Acronym.

Westbrook

16 minutes ago, russo_cypriot said:

Now I'm even more confused... Are there any general sizing rules for acr jackets? It seems they are all over the place

i haven't worn any acr in almost a decade (!) and only ended up with one single shell, so i have no idea. if it makes you feel better, i currently have stuff ranging from XS (an engineered garments cagoule) to XXL (a bronson work shirt, which ironically fits smaller). sizing never gets easier...

edit: unfortunately many labels aren't consistent between years and collections etc. EG is a prime example, as their sizing has often been a complete rollercoaster. again, no clue about acr in 2021.

Edited by conqueror

It did make me feel slightly better, but with Engineered, Bronson, or pretty much any other brand the cost of sizing error is not high. Worst case you'll reorder. Acronym, however, is a different story. The chances of me getting anything worth buying on the release day are quite low. Chances of getting something that will actually fit me are close to 0)

i'm sure a ton of people in this thread and various other places can give you more current advice, but it will always be a gamble. the other thing to keep in mind is the cyclical nature and fairly uniform view of what's considered a desirable aesthetic in communities like these: when this thread started in '07 and i signed up in '08, the term 'techwear' didn't really exist and slim fits + sizing down on absolutely everything was king. it's the complete polar opposite now, although it will inevitably change again. acr back then were perhaps on the fringe somewhat of being influenced by this, but very few labels are completely immune and can still survive as legitimate 'outsiders'. bless and ccp are two salient examples off the top of my head.

Edited by conqueror

3 hours ago, russo_cypriot said:

Also, now interested if there is anyone here who is around 6'2 and rocks any acr shell in size S? 

I’m a couple inches under that and have an ectomorph body type, 130lbs (59kg)

I could most likely fit a J1A in small without any issues, but there would be no room to layer much even with my really small frame; so I still went medium

at least for me, if you are sizing and a small can fit but give no room I would still get an medium; mainly for GT jackets as you’re unlikely to wear it in temperatures that lack layering and should use Stotz or Wind-stopper in those temps (and you can size fitted for those, I would buy a small J36-S for example since I would use it as a transitional shell during fall with light mid layers) 

3 hours ago, russo_cypriot said:

Also, now interested if there is anyone here who is around 6'2 and rocks any acr shell in size S? 

Yo 187cm 65kg and M fits me best in most shells/jackets. I've tried on some acr in size S that "fits" but looks too small. Sometimes outerwear in M looks a little short on me and I will got for an L. I also wear p10 in S but thats another whole thing 

2 hours ago, russo_cypriot said:

but there is just no reason why people should gamble $2,000 on a size. This frustrates me to no end.

You used to be able to try pieces on IRL but not anymore. Try emailing their support and asking for help. I'm sure they'll help you with measuring up.

1 minute ago, Orientalq said:

You used to be able to try pieces on IRL but not anymore. Try emailing their support and asking for help. I'm sure they'll help you with measuring up.

Support had helped me a lot. Give them your basic measurements and they really help guide you. For example, I normally wear XL in jackets and pants but some they advised me to size down like the J33-E. 

4 minutes ago, BruceLeroy said:

but some they advised me to size down like the J33-E. 

How is the J33-E? I've eyeballed that jacket since it's one of two non GT/WS jackets on the mother site right now. I'm not so sure about the asymmetry and it looks saggy. How is the nylon material holding up vs any of your other pieces?

15 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

How is the J33-E? I've eyeballed that jacket since it's one of two non GT/WS jackets on the mother site right now. I'm not so sure about the asymmetry and it looks saggy. How is the nylon material holding up vs any of your other pieces?

Its still in my cart lol. I would have bought it if I didn't get the P34-DS from the last drop. A friend of mine has it and it convinced me to get it. it runs a size larger but seems to be the perfect jacket for spring/fall. The material looks great and seems to be holding up. He also had it with him on a 15 mile wooded hike at Grand Teton National park. No cuts or imperfections. My only complaint is the black is not a true black, but more of a blueish black. 

