Patrik Ervell Men's F/W 11.12 New York

sipang

00160big_320x480.jpg

love this jacket

I've got the navy one that was already produced and it's really fantastic. Quality is good and Made in the USA - cotton lined in the body and silk in the sleeves so I've found it to be surprisingly warm, too.

This collection is excellent - feels extremely contemporary without being too 'futuristic' or fashion-y. I don't see any of this looking dated anytime soon which is not to say that it's going to start looking very average either. I think Tweeds reference to Raf circa '00 on SZ is a good one. I don't think it will become quite as iconographic (I don't think anyone will ever out-Raf in that aspect) but I could see it aging similarly (if not better for the lack of 'references' which I think is currently killing the perception of Raf's work now to a certain extent).

Servo is spot on...

The lack of visual iconography is something that really goes to the heart of Ervell in a way. What was for Raf the quickest way to communicate to a particular generation of consumers, is today also one of the reasons why he is receiving flak for his work. Ervell has little of that, for better/worse. Further, his signatures lie in his details - rounded flaps, soft edges, interplay between fabric textures - which are more durable and easier to manipulate across seasons. Think this season demonstrates that well.

edit: writing fashion commentary while i'm writing my fucking thesis leads to verbosity...apologies

edit2: Only thing that sucks is the flatness on the showroom pieces. All that texture was just runway lighting?

• 2 weeks later...

I am truly and deeply in love with this collection!

00100big_320x480.jpg

This is one of the photos that I believe is a head-turner. If I were to see someone wearing this sweater then I would really be sparing him a second glance. I do appreciate this specific type of clothing, after all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Stopped by OCNY today, FW11 first delivery is looking real nice. Standouts include the Norwegian Sweaters, Leather Daypacks w/ horsehair, Canvas Coated Bomber Jackets, Knit Baseball Jacket and those heavy denim shirts.

Also starting to stock on the site:

http://www.openingceremony.us/ocsearch.asp?keyword=ervell#1,all,1,1