Acronym.

Westbrook

8 hours ago, thatslapz said:

I didn't realize so many people had access to Acronym's books. I must be doing something wrong.  

Is this the equivalent of "Amazon is a perfectly great company. You aren't Jeff Bezos (aka you don't know how it really works), so shut up" or what? Is speculation so terrible nowadays that we shouldn't question the pricing practices (that we ultimately pay)?

50 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

Is this the equivalent of "Amazon is a perfectly great company. You aren't Jeff Bezos (aka you don't know how it really works), so shut up" or what? Is speculation so terrible nowadays that we shouldn't question the pricing practices (that we ultimately pay)?

What a shit take lol

comparing one of the richest people(Putin would like to have a word), to a small company that makes luxury clothing for a VERY FUCKING NARROW market is complete smooth brain bullshit

1 hour ago, Orientalq said:

No it's not. Amazon is a publicly traded company. I can literally look at their audited financial statements and reporting. Like, hundreds of pages, on their own site.

6 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

Oh also- this fucking herb needs to go the fuck off route

That last one is pretty damn ironic. You compose that shit in the mirror or what @mariahscarry

Bruh how you gonna do him like that when you’re one of the ONLY people whose opinion he respects on this site lmao. The rest of us are too dumb and on errolson’s nuts to be respected by the big shot lambo designer lol. Imagine wishing death upon a stranger’s dad over a witty one liner on the internet...

At least this was all good for a chuckle

Just now, BRICK DOM said:

Bruh how you gonna do him like that when you’re one of the ONLY people whose opinion he respects on this site lmao. The rest of us are too dumb and on errolson’s nuts to be respected by the big shot lambo designer lol. Imagine wishing death upon a stranger’s dad over a witty one liner on the internet...

At least this was all good for a chuckle

No gods no masters

Dude dug his own grave by revealing his inner lack of swagger. 

Quality roast material tho, so there’s that at least:laugh2:

Props to @Flipflop214 for the killing strike. That shit was fucking comedy gold

14 hours ago, dixonschneider said:

Yet there are lots and lots of posts on the internet asking for your "affordable" acrnm alternatives but simply none of them gets it quite on a level like the original. In the end you get something with a very unique design DNA and that is what enables such high price points for them and probably why most people buy it in the first place, with the "functionality" as added benefit.

Also the J1A is not a good example if you want to talk about "innovation" (meaning, completely new products) because it is reworked in iterations for 20 years now. Why not look at the current lineup instead? J82 and J84, very unique and new models, maybe with less "function" in terms of pockets etc. but still a very fresh design you won't find anywhere else. Speaking of functionality, the pockets on the (also new) P35-DS are really something else - you have like 11 of them and most are also really spacious, all of this without looking like a cargo pant at all.

And yes, J1L/J47 and P10 are all nothing new but then again, you can't re-invent the wheel on all models every season. Some people are also glad about re-iterations because they missed previous seasons and don't want to pay premium re-sell on used items.

The p35-DS are the pants I have been wearing more than any other as of late. They just work. The pockets are phenomenal and for me the perfect pair 

7 hours ago, Rough Sleeper said:

So what do you want to say? As a brand admirer I can't have opinion on the brand or Errolson and post it here? I understand that this is not the best place to have that kind of discussion because most people here are hardcore acronym fans and will buy canned tuna for 250EUR if it will have ACRONYM logo on it. But lets be real, my first acr purchase was J27GT and I paid 655 pounds, now it's 1736EUR, what changed since? Production in China costs more? It is made from next-level-nasa-approved fabric? The pattern is now 100 times more complex? Hyperinflation? Nothing changed apart Errolson's appetite and hype surrounding the brand (they even stopped producing dope seasonal videos). And to make things worse, they don't come up with anything good nowadays, take SS20 for example: J82-WS, J1L-GT J84-S, P35-DS all are laughable, nobody would eat up this shit if it wasn't Acronym. Yeah, P10-DS are amazing, but they were designed by Schneider, not Errolson. C1-AM? That shit was released 13 years ago. 

Whatever guys, I see you have more fun bragging about reviewing expensive cars, digging someones old tweets, talking about quality roast material (lmao) and downvoting me for having different opinions. Nothing to discuss here.

I was saying if you’re discussing the financial transparency of a company, it doesn’t make sense to compare a publicly traded company that publishes financials with a privately held company that does not publish financials.

To your second question, you can have whatever opinion you want. There are others here that share your views even if I do not. 

Edited by thatslapz

1 hour ago, thatslapz said:

I was saying if you’re discussing the financial transparency of a company, it doesn’t make sense to compare a publicly traded company that publishes financials with a privately held company that does not publish financials.

