Denim Repair

obsessis

Okay, so I definitely won't be back in London any time soon. Sister or her fiancé don't have time because they have to deal with the riots.

Syb, are you still free at all, or the riots put things to a complete stand-still down there?

Dale told me that it'd be about £20 for the repair, but I'm expecting it could turn out to be a bit more and then there's also inconveniencing you, so if you're free let me know. If not, anyone down in London not affected by the riots? Not too fussed about time scales.

I understand that the riots will be a much more pressing concern, so I'm more than happy to wait until this all cools down as well, when things are a bit more safe.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow Andrew, you are a pro.

Makes me realize there's no way I can truly repair on my Singer at home.

Not true, you can definitely do repairs on your Singer. It might take longer and require more work over time, but there's definitely a sense of satisfaction in doing it yourself. That being said, if you ever tire of working on your own jeans, hit me up.

best place to repair a cinch back jean in NYC? thanks.....

If you come up to Hartford from NYC, I'll repair your cinch for free.

Nice video AJ. Do you guys use indigo dyed thread so that over time the repair will blend in, or would indigo thread be too dark to start out with?

Nice video AJ. Do you guys use indigo dyed thread so that over time the repair will blend in, or would indigo thread be too dark to start out with?

I color match according to how much the jean has faded. Brand new jeans get dark indigo threads.... but faded jeans get any number of lighter blue or grey threads according to what blends in the best. From my own jeans that I've darned, the thread color does wear off over time (especially if it's in a high friction area like the crotch) so it'll end up blending in better. Sometimes I have to tell customers this if they feel the darn looks too contrasty when it's newly done. Plus, some jeans are ripped so badly that it's impossible to conceal the repair - we do what we can to make it look decent.

Anyone know of a good denim alteration place I can send a pair off to? Is Denim Doctors still running?

Denim Doctors is still going strong. They have my Sugarcane 47's right now and I should get them back early next week. Jesus and Jason have been both professional and courteous throughout the process. I live in Ohio and simply boxed my jeans and sent them in. I called first to confirm address and ask exactly how everything goes. They called me back for payment and to confirm return address on the day that they received my jeans. Pics upon their return.

Here's a repair I did today on my Sugar Canes. The crotch was starting to blow out and I thought it would be fun to do a slightly decorative patch job. I used scraps from old jeans that I had lying around. The darker one is from some PBJ005's and the lighter one is from some LVC 66's.

I used my home machine which works great on a lot of jobs, but can't really handle more than 2-3 layers of denim. The results aren't perfect, but the patches feel really strong and connected to the jeans. One decorative thing I did was put in the yellow "side-seam" down the length of the long patch. I thought it would look better.

Patching is fun!

jeanrepair1.jpg

The inside: I used white thread in the bobbin and navy on the top, so you can see where I went over the whole thing

jeanrepair2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...