Acronym.

Westbrook

I am interested in the ds-j5. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it basically a softshell in blazer form? Looking for a lightweight blazer style jacket that's lightweight and easily packable. It sounds like it would fit the bill. Better than the j-29, or vice versa?

I'd say more like the latter; it's not massively warm, and being a blazer cut it's a little difficult to wear it as a layer underneath a gore ACR jacket unless it's a trenchcoat. I like mine, and wear it a lot, but looking forward to comparing it to the J29 I've got coming for SS13.

...being a blazer cut it's a little difficult to wear it as a layer underneath a gore ACR jacket unless it's a trenchcoat.

Yup, definitely need a trench-like cut to cover it, if one intends to not use it as the outer layer. It's longish. Most hardshells, Acronym or otherwise, will be cut shorter.

I'd say more like the latter; it's not massively warm, and being a blazer cut it's a little difficult to wear it as a layer underneath a gore ACR jacket unless it's a trenchcoat. I like mine, and wear it a lot, but looking forward to comparing it to the J29 I've got coming for SS13.

so gt-j29 is getting another go around for ss13?

so gt-j29 is getting another go around for ss13?

ss13 will see gtj29a - a for (edit) ... 'advanced' version of the already improbably advanced ...(as with GTJ5 and GTJ5A). means: same silhouette, change in details.

Edited by daniel

I am interested in the ds-j5. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it basically a softshell in blazer form? Looking for a lightweight blazer style jacket that's lightweight and easily packable. It sounds like it would fit the bill. Better than the j-29, or vice versa?

it's odd, the current trend for blazers is to be a slim cut - if that's what you're looking for, i'm not sure this will fulfill that requirement. it has details that read blazer, but for me it works better as a pure jacket (in the non-gentlemen's sense).

i might feel otherwise if there was an xs, will try to post pics soon to illustrate what I mean.

in the meantime, for the stated purpose of being a blazer, the outlier one is spot on.

Why is everyone selling their acronym in XL?!

Responding to readytoignite, I'm definitely not concerned about a slim cut blazer (I've got an extensive yohji yamamoto collection, for example), but thanks for your comments. I guess my goal is something that I can wear while traveling and still retain a bit of a "business" feel while not having to worry about it getting wrinkled or dirty. My job is requiring a fair amount of travel coming up, often in a semi-formal environment.

That said, I think I am going to wait until the new collection drops to see what other craziness is in store. Should be soon, right?

Why is everyone selling their acronym in XL?!

Responding to readytoignite, I'm definitely not concerned about a slim cut blazer (I've got an extensive yohji yamamoto collection, for example), but thanks for your comments. I guess my goal is something that I can wear while traveling and still retain a bit of a "business" feel while not having to worry about it getting wrinkled or dirty. My job is requiring a fair amount of travel coming up, often in a semi-formal environment.

unless you work in advertising, fashion, urban architecture or another industry where edginess is valorized, i think it's a risky choice. btw i would not normally put yohji and slim in the same sentence, guess i'm way behind the times?

Question for you:

GT-J17

or

E-J1A ?

Which is the better in your opinions an why.

I love the look of the E but the idea of Gore Tex appeals.

Frankly not overly worried about the weather proofness other than light showers as lets face it, we are rarely exposed to such harshness anyhow.

So it comes down the aesthetics and build/design.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Question for you:

GT-J17

or

E-J1A ?

Which is the better in your opinions an why.

I love the look of the E but the idea of Gore Tex appeals.

Frankly not overly worried about the weather proofness other than light showers as lets face it, we are rarely exposed to such harshness anyhow.

So it comes down the aesthetics and build/design.

Love to hear your thoughts.

EJ1A wins on aesthetics, J17 is ''just another'' jacket actually.

For a decent price I would always pick up the J17 as an extra jacket to have, but the J1 model is the one I and many others would pay top dollar for. The cotton will also, in my opinion, age much nicer then GoreTex. GoreTex always has the tendency to turn yellow on the inside, it looks so nasty. The cotton will develop a patina with wear although it will be much more prone to rips and tears.

Edited by shadows

EJ1A wins on aesthetics, J17 is ''just another'' jacket actually.

For a decent price I would always pick up the J17 as an extra jacket to have, but the J1 model is the one I and many others would pay top dollar for. The cotton will also, in my opinion, age much nicer then GoreTex. GoreTex always has the tendency to turn yellow on the inside, it looks so nasty. The cotton will develop a patina with wear although it will be much more prone to rips and tears.

Well quite literally, from the Shadows come light, shining like a beacon of total sense.

I shall seek that down right away then.

Thankyou sir for your input - greatly appreciated.

I will return like a big game hunter one day complete with the trophy mounted proudly about my person.

Well quite literally, from the Shadows come light, shining like a beacon of total sense.

I shall seek that down right away then.

Thankyou sir for your input - greatly appreciated.

I will return like a big game hunter one day complete with the trophy mounted proudly about my person.

depending on what size you are hunting be ready to buckle down and be in it for the long haul, they made six-seven e-j1a in total in xl for instance.

What color / fabric is used for new J1A coming ? I love the color of S-J1A.

have they even confirmed they are making one?, there's none in the SS13 atleast, and FW13 is still a couple of weeks off afaik,

Edited by magik

i know as much that they in theory could make a reissue of the s-j1a if they wanted to, and that is probably the most asked about piece they ever made, hopefully they do a remake everything exactly the same but just make the cut lengthwise a bit longer across the board.