Westbrook

Acronym.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, Rough Sleeper said:

I don't think this is fair comparison. Errolson just got greedy after seeing resale prices. Now hype is slowly dying and items are starting to sit on shelves. He can sell J1A, J36, J28, P10 forever, but people really 100% like what brand is doing now? Shit's got too lazy and too expensive at the same time. There will be always hardcore fans who will support the brand no matter what, just like with Visvim and I don't think Errolson will starve any time soon, but on the other hand it was worth it? Maybe he should've stopped at some point and put more effort into the brand instead of lying to customers about European salaries, moving production to China, new features etc? Acronym magic is gone for me, and maybe i'm not the only one:

as said previously it's unfair to look at stock given the current global situation. Fashion is hurting everywhere. That said, given how fast the J1A-GTKP sold out under the same circumstances, your point is still compelling.

Two thoughts:

1. imho you are still underestimating the prestige factor that a previous poster mentioned. In men's fashion -- even streetwear -- legacy is incredibly important, and E has been doing high-fashion techwear for a long time now. He's a businessman and he's not stupid, i'm sure he knows he could make bank through diluting the brand with lower prices and higher supply, but that's not what its value is for him. Thanks to Acronym he's the techwear guy, look how well it's working: he's doing collabs with nike, video games, movies, traveling the world, hot cybergoth girlfriend. For this reason I doubt he's concerned overmuch with his margins, and I doubt he "got greedy". he probably just noticed shit was selling out instantly to resellers when someone tweeted him, and told them to jack up prices 30%.
  2. "lazy" i don't think works, Acronym has always been about radical experimentation alongside steady iteration. When you look back you can say "see how exciting it used to be?" but that's because you're looking at two decades of history, and you're likely only seeing the winners. In the last few years i've really liked J40L, J43A, J47TS, J46U, P30A, P23A. and he's still doing crazy shit like CP4-WS, J82, whatever that rider jacket was, etc. I don't agree at all that the core innovation DNA of the designs has deteriorated.

I agree that he should stop being so fucking disingenuous about the reasons behind the price increases -- I actually find that visvim gif really charming -- but if he wants to raise prices that's fine with me, i'd rather have shit sit in stock at a 50% markup than sell out instantly and be on grailed minutes later for a 100-200% markup. If you don't want to pay the prices i get it, and as said perhaps it's forcing people to confront the fact that their purchases can't be justified in a value-per-dollar way. (I believe needing justification at all is also quite male-fashion specific, FWIW.)

All that said, i've honestly only been following the brand since ~2013 so I'd love to hear what the longtime fans have to say.

28 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

You think that because Amazon is publically traded that we know jack shit about what their corporate strategies are?

I'm not sure what brainerd's specific point was, but to this specifically... i mean yeah, kinda. The discussion was about how much profit they're making and how much E is walking away with that, as well as how they are doing financially. If Acronym were public, at whatever size, we would have insight into those numbers.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, eidolarr said:

I'm not sure what brainerd's specific point was, but to this specifically... i mean yeah, kinda. The discussion was about how much profit they're making and how much E is walking away with that, as well as how they are doing financially. If Acronym were public, at whatever size, we would have insight into those numbers.

Amazon does not disclose anything more than what it has to for many different reasons (a lot of which is the same for ACR). Gross, net profit, and operating expenses are not the end-all-be-all, as Amazon's accounting department don't get paid just to add numbers. That's why it's as fair to criticize Amazon as it is to Acronym. They're not exactly putting everything out there, so it's fair game.

My point being with ACR is the take-home for Errolson. For someone who is always retweeting nostalgic-communist unionist material, it's really interesting to know if Errolson is actually price gouging to spite the second hand market (which is not such a popular tactic with that crowd).

But that contradiction aside, it's just speculation. At the end of the day we choose whether or not to buy the next iteration of the same jacket with a higher price tag. Speculation just helps in making that decision. 

If it helps, ask this question: "At what price is the J1A-GT considered an overpriced good?" 

$1000? $1500? $2000? 

Don't feel bad for buying ACR. If you can afford it, good for you. It's just that for some people the money is better served elsewhere. 

