Cotton Duck World Tour

Vampyrvargfesten

In today's episode: the Cotton Duck pizza method.

The duck and I have been stuck working for most of the last two days and so have little to post. He had again lapsed into melancholia and so we thought maybe a spot of pizza making would bring him out of it. He decided he would like to make pesto chicken with grilled red and yellow peppers and one pesto cheese pizza for the little kids. He is always thinking of others.

First he asked to use our bread machine to make fresh dough since he has trouble kneading with his little flippers. Once the dough had risen for 100 minutes he spread it out on two pizza pans. He was not thrilled about this but we had thrown our pizza stone away because it had become plain nasty over time.

2011-07-22-11.jpg

He let the dough proof for a further 30 minutes while he attended to making fresh pesto. He cleaned fresh organic basil, freshly grated two-year aged parmigiano reggiano, toasted pine nuts, squished garlic, measured organic olive oil and seasoned with sea salt.

2011-07-22-12.jpg

Unfortunately the grill ran out of gas at the most inopportune time and so we had to use the panini to grill our red and yellow peppers. Again, not optimal.

2011-07-22-13.jpg

He spread the pesto across the prepared pizza dough.

2011-07-22-14.jpg

And applied toppings as he saw fit, including roasted chicken we had saved from earlier in the week and a mixture of edam and mozzarella cheeses. Under no circumstances should you use an abomination called "American Cheese". It is not so much "cheese" as the absence of cheese. It should be banned as an affront to all that is decent and a crime against humanity. He seasoned the pizzas with freshly cracked rainbow pepper and sea salt..

2011-07-22-15.jpg

Pizzas were inserted into the hottest oven possible and baked until cheese is bubbly.

2011-07-22-17.jpg

2011-07-22-16.jpg

Let stand for 5 minutes then cut and enjoy.

2011-07-22-18.jpg

The End.

A Canadian Day for the Duck

As you well know, most Canadians start the day with a doughnut. Preferably two. Our favourite doughnut comes from a little place in Deep Cove called Honey Doughnuts. We arrived at 6am and the guy making the doughnuts (not the regular guy) did not have any ready so we went out to the nearby dock and waited for the sun to clear the mountains so we could take waywts.

pano-deep-cove.jpg

2011-07-25-01.jpg

By the time we finished taking some pictures we went back to collect our doughnuts. Because of the delay we didn't have time to take any closeups but I did sneak into the kitchen and take a picture while the guy selected our order.

2011-07-25-02.jpg

One would think that starting the day with a doughnut would be sufficient for the duck, but come lunch he was hungry and ready for more food. Canadian food. To that end he made me do something I had not done since the arrival of Sidney Lo on these shores - eat poutine. Apparently the best poutine to be had in Vancouver is a place on Davie Street called La Belle Patate.

2011-07-25-03.jpg

They have 30 different poutine. Apparently the plural of "poutine" is "poutine". Like deer, or beer.

2011-07-25-04.jpg

Here are various poutine which they offer.

2011-07-25-05.jpg

2011-07-25-06.jpg

The duck felt that if one were to have poutine, it should not be "original", or "traditional". He had come all this way and was not going to leave without experiencing EXTREME POUTINE.

2011-07-25-07.jpg

He dove right in.

2011-07-25-08.jpg

When he could not take anymore, he went and sat in the window, staring at the passing cars, a distant look in his eye.

2011-07-25-11.jpg

super duper late pass but i need this duck in my life if registration is still open

i am presently in boston, where i realize the duck has already been, but perhaps the duck would like to experience some of the seedy underbelly that franklincosgrove did not expose him to

The Duck Meets Mr. Chicken

Still buried in work so let the duck roam the office. The office dog is a psychotic schipperke called Jackson. Jackson's arch nemesis is a poor chew toy named Mr. Chicken. The duck peered into the Chicken's eyes and saw a world of suffering. They bonded instantly.

2011-07-27-02.jpg

Episode in Which the Ducks Gets Tacos

It is a well established fact that Canada is a worldwide destination for Mexican food. Just ask Jimmyc. Okay maybe "destination" would be strong, but we certainly have a bit around. Today the guys with whom I work had a hankerin for taco so off we went to La Taqueria Pinche Taco Shop.

2011-07-29-01.jpg

They serve tacos.

