Westbrook

Acronym.

Surely though the ironic/paradoxical thing is that in the 'real world' acr wearers are by the nature of numbers alone and, individualistic, and while cavorting around their natural habitat do indeed feel that way, however, only when meeting up for group therapy session on the interwebs does the paradox kick in and that individual suddenly become the clone/drone hive dweller.

Does this not feed that "oh damn, so there are more out there" type of feeling?

So can you all not enjoy being together alone?

Either that or disconnect from social media that feeds the paranoia or rot or whatever it is folk are feeling and return to that pre-state of blissful individualcentricity (yes, I know non real word).

Don't forget when we first started buying Analog/burton etc (pre acronym the clothing company but design agency) there was little to no social media/hypebeast etc, and since then the early adopters that then welcomed ACR with open arms as a distillation of those and related projects have grown alot older and evolved, some beyond or moved sideways, this might also explain why alot are shedding their collections or this might also be because the share price is right to sell!! - If you get what I mean, you can't blame some to not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Right now I think the wave has been ridden and the glassy tube has folded in on itself, we've reached the impact zone and some will paddle out back again to await the next set while others will take the whitewater ashore.

Sometimes getting back to 'out there' is better than being seen 'in here'...

Some real rough psychology, but being individual-centric basically lies in your motivation. If you’re contributing to a group for personal gains, it’s still individual-centric. Eg: cleaning up a park because you don’t like seeing trash. Sure it benefits the community but it was an internally motivated. If you do it because kids are falling on broken glass, then it’s collective.

What you guys are talking about with changing dress/behavior in currying favor sounds like a high self monitor - you adapt to social cues and behave accordingly regardless of your internal beliefs (and then you could ascribe individual or communal-centric motivation to this). A low self monitor wouldn’t care and will wear acrnm regardless of the social setting (an individual-centric decision), but their actions in that setting can still be self/community-centric.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:26 PM, erictheninja said:

i think dr gitlin was referring to the people i was referencing in my post, not me, but he might be referring to me and I could be misunderstanding. 

@appleseed 

yeah at the core of it, for me it's really an individual-centric thing. my actions are purely based on how i myself feel about the actions that i take (this is just how i live life). ie.  what you said about no one knows the things you're wearing are supreme. yeah, no one in my life cares or knows about anything i wear, but i will know, if that makes sense. and that's pretty much all that matters to me? i know that's a little maniacal. the me wanting to disassociate from it was not out of shame that someone might categorize me amongst those i expressed disdain for or anything like that. it's simply that i know the action would not be one of cognitive conssonance. when my principles are extremely individual-centric, almost to a flaw, and i see the fanbase of this being predominantly society-centric / internet centric, it feels completely out of alignment for me. it's more like a hippie-energy thing. it's important for me personally to be in harmony with the ethos of something that is a part of my life. I stay fairly disconnected from social media / all the platforms aside from the infrequent use to sell or buy something but even then those interfactions left an undigestible taste in my mouth. this by no means means i'm not going to keep my favorite pieces. it's just that i've tapered away from it being THE thing for me in relation to fashion art consumption is all.

Yep, you got it right. 

1 hour ago, beepy said:

Some real rough psychology

How thin do we get to slice this tho - i.e., separating motivation from behavior? This is what I meant by objectivity; should be obvious that individuals' choices are pretty much always going to be individual-centric in this context, for reasons that @TEKsevenZERO and others have mentioned. In the real-world, this topic mostly operates in a vacuum.

@Appleseed I mean, the original question that sparked this was what's the motivation behind a certain behavior, so objectivity comes from identifying that. Why would sell off their acrnm collection? @TEKsevenZero carved out two big motivations for that behavior. 

Same goes for buying acrnm in the first place. For some people, something about the brand resonates with them, so they buy. Then there's the fuccbois chasing clout on IG - acrnm/techwear is hype and gets internet points, so they buy.

It is interesting that people feel there's a paradox in there being an acrnm community considering it's a product made by someone else - you're inherently connecting with Errolson et al in wearing acrnm. Like tek said, you're together alone... until you e-congregate. I'd say the same goes for any a niche interest, statistically there's not going to be too many of your "group" members in the wild. Like choose the biggest act from any music sub-genre - you're probably not going to see too many people wearing that band tee despite them having sold millions of albums. Until you go to a concert or maybe record store (not counting the Ramones or Black Flag or whatever else they sell at Urban Outfitters).

Posted (edited)

To try and look back and see our earlier interests as being somehow more "right" or "authentic" because of a lack of social media or popularity just seems like an asshole attitude. I think I just miss clout-chasing among what was simply a smaller group of people. I would certainly want to think you're a vain show-off if your instagram account showed just you and all your Porsches. However, if I had rather saw you posting about them on the Porsche forum, I would probably just think of you as an enthusiast lol. I guess I feel the same about the whole streetwear thing.