With respect to the asymmetry and sag you have to remember its a 3/4th length jacket - its shorter than my J1L, but longer than my J1B. I'm 6'3 and 205-225, depending on where my fitness/season is on the bike and his L fits me like a glove.

yeah same for me, I'm guessing the same thing happened with the 3A stuff that was still in stock because the disappeared along with the SS21 drop 

*wait nvm I'm just an idiot lol, I swear the 3A-1 was just on there the other day tho

Edited by tresend

Acronym sizing is certainly an area of confusion...even retailers can't figure out how to size/style.

IMO the fits on mothersite fuel this confusion and often look too tight...I mean just look at the backshot of LA6A-DS on E. 

Also E's J1 fits have become accepted as the norm, resulting in techwear nerds walking around looking like tightly-packed gore sausages. 

Mobility/function being huge selling points for Acronym, I remain perplexed by this Slimane era fittage 

Edit: J16 might be the only jacket E wears very well in M...heads up on incoming light-colored/paneled one, sure hit

Edited by blnightrider

3 minutes ago, blnightrider said:

Acronym sizing is certainly an area of confusion...even retailers can't figure out how to size/style.

IMO the fits on mothersite fuel this confusion and often look too tight...I mean just look at the backshot of LA6A-DS on E. 

Also E's J1 fits have become accepted as the norm, resulting in techwear nerds walking around looking like tightly-packed gore sausages. 

Mobility/function being huge selling points for Acronym, I remain perplexed by this Slimane era fittage 

Edit: J16 might be the only jacket E wears very well in M...heads up on incoming light-colored/paneled one, sure hit

Let's face it, E is 50 and probably not in the same shape he was 10 years ago. He might be in denial of this and thus continue to wear M for shoots making his fits look off.

3 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

Figure out your size for tops. Figure out your size for bottoms. Cop everything in those sizes. If it doesn't fit then accept the piece doesn't suit you and move on. EZ.

Sizing up and down on a piece by piece basis is a fool's game.

quitter's attitude makes everything seem easy doesn't it?

48 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

He might be in denial of this and thus continue to wear M for shoots making his fits look off.

I take this back, it looks like E wears Large on the Evolution jacket, which looks so much better on him than the J1L photoshoot where he's wearing a Medium. Maybe he's realized this?

I dunno why I’m even bothering at this point, but yes some people are between sizes especially in the pants. It’s really that simple. ACR jumps sizes in pants and /or some peoples just have different proportions that don’t align with the fit. Some people unfortunately refuse to admit it and just wear a size too big or too small. But hey if you wanna blow money on shit and look dumb, then thanks for supporting the the next couple seasons of ACR lol

I kinda feel this way with the P30A because height wise it’s perfect on me but it def looks a big baggier on me than the mothersite pics, although P30A photographs and looks odd from all angles so I could be wrong but still

maybe I just need to build some muscle on my legs lol

4 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

I dunno why I’m even bothering at this point, but yes some people are between sizes especially in the pants. It’s really that simple. ACR jumps sizes in pants and /or some peoples just have different proportions that don’t align with the fit. Some people unfortunately refuse to admit it and just wear a size too big or too small. But hey if you wanna blow money on shit and look dumb, then thanks for supporting the the next couple seasons of ACR lol

I think an underadressed point of acr is that it simply is.. finicky when it comes to fit. The difference in body composition that yields  'looks awesome' and 'looks off' is minute.

edit: i mean even Ian looks pretty bad in most fits on the mothersite. If you're not E or Lenny ymmv.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

36 minutes ago, Inkinsurgent said:

I think an underadressed point of acr is that it simply is.. finicky when it comes to fit. The difference in body composition that yields  'looks awesome' and 'looks off' is minute.

edit: i mean even Ian looks pretty bad in most fits on the mothersite. If you're not E or Lenny ymmv.

Yeah you summed it up much more elegantly than me lol

9 hours ago, Orientalq said:

quitter's attitude makes everything seem easy doesn't it?

Work smart, not hard. I've seen @brainerd666 take the time to explain why pieces fit the way they do, and why it works, for the person he's explaining it to to just ignore it an continue bricking the item.

Wear what you want, I suppose, but why spend so much on stuff that doesn't fit properly.