2011-07-29-03.jpg

2011-07-29-02.jpg

I had the Asada (grilled aaa flank beef with cucumber), Al Pastor (pork marinated in chili, achiote & pineapple), Carnitas (pork confit with pickled red onion) and Beef Fajita (grilled Canadian beef with onions & peppers).

2011-07-29-11.jpg

We went across the street to a park to eat. There were statues and we all know of the duck's penchant for statues.

2011-07-29-06.jpg

My friend climbed up the back of one of the statues in a failed attempt to place the duck on top. He barely was able to hold the duck there for a second before he fell off.

2011-07-29-07.jpg

We took the Skytrain back and it was fairly full so in order to do a waywt I had to stand in the accordion area between cars.

2011-07-29-09.jpg

BACK TO WORK.

Catching Up

Yesterday was a sunny day around these parts and that meant time at Ambleside Beach in West Vancouver. The duck had never been there so we brought him along. He saw Lion's Gate Bridge.

2011-07-31-04.jpg

And people swimming in the water.

2011-07-31-05.jpg

He enjoyed sunning himself on some drift wood.

2011-07-31-02.jpg

And pausing for his portrait.

2011-07-31-03.jpg

But mostly he spent time standing on the beach staring at the sea.

2011-07-31-01.jpg

Being a long weekend, the duck asked whether he was allowed to come along on one of our trail runs. My daughter has gone on record saying that runs are not photo ops, but since it was the duck she reluctantly agreed. We decided to do the popular Lynn Loop, along with about half of the rest of the North Shore. It was very busy.

We paused for a quick portrait before we set off.

2011-08-01-13.jpg

We ran through trees.

2011-08-01-01.jpg

And over bridges.

2011-08-01-10.jpg

All the while irritating my daughter by taking photos.

2011-08-01-08.jpg

After one last shot...

2011-08-01-03.jpg

She took the camera away from me, just at the time my mom happened to call so we walked for a bit and chatted.

2011-08-01-04.jpg

Once we finished the loop we went down by the river which flows under the bridge at the Lynn Headwaters.

2011-08-01-02.jpg

The duck was pretty tired from the run so he paused on a rock overlooking the river. He could very well have been on the cover of a copy of Outdoorsduck from the 1940s.

2011-08-01-12.jpg

THE END

Episode in which the true nature of the Duck is revealed.

I have spoken with those more powerful than myself and have been given special dispensation to reveal for the first time select pages from the Book of the Duck - pages which speak arcane truths to those who would seek them.

But before that, I thought that I should give a brief update regarding the items with which the Duck travels.

A note from the previous shepherd.

2011-08-09-01.jpg

The famous stole of Lady Jane.

2011-08-09-02.jpg

Supleme.

2011-08-09-03.jpg

Extra Raf buttons should one be lost.

2011-08-09-04.jpg

A bit of fabric from Undercover could come in handy.

2011-08-09-05.jpg

And 3D glasses should the need arise.

2011-08-09-06.jpg

A bit of blatant advertising doesn't hurt either.

2011-08-09-07.jpg

The Book of the Duck opens not with dire warning, but promises of blessing for the lost.

2011-08-09-08.jpg

The passages which I will show pertain to the near mythical and much debated "RandR Era" of the Duck. Though these days were never adequately documented in this thread, there were whispers of wondrous revelations during those heady Paris days. We begin with the arrival of the Duck and proceed to the ultimate revelation as to the true nature of the Duck. I include only excerpts here - the full text is for those disciples who bear the burden of the Duck for a time.

2011-08-09-09.jpg

2011-08-09-10.jpg

2011-08-09-11.jpg

2011-08-09-12.jpg

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Took the Duck to Historic Chinatown for a quick lunch today. We visited the Phnom Penh Restaurant where, oddly enough, Anthony Bourdain ate when here. They have a really nasty sign so it must be authentic.

2011-08-10-01.jpg

We ate hot and sour soup from authentic bowls.

2011-08-10-02.jpg

And had Beef Lok Lak - they forgot the egg so they brought them after.

2011-08-10-03.jpg

And Deep Fried Cambodian Crack Wings. So addictive that you can't stop eating them until it is far, far too late. Oh the regrets I have.

2011-08-10-04.jpg

I am going to be sending the Duck on soon. He grows restless and is becoming somewhat irritable.

I don't know how to tell you guys this but the Duck is gone. I don't know what has happened to him but I can't find him anywhere - not only that, all of his stuff is gone too. He has been acting a bit strange at times but I didn't think he would leave. Not sure what to do.

• 4 weeks later...