To your second question, you can have whatever opinion you want. There are others here that share your views even if I do not. 

I never questioned financial transparency of a company in the first place, I simply stated that I don't like his pricing strategy and that Errolson contradicts himself with his statements regarding price increase. I don't have a degree in finance, I just wanted to speculate on the future of the brand and vent my frustration.

I just checked 13 online shops that carry ACR from acrnm to coevo and (pretty much) everyone still has all sizes of J1L-GT which is ridiculous if you think that most shops buy pretty small amount of items. It may be COVID or may be what I said in previous post, we will see in the future, but I don't think that Errolson will back out of his decision.

54 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

And you know this how? 

I just saw her portfolio, out of ±15 items that were released that season she only posted 3 or 4, so I believe she doesn't take credit on everything she laid her hand and I asked the Man itself sometime ago, he vaguely dodged the question with "collaborative effort" bs. And it's just simply more of her style while Errolson was into different pant patterns at that time. 

Signed, a man who is following ACRONYM without posting his stupid fits on instagram.

Edited by Rough Sleeper

15 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

What a shit take lol

comparing one of the richest people(Putin would like to have a word), to a small company that makes luxury clothing for a VERY FUCKING NARROW market is complete smooth brain bullshit

LOL you missed the point of the post. I'm arguing that just because you don't work at a company doesn't mean you can't criticize its pricing practices. What does that have to do with the net worth of Errolson and Bezos? You think that because Amazon is publically traded that we know jack shit about what their corporate strategies are?

"Well guys we don't know how ACR works so let's just keep buying overpriced Jackets cuz it's cool, nothing to see here~" serves no one any good. No one is claiming to know for certain how much cash Errolson is pocketing from each jacket sold. Speculation is how you make a decision as to whether the consumer is being fleeced. Sorry we don't have parents who have bottomless wallets. 

Calm down with your character attacks. Being a pro "roaster" for "swag" points doesn't mean anything for an argument. If anything it says more about your own insecurities, "brainerd666".

On 5/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, Rough Sleeper said:

I don't think this is fair comparison. Errolson just got greedy after seeing resale prices. Now hype is slowly dying and items are starting to sit on shelves. He can sell J1A, J36, J28, P10 forever, but people really 100% like what brand is doing now? Shit's got too lazy and too expensive at the same time. There will be always hardcore fans who will support the brand no matter what, just like with Visvim and I don't think Errolson will starve any time soon, but on the other hand it was worth it? Maybe he should've stopped at some point and put more effort into the brand instead of lying to customers about European salaries, moving production to China, new features etc? Acronym magic is gone for me, and maybe i'm not the only one:

as said previously it's unfair to look at stock given the current global situation. Fashion is hurting everywhere. That said, given how fast the J1A-GTKP sold out under the same circumstances, your point is still compelling.

Two thoughts:

1. imho you are still underestimating the prestige factor that a previous poster mentioned. In men's fashion -- even streetwear -- legacy is incredibly important, and E has been doing high-fashion techwear for a long time now. He's a businessman and he's not stupid, i'm sure he knows he could make bank through diluting the brand with lower prices and higher supply, but that's not what its value is for him. Thanks to Acronym he's the techwear guy, look how well it's working: he's doing collabs with nike, video games, movies, traveling the world, hot cybergoth girlfriend. For this reason I doubt he's concerned overmuch with his margins, and I doubt he "got greedy". he probably just noticed shit was selling out instantly to resellers when someone tweeted him, and told them to jack up prices 30%.
  2. "lazy" i don't think works, Acronym has always been about radical experimentation alongside steady iteration. When you look back you can say "see how exciting it used to be?" but that's because you're looking at two decades of history, and you're likely only seeing the winners. In the last few years i've really liked J40L, J43A, J47TS, J46U, P30A, P23A. and he's still doing crazy shit like CP4-WS, J82, whatever that rider jacket was, etc. I don't agree at all that the core innovation DNA of the designs has deteriorated.

I agree that he should stop being so fucking disingenuous about the reasons behind the price increases -- I actually find that visvim gif really charming -- but if he wants to raise prices that's fine with me, i'd rather have shit sit in stock at a 50% markup than sell out instantly and be on grailed minutes later for a 100-200% markup. If you don't want to pay the prices i get it, and as said perhaps it's forcing people to confront the fact that their purchases can't be justified in a value-per-dollar way. (I believe needing justification at all is also quite male-fashion specific, FWIW.)

All that said, i've honestly only been following the brand since ~2013 so I'd love to hear what the longtime fans have to say.