Edited by Orientalq

12 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

Amazon does not disclose anything more than what it has to for many different reasons (a lot of which is the same for ACR). Gross profit, net profit, operating expenses are not the end-all-be-all, as Amazon's accounting department don't get paid just to add numbers. That's why it's as fair to criticize Amazon as it is to Acronym. They're not exactly putting everything out there, so it's fair game.

good post, we are on the same page, except I think we would learn a lot more from disclosures than you do, particularly for so small a company. everything else i agree 100% though, even if he's not price gouging to maximize his personal take, the way he describes his motivations seems like a specious attempt to justify said price hikes to the crowd you described. I don't get why he can't just say, "look I care about the plight of the proletariat and seizing the means of production, BUT I'm really passionate about my super high end niche art fashion and I'm going to price it appropriately". who the fuck is out there expecting him to affect social change with techwear??

how about a CP4 Epic Raf version or J46 edit?!

^ACR annum 2049

^ would love to see a J46 edit.. with a quilted liner underneath that’s detachable. That’d be dopw 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, fasttimes said:

Imagine still talking about ACR pricing in 2020. As a long time fan, price is irrelevant simply because there is no alternative to ACR. So many people claim there are but none offer examples. If there was a cheaper alternative everyone would buy that. Nothing that looks like this performs like this at a lower price point and that's why you're all so mad.

I don't remember that I had any regrets paying 1400EUR for reissue of J28GT while owning first iteration at the same time. It's combination of attitude, design and pricing. Imagine paying two grand to show up at your office looking like that

1168337993_Screenshot2020-05-14at10_06_35.thumb.png.3954fd35833cc4b59ecbba99fe2cb4fc.png

Anyway we will see what the future holds, it's all just speculation, if you got the money and like the design there's literally nothing wrong with that. I just don't feel that spending 3000 on Aitor Throup jacket is somehow "not worth it", but paying two grand for J27GT reissue? Nah, you can keep that.

14 hours ago, eidolarr said:

Thanks to Acronym he's the techwear guy, look how well it's working: he's doing collabs with nike, video games, movies, traveling the world, hot cybergoth girlfriend.

Yeah, but he forgot that he also could spend some time actually designing clothing. I'm not going to start how Shadow Project fell off, it's worse than ACG now, first seasons were so good because Errolson actually cared about clothing. Nice post otherwise, cheers.

digiririn, why you gave me a downvote? My answer isn't sufficient for you? Or you feel offended by my remark because at 50 you're still posting your mad fits on instagram for those sweet internet points like kids nowadays do? #acrnm #acrhive lmao

Edited by Rough Sleeper

Posted (edited)

Lol whats his IG

Edit: fyi I genuinely wanted to check his IG for fits. Thats all 

Edited by JoseRizal

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, SuE said:

Enough with the personal attacks. Age-shaming, really? You know how old Errolson is? Gibson is an octogenarian and has more drip than y’all. Stop showing your asses. 

I have no idea how old he is, I just posted that to make fun since he seems bit too cocky here and he doesn't look 50 lmao. That #acrhive shit is lame even if you're 25. Don't be that sensitive with all this "age-shaming" thing, you probably hate fit and thin people too. Mature people are cool, as long they act that way.

Edited by Rough Sleeper

10 minutes ago, Rough Sleeper said:

I have no idea how old he is

If you’re ignorant then stop projecting

11 minutes ago, Rough Sleeper said:

you probably hate fit and thin people too

just stop

2 hours ago, SuE said:

Gibson is an octogenarian and has more drip than y’all.

Yeah because he can afford it.. in fact most boomers and old people can. When pricing causes your brand to appeal to older people exclusively that's how you kill a brand. Asian boba-sipping silicon valley guys eat it up tho, props to them. 2k out of their kid's college fund lmao.

1 hour ago, Orientalq said:

When pricing causes your brand to appeal to older people exclusively that's how you kill a brand.

Some of ya'll need to get smacked.

Acronym for instagram? Nah, I wear acronym because Robin Williams.

robin-williams-best-outfits-acronym-jack

9 hours ago, Rough Sleeper said:

I don't remember that I had any regrets paying 1400EUR for reissue of J28GT while owning first iteration at the same time. It's combination of attitude, design and pricing. Imagine paying two grand to show up at your office looking like that

imagine showing up at an office lol

26 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

ID on the pants he's rocking in this pic?  Looks like epic 

28 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

No need to explain yourself, you do, what you gonna do. Your cat tower is amazing though.

8 minutes ago, hooper said:

imagine showing up at an office lol

Bruh my father is foxconn executive, why tf I should care?

