Westbrook

Acronym.

Before April Fool's day comes to an end, I just have to say... wtf is this?

Video/YouTube is a great format for a lot of things, but for sharing opinions on something like this I don't understand.  That could've been a couple hundred-word post that could be read/digested in 2 minutes, but instead it's drawn out to almost 11 minutes for no added benefit.  What a waste of time, literally!

33 minutes ago, X.bee said:

Ok I know I keep asking this, but Raf in person just looks brown to me. Seeing the J36 & P32 both in Raf stotz I'm even more confused, they look like 2 different shades to me. Am I trippin out?? I passed on the Raf 36 like I did the Raf P23a & went with black. Wish they would just make a straight olive colorway.

Funny you mentioned that; The P24S Raf is more on the lighter olive side and the 36 Raf is more greener.  I could be wrong but different fabrics with the same color will always have a different shade

8 hours ago, deathrazr said:

That is not my main concern, I have nothing against anything made in China. The main problem is that I have to pay around 30% more for duties if items are made in China vs tax-free for made in EU garments. 

Do American buyers have any concensus on the vat that would be paid state side now? 

Forgive me if I missed this in a previous post. 

Also is the thought that both factories are producing products, what’s the delineation? Considering all the defects noted in last years releases KTI might help qc standards, just a thought...

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DROVES said:

Do American buyers have any concensus on the vat that would be paid state side now? 

Forgive me if I missed this in a previous post. 

Also is the thought that both factories are producing products, what’s the delineation? Considering all the defects noted in last years releases KTI might help qc standards, just a thought...

If it's shipped from CN US would get a great pass from stuff under threshold which, last I checked, was $2500 for something like 10 bucks in duties. Since it's shipped from CZ we're getting the euro rates and threshold. The "trade war" that the US is currently embroiled in, could change that. So yeah, future remains to be seen.

Edited by CARLOOA

1 hour ago, ArmandGLA said:

Funny you mentioned that; The P24S Raf is more on the lighter olive side and the 36 Raf is more greener.  I could be wrong but different fabrics with the same color will always have a different shade

It's the same fabric.. S = Stotz

4 minutes ago, X.bee said:

It's the same fabric.. S = Stotz

Maybe it is a new tone they are using, I actually like both colors.

it should be the same tone. i believe its just the photo editing on the main site.

What I want to know is if E is approving these edits to give the appearance of an olive colored piece, why not just make olive colored garments? Just my personal opinion, but after seeing Raf in person, I just wasn't feeling that it leans more towards brown than green.

23 hours ago, AvantSol said:

E isn't epic cotton, its encapsulated nylon @brainerd666

Nope, it is Epic
https://www.textileworld.com/textile-world/quality-fabric-of-the-month/2001/08/inside-protection/
and nope, it doesn't "crazy-pill" like everyone is saying

21 minutes ago, moneytalks said:

Nope, it is Epic
https://www.textileworld.com/textile-world/quality-fabric-of-the-month/2001/08/inside-protection/

@moneytalks Please consider the context.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:50 PM, brainerd666 said:

Yes. Unfortunately. The P16A is a much better design IMO. I’m frankly surprised the went with the same pocket design (roughly) as the P10-A. I had a pair in CH and found the pockets very fiddley and always needed two hands to close unless opened under certain circumstances. I love the look of the P10-A style pockets architecturally, but in practice...

I can only imagine how poorly they perform with DS or Epic. Stotz probably performs a bit better due to its relative rigidity but I’d imagine the results are negligible. 

encapsulated_nylon.jpg.26f7c141659e53ba26b3dd719c8ac4b7.jpg

10 hours ago, WiseFool said:

I feel the choice to go with the ivory zippers was due to the fact that the GT is actually milk-white rather than pure white. I imagine the ivory looks better with the milky shade rather than a starkly contrasting pure white. 

Idk. just my 2 cents.

the velcro on the cuff is that cheapo looking superwhite shade tho

16 hours ago, deathrazr said:

The main problem is that I have to pay around 30% more for duties if items are made in China vs tax-free for made in EU garments. 

I don't get it: it is all about USA-China game of thrones? That crazy fee for any kind of stuff from CN to private person via Post or any kind of product made in CN and selling in conus?

9 hours ago, jeddyhsu said:

People concern about clothing made in China while posting this via phones or laptops made in China. ):

It's funny just like our zealots of government & USA-haters here in Mother Russia posting aggressive words @ Twitter, FB or Instagram trying to defend our politics.

Come on, nothing bad seeing "made in China" label at garments in 2K19 especially from brands that can afford hi-end factory there or even build their own.

11 hours ago, jeddyhsu said:

Hey I made this video. If you watched it I am just discussing the whole ordeal of the J1A-GT being made in China because it was interesting to me to see how people felt. I do not really slander or even think the move was a bad idea, as I discuss in the video. 

2 hours ago, unmen said:

I don't get it: it is all about USA-China game of thrones? That crazy fee for any kind of stuff from CN to private person via Post or any kind of product made in CN and selling in conus?

It's Canada/EU thing, there is a trade agreement that goods made in those countries ship customs free. The customs limit in EU is ridiculous 

Oh, I see. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, danii said:

The customs limit in EU is ridiculou

Yep, it's sick. Soon we'll have the same fees here unfortunately.