28 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

You think that because Amazon is publically traded that we know jack shit about what their corporate strategies are?

I'm not sure what brainerd's specific point was, but to this specifically... i mean yeah, kinda. The discussion was about how much profit they're making and how much E is walking away with that, as well as how they are doing financially. If Acronym were public, at whatever size, we would have insight into those numbers.

46 minutes ago, eidolarr said:

I'm not sure what brainerd's specific point was, but to this specifically... i mean yeah, kinda. The discussion was about how much profit they're making and how much E is walking away with that, as well as how they are doing financially. If Acronym were public, at whatever size, we would have insight into those numbers.

Amazon does not disclose anything more than what it has to for many different reasons (a lot of which is the same for ACR). Gross, net profit, and operating expenses are not the end-all-be-all, as Amazon's accounting department don't get paid just to add numbers. That's why it's as fair to criticize Amazon as it is to Acronym. They're not exactly putting everything out there, so it's fair game.

My point being with ACR is the take-home for Errolson. For someone who is always retweeting nostalgic-communist unionist material, it's really interesting to know if Errolson is actually price gouging to spite the second hand market (which is not such a popular tactic with that crowd).

But that contradiction aside, it's just speculation. At the end of the day we choose whether or not to buy the next iteration of the same jacket with a higher price tag. Speculation just helps in making that decision. 

If it helps, ask this question: "At what price is the J1A-GT considered an overpriced good?" 

$1000? $1500? $2000? 

Don't feel bad for buying ACR. If you can afford it, good for you. It's just that for some people the money is better served elsewhere. 

Edited by Orientalq

12 minutes ago, Orientalq said:

Amazon does not disclose anything more than what it has to for many different reasons (a lot of which is the same for ACR). Gross profit, net profit, operating expenses are not the end-all-be-all, as Amazon's accounting department don't get paid just to add numbers. That's why it's as fair to criticize Amazon as it is to Acronym. They're not exactly putting everything out there, so it's fair game.

good post, we are on the same page, except I think we would learn a lot more from disclosures than you do, particularly for so small a company. everything else i agree 100% though, even if he's not price gouging to maximize his personal take, the way he describes his motivations seems like a specious attempt to justify said price hikes to the crowd you described. I don't get why he can't just say, "look I care about the plight of the proletariat and seizing the means of production, BUT I'm really passionate about my super high end niche art fashion and I'm going to price it appropriately". who the fuck is out there expecting him to affect social change with techwear??

10 hours ago, fasttimes said:

Imagine still talking about ACR pricing in 2020. As a long time fan, price is irrelevant simply because there is no alternative to ACR. So many people claim there are but none offer examples. If there was a cheaper alternative everyone would buy that. Nothing that looks like this performs like this at a lower price point and that's why you're all so mad.

I don't remember that I had any regrets paying 1400EUR for reissue of J28GT while owning first iteration at the same time. It's combination of attitude, design and pricing. Imagine paying two grand to show up at your office looking like that

1168337993_Screenshot2020-05-14at10_06_35.thumb.png.3954fd35833cc4b59ecbba99fe2cb4fc.png

Anyway we will see what the future holds, it's all just speculation, if you got the money and like the design there's literally nothing wrong with that. I just don't feel that spending 3000 on Aitor Throup jacket is somehow "not worth it", but paying two grand for J27GT reissue? Nah, you can keep that.

14 hours ago, eidolarr said:

Thanks to Acronym he's the techwear guy, look how well it's working: he's doing collabs with nike, video games, movies, traveling the world, hot cybergoth girlfriend.

Yeah, but he forgot that he also could spend some time actually designing clothing. I'm not going to start how Shadow Project fell off, it's worse than ACG now, first seasons were so good because Errolson actually cared about clothing. Nice post otherwise, cheers.

digiririn, why you gave me a downvote? My answer isn't sufficient for you? Or you feel offended by my remark because at 50 you're still posting your mad fits on instagram for those sweet internet points like kids nowadays do? #acrnm #acrhive lmao

Edited by Rough Sleeper

24 minutes ago, SuE said:

Enough with the personal attacks. Age-shaming, really? You know how old Errolson is? Gibson is an octogenarian and has more drip than y’all. Stop showing your asses. 

I have no idea how old he is, I just posted that to make fun since he seems bit too cocky here and he doesn't look 50 lmao. That #acrhive shit is lame even if you're 25. Don't be that sensitive with all this "age-shaming" thing, you probably hate fit and thin people too. Mature people are cool, as long they act that way.

Edited by Rough Sleeper