Denim Repair

obsessis

Sorry for the absence everyone!  Wanted to share some repairs since we've been super busy both with work and personal time.  I do have to make some time to update personal garments as well.  Also, we have very exciting news on our end!

First up is a repair to a top button blowout on my TCB contest pair.  A piece of leather is embedded in the waistband for strength.  Original hardware was salvaged and re-used.  I notice Klue was using a similar technique with coins!  It's a convergence of ideas -- we certainly didn't crib it.

17393919881_68cb4f32fd_b.jpg

17186839057_6682142605_b.jpg

17186848207_cb395ba3c6_b.jpg

Next this is a final pic of that hidden rivet teaser posted earlier.  Incidentally this pair also shares the tubifer-like knee patch posted above.  Quite a pair of jeans at this point, I would say.

I've been stingy about posting this anywhere lol

17210622060_3c42ba3a27_b.jpg

A mini-darn added to the little hole off to the left of seam :)

17210435078_5dacb880ef_o.png

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by jimmyc, August 5, 2016 - Please contact Simon if you wish to advertise on the forum
Hidden by jimmyc, August 5, 2016 - Please contact Simon if you wish to advertise on the forum

Thanks, Maynard!  The Shipto Tsunagi pattern is a nice one.  I'm wrapping up some finishing touches this afternoon on another of our sashiko dabblings.  So excited for it to be done!

Speaking of excitement -- I can't hold it back anymore, so I'll post this.  We've been peeing our pants lately working with none other than Julian Dash!  We wanted to get his info out there because he is taking darns and his work is fabulous.  It doesn't have to come from us, you can contact him yourself and send your stuff in.  Through us we'd be able to do ridiculous collaboration like hand topstitching rather than machining, any of our insane patching you would want, etc.

The three of us put our heads together for a way to convey this.  I'll post it here.  I apologize if it sounds like a composition but that's exactly what it is.  He's in the Bay Area and we're in Minneapolis, so all we could do was compose a statement together.

Hello all.  Well, I’ve been busy with many things and I regret my neglect in bs'ing on the forum and updating personal garments.  However, our repairs have definitely gotten some quality time amidst the chaos.

I speak for both myself and Jordan, oe1, when I say we have reached perhaps the proudest moment we’ve known thus far in our denim endeavors.  We are currently collaborating on repairs with Julian Dash, a true leader and legend in denim repair and denim design!  So far we have been making the repairs you would expect by hand, and then sending them to Julian to address areas requiring masterful darning.  In my estimation, both aspects of repair are deeply learned disciplines.  The quality and artisanship — or lack thereof — is quite obvious and plain to see in a finished repair.

It has been my overwhelming local experience that the depth and complexity of a high quality repair is often overlooked and unappreciated by people who either don’t know what the hell they’re looking at, or who just don’t care.  So it has been very refreshing to have the work appreciated by a true master of the craft.

Julian wants your darns.  Our volume is very low.  The work we do is very time consuming and is relatively expensive simply because of the time and no-compromise quality.  We are happy to work together with him on a blend of patching and darning.  Anything through us will be pushed to a priority turnaround.  However, we want to put his info out there unselfishly, because he is definitely down for darning your jeans.  Clearly, the demand for darning in general is quite high.

Some words from the man himself:

Hey hello internet Julian Prince Dash here, 

Thank you very much for taking even a second to have the willingness to read this post and or be interested. I am Julian Prince Dash and I once posted on super future about 7/8 years ago, I got roasted cuz they were not jeans that look like they were for miners, lumberjacks, dock workers, sailors, Marlon Brandos and the wannabe for all the above. Some of the cats that roasted me later became a student or customer. FTW. For those that know or don't know I am one of the best jeans repair people around and one of the top denim players in the game whether u know it or not. Always debateable but still factual. I helped set up some jeans stores hems and repairs, fixed machines for companies around the globe and trained and influenced many, I know it's the Internet and name dropping is praised but I know what I've done and I'll let the research, time and my work speak for itself. Talk shit, want to talk shit, have an opinion, block me , Idgaf I will still be me doing what I been doing. Aside from the jade, shade and attitude my true thing is teaching the craft of jean making, denim and entrepreneurship. So if u wanna learn I am working on a curriculum and material so anyone can sew jeans from scratch and do it correctly. 

