Denim Repair

obsessis

What's the chances of a local tailor doing that Darner process? Want to get a pair of sugar canes repaired but I don't want it done sloppy or with patches. Guess I could ask them it, but dont want them to tell me yes and mess it up guessing how to do it. In Raleigh, NC if anyone can help. Thanks!

I can understand your sentiment...had a local upscale menswear store (in Seattle) darn my pair of Ande Whall Cougars, I was less than impressed. So much so, I'm considering seam ripping the entire thing and re-doing the thing myself. On the other hand, Selfedge's service is top notch, but you've gotta be in SF, NYC, or LA to use 'em. I hear great things regarding Denim Therapy, if they accept mail-in's then I'd say use them. 

On the other end of the spectrum, if you are mechanically inclined, detail oriented, and have access to a semi-decent sewing machine I'd suggest practicing on some scrap denim and attempt it yourself. I've had surprisingly great results darning 19 and 21 oz IH denim on a rather inexpensive Brother. I simply followed some

;) Edited by Al6ert

Thanks for the advice. 

Send jeans to Denim Therapy in NYC.

http://denimtherapy.com/

Also, HEY!!

Hey Chen. Okay, will do. I've actually used them before to reinforce a crotch, taper a pair of jeans, and chainstitch hem something. Was happy with their work. Read some negative stuff here which made me re-think sending them my Sugar Canes which I value a lot more than the APCs I've sent them. 

Hi all, I'm in the UK and would like to find somewhere that can do a really nice repair job on my LVC '37's and 44's. I'm after a repair that looks nice quality and in keeping with the period of the jeans. Also someone that can do pocket bags with sail cloth material.

I don't mind sending them out of the UK, if that's the best route to get the quality and vintage fix I want, but don't want to pay duty on my own stuff(!) Has anyone take this route?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by jimmyc, August 31, 2013 - Advertising/Spamming
Hidden by jimmyc, August 31, 2013 - Advertising/Spamming

Holy Stitch is ready to do repairs again. We have our darning machine up ready for your repairs. Chain Stitch machine coming soon so for now we are only offering regular single stitch hems.

Pricing goes as followed. all prices include return shipping (continental US only) back to you. (shipping to us will paid for on your own)

35 dollars USD flat for darning. 30 dollars USD for sf local drop offs

20 dollars USD flat for hems. 15 dollars USD for sf local drop offs

Located in san francisco, Expertly repaired by Julian Dash of Holy Stitch (former repairer for Self Edge SF for the last couple years)

No order page on our homepage as of yet, so pm me for any repair or hem inquires or questions.

• 1 month later...

Looking to get these repaired & reinforced:

Devils-Fit--03880_zps8c4ac121.jpg

I've heard people recommend schaeffers, denim doctor & denim therapy... any other options? I'm located in Canada but don't mind shipping them elsewhere as long as it's worth the effort. I really like the jeans and would like to keep them going for a while longer. 

^ nice one, how'd you manage that?

Hazard of living in Canada... Slipped on some ice this spring and this was the result. I'm guessing the crotch was starting to weaken in the first place and the fall was just enough to stress to cause the tear. Pretty gnarly though.

Looking to get these repaired & reinforced:

Devils-Fit--03880_zps8c4ac121.jpg

I've heard people recommend schaeffers, denim doctor & denim therapy... any other options? I'm located in Canada but don't mind shipping them elsewhere as long as it's worth the effort. I really like the jeans and would like to keep them going for a while longer. 

Check out http://lovemeblue.com/   Does all the same stuff as those other repair services but Is located in Canada. If you don't live locally you can still mail them in and shipping would probably less than sending them to the states. 

Hi. I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but is it possible to lower the front rise of a pair of jeans by an inch? I am choosing between the RJB 103BSP (8.5 inch front rise) and the SExFHxRJB15 (9.5 inch front rise). 

Edited by rosarkar

I'd do my best to find a sewing machine and just stitch up/down and left/right. It's small enough that closing that hole up and reinforcing it, shouldn't require a professional. 

I have a well-worn pair of jeans where the chainstitching came completely undone on one cuff and I thoughtlessly threw the jeans in the wash without considering that the cuff would begin to unravel (think when you cut off shorts and the more you wash, the longer the threads grow).  I don't think it would be worth it to take them to my local tailor to have the hem restitched at this point, so does anyone have DIY fixes?  Some sort of adhesive that would create some kind of seal so they become less likely to unravel with wear & eventual washes?   Maybe I can iron on some patches.  They've become my "play pants" and I'd like to keep them around for a little longer.  Thanks for any advice in this likely hopeless endeavor

Edited by HGS

Yeah it would be around $12 at this seamstress I go to.  I've been putting it off but I think that is the best thing to do.  Thanks for the push in the right direction.  Also, your blog looks cool.  My first thought when I saw the title was Last Rights.

Edited by HGS

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what type of thread I should use for invisible darning?  Polyester wrapped polyester core?  Cotton wrapped polyester core?  100% Cotton?  Can't seem to find anything thick enough to match the denim thread.  The best I can find is Coats Dual Duty Denim thread which is marled to more easily match different colors of denim.  Will it do the trick in terms of strength though?  Seems pretty thin...

http://www.amazon.com/Coats-Clark-Denim-Thread-Jeans/dp/B001GM1RBM

Edited by Froosh

The stitching around the top button hole on my Samurai 710x came off. Am I in danger of the button tearing through the hole?

It will for sure, just a question of weeks or months before it looks like this:

8699059865_4c08210a18_n.jpg

So just fix it with another piece of denim asap. It may be fixed this way. Even though it looks a bit messy, it doesn't move anymore on this pair:

10087965454_a919a18229_n.jpg