Denim Repair

obsessis

hey denim heads,

anyone have a good tailor to recommend? I need to repair my denim but i have no idea where to go. I'm in New York.

We (Self Edge) do a full range of denim repair and we're in the Lower East Side in NYC, here's more info on our repair rates/services:

http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=information/repair

Anyone knows if Mr Handy Denim Repair in Groningen is still active?

His website is down and so is his IG account it seems.

He just came back to me the other day - he's finishing a project for me after much delay...

Yeah, the edges were done with a machine--the patch behind the hole is circular and I was using those machine stitches to hold the patch in place so I could embroider on top of it a bit. But the small-ish leg opening + heavy fabric made using my machine untenable, plus (as lance pointed out) the stitches looked really wonky, I think cause my chainstitch machine (an old willcox and gibbs) has an automatic tension that gets sort of freaked out when sewing through multiple layers of heavy fabric. but thanks! this was my first hand-repair in a while so it's nice to hear good things about it :)

• 2 months later...

My neighbor/friend is a professional seamstress who says that it's harder to do a denim repair than make a pair of curtains from scratch!

she altered my 3x1, but they still don't feel right, in the past she's done lots of repairs and even acid washed a pair (?), and tomorrow I'm taking round an unfinished pair of Japanese selvedge jeans from 2015(long story ), but I very much doubt she can do anything with the top block, although the legs are fine.

what a waste of good denim...sigh-I'll write if she can do it, but I think it's more work than it's worth, better to buy a new pair(s)

Hey,

the 24oz denim from PBJ is quite stubborn. And it seems the hardware was not really modified to account for the sturdiness difference.

The belt button popped out after a few month. I fixed it with another nail. Then it broke again. So I bought a "regular" button. It last one day.

At that moment I thought "screw this". So I did.

Using my wife's jewelry equipment:

• bought some screws and bolts.
  • made a hole in the button. That was the longest part as I had no real piercing tool.
  • polished the button, screw and bolt to get the proper length and make the surface smoother.
  • added some denim to cover the bolt and quickly sew it..

This should finally last!

33138473370_c66ecf3e59.jpg

33393466311_a911df1913_n.jpg33519541235_907a742598_n.jpg

32707441453_8470dc9e32_n.jpg

Cheers.

PS: Be careful if you plan to size down on these.

^ Nice repair, should last a lifetime!  I get my sewing supplies from Home Depot too :). Had to use a c clip on the top button of a pair of Aihiko jeans because 45RPM did a less than perfect job (read lousy) on replacing the stock buttons with sterling silver and I was afraid the top button would pull through the denim.

IMG_0202.thumb.JPG.7d7bc8ed9d0b00901dd7c120c5fb5550.JPG

On 12 March 2017 at 5:33 PM, Mojique said:

My neighbor/friend is a professional seamstress who says that it's harder to do a denim repair than make a pair of curtains from scratch!

she altered my 3x1, but they still don't feel right, in the past she's done lots of repairs and even acid washed a pair (?), and tomorrow I'm taking round an unfinished pair of Japanese selvedge jeans from 2015(long story ), but I very much doubt she can do anything with the top block, although the legs are fine.

what a waste of good denim...sigh-I'll write if she can do it, but I think it's more work than it's worth, better to buy a new pair(s)

She says she can, so my jeans appear to be salvaged, but until they're done I don't believe it, and I think jeans are better unrepaired anyway!

(Crotch blow outs exceptionally of course!)

On 3/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, itsbenhere said:

I just got my 3009 back from rain at darn it... so damn expensive! But seriously, I don't think there is a better repair service out there.

Ridiculously how long it takes to get the repairs done.  

Sashiko style repair on an old paint stained Sugar Cane kakishibu denim. This little patch took a while but I am pretty satisfied at my own work. Totally would repair my own garments in the future.

2017-03-24 00.31.21.jpg

• 4 months later...

great repairs going on in here

I wish I had that needle skill!

having posted about this fella's IG account [naritabby / brown tabby works - collaborates with bandana almanac on some things] in waywt re: smocks, I just wanted to share one of my favourite repairs by him... it is like a sculpture in itself!

and then a little ol' bandana almanac sashiko for extra stitch loveage

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had the seat and waist taken in before? I'd like to know if it can work or will ruin the jeans? I have a pair of Orslow that are great everywhere except a bit saggy in the top block. I'd only really take them in by 1 inch. 

I'd probably send them to Denim Dr as he mentions this type of work on his website:

https://www.thedenimdoctor.co.uk/gallery-of-previous-denim-alteration-repair-restoration-work/

I have pair of TCB '50s that the previous owner had the seat taken in on; it certainly didn't ruin the jean but the seat is very snug. I can't comfortably put my (admittedly thick) wallet in back pocket without it feeling like the jeans won't spontaneously combust. YMMV though.

• 4 weeks later...