Ok now this...

We are all one culture and separated into two races the human and rat races. 

As far as the denim scene and super future I have no real clue about either, but what I do know is that I am teaming up with some really nice people who reached out to me (Raw Hands Denim Repair) and at that time I decided to throw my bad attitude 180 and say fuck it why not. Plus i actually like their work. I will be doing all of their darning and going to accept whoever else wants a repair by someone who knows what they are doing. Not no big deal just letting whoever is on these denim things know and pass the word. @julianprincedash on ig and my factory is Holy Stitch!

Holler for classes, repairs and jeans that are different...

Here's a photo sample of the fruits of our work together.

17685608028_86b63ac08e_b.jpg

17847073376_38e023e5a5_b.jpg

17873983051_dc5348d4b6_b.jpg

I am seriously blown away at how creative your repairs are jyoni. I don't know many people who do the type of repairs you two do, but yours have to be among the best.

At some point a pair of my jeans will make it over to you, have had two unfortunate vet bills that has eaten up all my play money.. When they do though, I will be requesting some sashiko work.

Edited by bradl

I am seriously blown away at how creative your repairs are jyoni. I don't know many people who do the type of repairs you two do, but yours have to be among the best.

At some point a pair of my jeans will make it over to you, have had two unfortunate vet bills that has eaten up all my play money.. When they do though, I will be requesting some sashiko work.

i agree.  its more than just fixing a hole.  Its like breathing life into a repair.  

Wow you guys, thank you!  Those are some seriously high compliments.  @bradl no worries, gotta take care of the pets and frankly real life costs are more important than laying down international shipping for a hobby!  I'll pm you, actually been meaning to.  @ggis, that's exactly what it feels like, breathing life into it.

Best part is doing it with my oldest and best friend.  Jordan's father was one of my first teachers as an apprentice carpenter, and years later I was one of Jordan's first teachers as an apprentice.  And we have always remained tight.  We still don't like to reveal who does what.  Don't want to get into it but we've been honeydicked and headf*cked too hard in that area.  We're staying together.  There's no better way to evolve and grow than to share ideas with someone I respect and have come to view as a true peer.

If i may remove myself from Self Edge for a moment....

That is not a well done repair. The thread matching is at a minimum four steps off, it hasn't been properly back-fused before being finished, and the single-needle work is extremely sloppy.

Edited by kiya

That is not a well done repair. The thread matching is at a minimum four steps off, it hasn't been properly back-fused before being finished, and the single-needle work is extremely sloppy.

on top of that dude's attitude being brutal

You're referring to the darn, right? Seems a bit to loud for the jeans. Funny though, I got some darn work down by sepdx and the darn thread used was grey and stands out quite a bit. Odd thing is that the hem was repaired with a very close matching thread.

You're referring to the darn, right? Seems a bit to loud for the jeans. Funny though, I got some darn work down by sepdx and the darn thread used was grey and stands out quite a bit. Odd thing is that the hem was repaired with a very close matching thread.

If it's a high-wear area and the jean is heavily faded it's better to use a gray/blue thread than a blue thread (if you're not using indigo-dyed thread, which only comes in a limited number of shades) because over time the gray/blue will be less visible than the blue.  If it's a low-wear area (like the hem-line) then a blue thread can be used to cover up the repair.

Thank you so much @gardengnomesinspace and @bradl! It's so cool to hear how much you guys respect the hard work John and I have put in to every repair we've done to date. We got into this because of how much we love this denim scene and that is still the reason we continue doing it. What makes it even better is I get to do it with my best friend John who I can't thank enough for getting me into this. Whenever you two are willing and able to send your stuff we would gladly jump on the opportunity to repair anything for guys that love this like we do!

Last thing, I want to say is it's sad to see what's going on in this forum right now. We come here for fun and because we love denim not to be attacked for our jeans or a repair on them that isn't good enough. I've actually seen that darn in person not thru some crappy phone pics and I can say the work that was done was fantastic. I don't want to continue into this ridiculous argument because it's so pointless and just opinions anyways.

Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful support. It's much appreciated.