4 hours ago, cornerska said:

@moneytalks Please consider the context.

encapsulated_nylon.jpg.26f7c141659e53ba26b3dd719c8ac4b7.jpg

yes, the context being epic cotton is "encapsulated nylon"

Posted (edited)

J41

How are you ment to put this on? and zip up?

is it just me but pointless design

I never had to escape from a jacket before

Edited by greencarman

It's to make the jacket easier to take off while seated in your car.

I think it is also known or referred to as a 'gimmick'.

- you need to stay in a clinic where they issue jackets designed for you to not escape from! 

I normally plan ahead and remove before getting in lol

10 minutes ago, greencarman said:

I normally plan ahead and remove before getting in lol

With this you are Not moving in accordance to common behaviour. Even leading politicians worldwide try to avoid this. 

Think twice act once with sense is outdated. Thinking before posting is overrated 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, moneytalks said:

Nope, it is Epic

Yeah, Epic doesn't pill. The encapsulation wears off pretty fast when you wash it, and it doesn't stand up well to heavy wear but that's more a problem with trousers than jackets. 

The DS fabric is the one that pills. And these new P10s say they're made from nylon so they're not Epic. 

32 minutes ago, greencarman said:

J41

How are you ment to put this on? and zip up?

is it just me but pointless design

I never had to escape from a jacket before

You pull the zip up the back like a wetsuit. I tried one on the last time the J41 appeared, and within about two minutes was sweating my face off, too. It's definitely not one of the better jackets Acronym have made, IMO. 

Edited by drgitlin

It's because it's a wetsuit/jacket hybrid!

Back zips actually make sense in a real wetsuit. Easier to get over your shoulders, less cold water flush on your chest, you don't lay on the zip if you are on a board...

1 minute ago, Cornuto said:

It's because it's a wetsuit/jacket hybrid!

Back zips actually make sense in a real wetsuit. Easier to get over your shoulders, less cold water flush on your chest, you don't lay on the zip if you are on a board...

Yes, they do. Makes much less sense in a jacket, particularly if you're going to carry a bag that might sit on the zip.

Just received my shipping notice for the J36-S; got it in black, and I’m excited.

It might be time for someone to repost the classic US import post that gets trotted out every season...

But I’m wondering what the experience has been for people in Canada when it comes to recent imports. What’s am I going to end up paying?

Nothing, AFIAK. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed in this thread already.

Posted (edited)
On 9/19/2017 at 10:56 AM, Voyager said:

D17-US
Duty Guide for the United States
Type UPS   Gen. 1.1   Style  Text

Updated for FW17, this guide corrects a ton of incorrect information I put in last season's guide. This should be more accurate and comprehensive.
HTS Codes supplied by the great @CARLOOA. Many thanks, my friend!

If you're ordering anything that has a value over $800 USD, you will need to pay duties before UPS will deliver it to you. That means if you order two items in one shipment that each value $500 USD, you will need to pay duties since the total value of what's in that box is over $800. If you separate those two items into two shipments, you won't need to pay duties. Sometimes separate shipping costs can be much less than duties. Think before you order!

Acronym mothership ships UPS and they use very generic HTS codes so duties end up being very expensive. If you call UPS and notify them that the shipper is using very generic codes and that you have a more specific code, most of the time you will be able to lower the cost of your duties.

The person you call at UPS depends on the last name of the Importer (you).
Here's a list of the people at UPS you should call once you have a tracking number and the tracking indicates that duties are going to need to be paid.
If your name begins with A thru J, call
Tina Griffin
502-485-2788
or her backup (didn't get the name)
502-485-2064

If your name begins with K-STL
Jacoby Grant
803-502-6885
Or Linda
803-502-6844

If your name begins with STM-Z
Call the Dallas office
972-304-6978

Give them your tracking number and tell them that the shipper has specified a very generic HTS code for the product they shipped to you. As a result, the duties are artificially high. Tell them you have a more specific HTS code that more accurately describes what's in the box.

For Goretex or Windstopper jackets (J16-GT, J28-GT, J61-GT, J58-WS, J65-WS)
Stotz (cotton) jackets (J56-S, J62-S, J64TS-S)

Stotz (cotton) Pants (P23-S, P26-S)
Schoeller Dryskin pants (P23A-DS, P25H-DS)

These codes should drop the cost of duties significantly. Once you get your duties lowered, you can call UPS bill pay at 803-502-2525 to pay them.
Good Luck

If you saved $ and would like to tip us :) .

CARLOOA - 14whfHMopK1rupE9UM5NEoYndTtH8JXsp9

Me - 1FCywy3DRmbPREEWegkJH3djkxw3X4quPx

For those who need the codes. I've also added some quotes I've found after this post if that helps with other pieces.

"I was able to use 6201.93.47 for the S21-DS and duties dropped from around $290 to around $70." - Voyager

"You could try just 6203.42.0000 or 6203.42.0300. I'm just guessing here. @CARLOOA may need to chime in with his expertise. (referencing p23-s)" - Voyager

Also, not sure if it's outdated yet but the codes are from here - https://outdoorindustry.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/RPO-Paper-8.22.161.pdf

Edited by SNg

just a reminder in the whole EPIC discussion:

the code does not stand for fabric or manufacturer but a fabric technology

EPIC® by Nextec’s patented encapsulation technology places a silicone barrier “inside” the fabric, not just on the surface like the older conventional methods of laminating/coating. This silicone barrier drastically decreases a fabric’s absorption; while increasing its weather resistance and aerobic breathability performance.

according to nextec website, so the EPIC technology can be applied to both cotton (E-J21) and nylon (P10A-E)