jeans must have been still brand new, or was it from a hemming part?

15 minutes ago, Thanks_M8 said:

^hem scraps I had laying around

Great to know so perfect use of a still new and strong denim fabric

• 1 month later...