Last thing, I want to say is it's sad to see what's going on in this forum right now. We come here for fun and because we love denim not to be attacked for our jeans or a repair on them that isn't good enough. I've actually seen that darn in person not thru some crappy phone pics and I can say the work that was done was fantastic. I don't want to continue into this ridiculous argument because it's so pointless and just opinions anyways

What's happening is not sad, it's Superfuture.  It's criticism directed towards what was presented, it's normal, especially on this message board.  If you want positivity all around then maybe reddit would be a better place.  

If you're posting something on a message board you should be ready to welcome any comments, negative or positive.  What i said above is after ten years of setting up denim repair shops across the country, and i even prefaced it with a comment stating that i wanted to state this from a personal level, not a statement from my stores.

Whoa I'm on my phone so I'll be quick. I'll check in later as well.

Buddy I know you're ornery but let's ease back a moment. It's a critique that was offered up and should be viewed as such. I know it's hard to hear when we're having such a blast doing things we love.

This kind of thing can spiral miserably and I'd hate to see it happen in a frickin repair thread full of cool shit people are doing.

If it's a high-wear area and the jean is heavily faded it's better to use a gray/blue thread than a blue thread (if you're not using indigo-dyed thread, which only comes in a limited number of shades) because over time the gray/blue will be less visible than the blue.  If it's a low-wear area (like the hem-line) then a blue thread can be used to cover up the repair.

Comprende, will be a bit before it gets to that stage but overall happy with the repairs.

Also excuse my noobness but how does your neg count for so much?

Comprende, will be a bit before it gets to that stage but overall happy with the repairs.

Also excuse my noobness but how does your neg count for so much?

It's weighted on your number of posts, amount of positive rep you have received, and i think even how long you've been on the forum.. i'm a geezer at this point with almost 13,000 posts over ten years.

DIY repair on my Rainbow Okis. Patch and stitch with a multi color thread I found in a local sewing shop.

002-5.jpg?t=1356541456

I did a sashiko stitch to reinforce the denim before adding the inside denim patch

008-4.jpg?t=1356543344

o my wish i kept my begin collab pair

Edited by chantheman

chantheman is doing a good thing by bringing this down to earth.  Lance, that is really nice work.  I love the multicolor thread and would like to find some of that.  Have you been playing around with more sashiko you haven't posted?

We wanted to give Julian a chance to respond and he just wants to let it go.

You guys, I really want to thank you for letting us get this wild hair out of our asses.  When a guy like Kiya looks at us and the phrase "If you want to be in this business" goes through his head, that's a really powerful and positive thing.  I really appreciate that, Kiya, we both do.

But you know what, we've done a lot of talking and we don't want this to be a business.  Too much bad energy.  We want to get back to basics and let it be what it is, a really neat project.

And the people we know here who are super into what we like to do, they are fucking awesome.

/this I hope it's at least clear that we have been through a lot.  Let's get back to what this thread is supposed to be.  We have another sashiko project to share but I want to do it in a separate post.

[email protected]

Hey hello internet Julian Prince Dash here, 

For those that know or don't know I am one of the best jeans repair people around and one of the top denim players in the game whether u know it or not. Always debateable but still factual. I helped set up some jeans stores hems and repairs, fixed machines for companies around the globe and trained and influenced many, 

my factory is Holy Stitch!

julian dash sounds a complete tool and im suspicious about whether his claims are legit (they should be easy for him to verify)

he claims to set up machines for shops and named his "factory" (i imagine this is really just a studio not a factory) "holy stitch!" (that sounds kind of like "darn it!");

did he set up hems and repairs at self edge?  if not, what jean shops' hems and repairs did he set up?  what were the companies "around the globe" that he repaired machines for? what's the training/influence?

Edited by ironheartfan123

julian dash sounds a complete tool and im suspicious about whether his claims are legit (they should be easy for him to verify)

he claims to set up machines for shops and named his "factory" (i imagine this is really just a studio not a factory) "holy stitch!" (that sounds kind of like "darn it!");

did he set up hems and repairs at self edge?  if not, what jean shops' hems and repairs did he set up?  what were the companies "around the globe" that he repaired machines for? what's the training/influence?

Long story short, Julian worked for Self Edge for years and our machines were housed at his house while he was doing the work for us.