Anyway, i'm gonna leave for now, have fun

wefweg.gif.cd5f023f8b714467fb7c3feb14d1ab30.gif

2 hours ago, Orientalq said:

42 minutes ago, Rough Sleeper said:

now I'm just speculating..

you two were huge fans of the label until the prices went up and couldn't or "didn't want" to afford the jawnz anymore.  You feel the need to express your hatred of the brand that left you hanging in a forum full of "die hards".  Fuck outta here with that lame shit lol. quit crying and get your paper up.  let go of that hate brehs, trust me.. you'll be happier.

3 hours ago, drgitlin said:

robin-williams-best-outfits-acronym-jack

Far ahead of times with his Salomon shoes. The pants should be P5 if these are acronym 

If you're getting bent out of shape over a 2k jacket then wait til you get deep into literally any other hobby lmao

Brb gonna go complain about boomers on a Porsche forum for driving up the price of 993s

6 hours ago, Rough Sleeper said:

No need to explain yourself, you do, what you gonna do. Your cat tower is amazing though.

Bruh my father is foxconn executive, why tf I should care?

Anyway, i'm gonna leave for now, have fun

wefweg.gif.cd5f023f8b714467fb7c3feb14d1ab30.gif

Oh really? What's his name? My father may know him. 

12 hours ago, Flipflop214 said:

now I'm just speculating..

you two were huge fans of the label until the prices went up and couldn't or "didn't want" to afford the jawnz anymore.  You feel the need to express your hatred of the brand that left you hanging in a forum full of "die hards".  Fuck outta here with that lame shit lol. quit crying and get your paper up.  let go of that hate brehs, trust me.. you'll be happier.

Yeah sorry I choose to spend my money by thinking... it's strange you use the word hate... I never said I hate acronym. Is negativity or criticism considered hate or are you just using another colloquial version of the term? If you told your mother to stop doing drugs do you hate her? Or love her? 

9 hours ago, fasttimes said:

If you're getting bent out of shape over a 2k jacket then wait til you get deep into literally any other hobby lmao

Brb gonna go complain about boomers on a Porsche forum for driving up the price of 993s

If a jacket can be bought for 20$ retail then a $2000 jacket is the equivalent of a $2,000,000 car. Not so much a Porsche 993. I'm a photographer and spend a fair amount in that hobby, but I'm happy to drop $3000 on a Sony A7RIII because I know I'm paying for a competitive and cost-functional price. I know that Sony probably isn't making more than $500 on the price I paid because their competitors would simply undercut them. Can't say the same for a J1A-GT. 

Don't get me wrong. I own ACR myself. Love his designs. I just refuse to blindly accept the prices for what they are and will continue to be. 

A couple of years ago someone paid $1.8 million for a 993 GT2. 

7 hours ago, Orientalq said:

Lol You’re dumb, No one is trying to compete with ACR because there’s really no equivalent IMO.  For you to insinuate that people in this forum are “blindly” spending their money is ignorant AF. You’re prolle one of those people who walks around thinking you’re better than everyone because of your “smart and thoughtful decisions” lol.  I shouldn’t have used hate, I should’ve used bitchassness 

ps. Don’t judge my mom for doing drugs. She likes to party. 

30 minutes ago, Flipflop214 said:

Lol You’re dumb, No one is trying to compete with ACR because there’s really no equivalent IMO.  For you to insinuate that people in this forum are “blindly” spending their money is ignorant AF. You’re prolle one of those people who walks around thinking you’re better than everyone because of your “smart and thoughtful decisions” lol.  I shouldn’t have used hate, I should’ve used bitchassness 

ps. Don’t judge my mom for doing drugs. She likes to party. 

For one, I'm not saying YOU have to stop buying Acronym. I am simply pointing out reasons why others (and believe me I am not alone here) would choose not to buy the products because of the blatant price gouging and profiteering. Yes, to you there is no equivalent to Acronym. But to others, there are a LOT of people who cross shop between ACR and Outlier, enfin leve, SISP, Riot Division, and many other ACR derivatives (including replicas). It's not a zero sum game and our opinions are not mutually exclusive. I don't mind the negative reps, but it's not like I'm wildly wrong. It's probable that the people who don't have as much brand loyalty to ACR wouldn't browse this forum. I'm a design enthusiast and a customer, but maybe the prices are reason for me to reconsider the latter.

"Not buying Acronym is more Acronym than Acronym." 

Stop with the character attacks. Calling me "dumb" does what exactly? I get it. You just got rep points for roasting a cocky lambo Designer. Cool. But that's because he brought up why his opinion should be valued over others. Did I do that? I have not insulted or insinuated anything about you, yet you continue to insult me. Please extend that courtesy back for the sake of argument.