At the end of the day these pictures pictures people post only show so much. We should not jump to conclusions with limited information. That is dumbassery. That includes labelling people as being clout chasers or vain hypebeasts because simply because of their social media profiles. Pull yourself out of the negativity. When people saw the new J1E as having some kind of influencer marketing campaign, I think it was forgotten that Errolson works really hard at making things, and therefore has a heck of a lot of reason for sharing pictures from other people enjoying the spoils of his labour

nowadays I actually like the full acronym getup knowing it has a bit of an anti-cool factor to it, at least to some fashion nerds. :p

Edited by hooper

My orig. reaction was about approach (to the culture / 'hobby') and the use of the 'collective-centric' term, which frankly, just wasn't something possible 10~15 years ago. You had people here, 5thD....a few on that UK forum (blanking on the name?). A handful of otaku spread across the globe like a Gibson novel. It was a relief to find community, but nobody was getting into it because of the community. We can argue good/bad/right/authentic, but for better or worse there are obviously a lot more options for accessibility (and group-making, e-congregation, etc.) now, which allows for more of the diversity and differences since described.

Personal motivation to sell-off could be related (or not?), hence the question-

i feel like personal motivation to offing one's collection is that people have amassed more than they need, and have started to realize that. you could throw in other factors like "clout-chasers on m'internet" or saturation of the brand due to more retailers having the option to place purchase orders for this most recent drop, but i think people are def getting into the "less is more" mindset.

How many goretex jackets does anyone need when you can only walk to the shops and back?

3 hours ago, drgitlin said:

How many goretex jackets does anyone need when you can only walk to the shops and back?

one proper ACR should do it ;)

This thread has been wild this past week. 

Any idea if Drop 3 from Hanon got cancelled. Should be the most interesting I hope.

ill be honest with you guys i was kinda hoping a p10-ch would show up in there.

1 hour ago, Inkinsurgent said:

Me too

Posted (edited)

seriously ACR should bring back the S-J6TS at some point.

16.jpg

Edited by daniel

Does anyone have any tips for returning good to ACR in Czech Republic from the US?  I am trying to send back a size Large J58-WS and UPS quoted $295USD and Fedex $195USD.  Thanks for any info.  

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in the size Large J58 shoot me a message, I am not trying to make money, just cut my losses.  

8 hours ago, markdjr said:

Does anyone have any tips for returning good to ACR in Czech Republic from the US?  I am trying to send back a size Large J58-WS and UPS quoted $295USD and Fedex $195USD.  Thanks for any info.  

Alternatively, if anyone is interested in the size Large J58 shoot me a message, I am not trying to make money, just cut my losses.  

USPS. EMS should be under 100. Comes with tracking and signature confirmation.

12 hours ago, Inkinsurgent said:

Would be nice but that pant sold pretty fast even in 2015. What they are selling now at reasonable prices, in my opinion, is Stock they had and took from the page around 4 years ago. I was always looking for some of these pieces because I like the early stuff. Guess it is more useful and less futuristic - more wearable.

I loved the suspensor jackets and always hoped that something similar will return.

i was thinking of the grey melange version which at the time sat on the mothersite for a good bit alongside some of the P14's. sadly my budget looked a bit different at the time. 

i prefer the pre-2016 acr aesthetic in general. like you say, more wearable.

What was the jacket with the removable sleeves? That was the jump the shark moment for me.

18 hours ago, daniel said:

seriously ACR should bring back the S-J6TS at some point.

16.jpg

I had the black version and sold it, wish I hadn't. At the time, the 3A mods were hard to find so techsys webbing was wasted.

21 minutes ago, Cornuto said:

What was the jacket with the removable sleeves? That was the jump the shark moment for me.

The set 1/gt-j21 or j64-ts. J64 is god tier layering piece.

24 minutes ago, beepy said:

The set 1/gt-j21 or j64-ts. J64 is god tier layering piece.

dont forget the J29A

1 hour ago, Cornuto said:

I dont know about jumping the shark, I love my GT-J21, especially here in the PNW.

12 hours ago, markdjr said:

I dont know about jumping the shark, I love my GT-J21, especially here in the PNW.

yeah, would love one (live in the tropics)

Thinking of copping a pair of the P22-S in RAF green off the mothersite..Does anyone own these pants that can comment on the sizing? 

I'm around 5'10", and I wear a medium in the P23-S, and also a Medium in the P30A-DS (Though I feel like I could go with a small in these if I just wore them cropped)

Would it be better to go with the Small, or Medium in this case? 

Emailed the mothersite, and they recommended a small, though I figured I'd get a second opinion before pulling the trigger.

On 6/3/2020 at 7:14 PM, Cornuto said:

The first piece I have with removable sleeves is the PL-J1 I think. Mine still gets tons of wear as winter jacket and summer gillet. 

On 6/3/2020 at 10:23 AM, Yardsale said:

I had the black version and sold it, wish I hadn't. At the time, the 3A mods were hard to find so techsys webbing was wasted.

Is it to much to ask for a J4TS re-issue? Ultimate acronym purist/ninja piece, IMO. Have been waiting for years to see if some of the first-gen TS pieces would ever be updated and re-released, but it has yet to happen. Hopefully some day.