Westbrook

Acronym.

Haven drops tomorrow at 8am PST for all the fellow Canadians. 

Would anyone have any insight on how much traffic would haven get on their website, how well does their website handles this kind of release? Would it be really hard to purchase on haven? Gonna be my first attempt to purchase, would be great to have an idea of what it would be like thanks!

On 10/14/2018 at 7:31 PM, upheavel said:

If you people buying ACR really cared about durability/usability that much they would be purchasing arc'teryx that has a lifetime warranty. 

Plenty of us wear Veilance too. 

On 10/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, CARLOOA said:

I think the new stuff is more akin to technical demonstration marrying high performance fabrics with our beloved Acronym aesthetic. Ferraris aren't daily drivers, nah mean?!

I hate to actually but actually these days they come with seven years free servicing and you could certainly daily drive a California/Portofino or an FF/GTC4 Lusso (and some people do!). 

Since this is the Acronym thread, here's a piece about the Berlin Roborace that Errolson took part in earlier this year: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10/roborace-wants-the-future-of-racing-to-be-ai-plus-humans-working-together/

57 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

Plenty of us wear Veilance too. 

I was talking about the main line not Veilance. The same idea applies to Veilance as well, people are buying it for the brand and the way it looks not because of its durability. You could pay 3x less and just get a Beta and it would last just as long as a Veilance shell. The same is true when my wife tries to tell me Channel and LV has "better" leather than Longchamp or Coach. Sure, the quality is slightly better but she is buying Channel and LV because of the brand and the way it looks, not because of the durability and how many pockets it has. 

Horse is definitely dead bro, better ice that shoulder up. 

18 minutes ago, brainerd666 said:

Horse is definitely dead bro, better ice that shoulder up. 

Nah bro I'm just getting warmed up, its only the 5th inning. 

1 hour ago, upheavel said:

I was talking about the main line not Veilance. The same idea applies to Veilance as well, people are buying it for the brand and the way it looks not because of its durability. You could pay 3x less and just get a Beta and it would last just as long as a Veilance shell. The same is true when my wife tries to tell me Channel and LV has "better" leather than Longchamp or Coach. Sure, the quality is slightly better but she is buying Channel and LV because of the brand and the way it looks, not because of the durability and how many pockets it has. 

Horse dead or not, just wanted to weigh in here.

Veilance is, if anything, less durable than mainline. Veilance actually uses older materials, like Tricot-backed Gore-Tex instead of Gore-Tex Pro, or regular old Coreloft over Coreloft Continuous. On top of that, you're not getting anywhere near the same level of articulation, the face fabrics are often less durable (and in some cases less efficient at shedding water, like with the Monitor Down TW from this most recent season). All of this is, I'm sure, justified by saying that these are pieces made for the city, and not for high-output activities... but it's still pretty lame that you're paying twice as much for something that's actually less versatile than a black Beta AR.

Edited by junkie_dolphin

edit error//syntax//404//616

Edited by brainerd666

1 hour ago, upheavel said:

Nah bro I'm just getting warmed up, its only the 5th inning. 

*wooosh*

19 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Horse dead or not, just wanted to weigh in here.

Veilance is, if anything, less durable than mainline. Veilance actually uses older materials, like Tricot-backed Gore-Tex instead of Gore-Tex Pro, or regular old Coreloft over Coreloft Continuous. On top of that, you're not getting anywhere near the same level of articulation, the face fabrics are often less durable (and in some cases less efficient at shedding water, like with the Monitor Down TW from this most recent season). All of this is, I'm sure, justified by saying that these are pieces made for the city, and not for high-output activities... but it's still pretty lame that you're paying twice as much for something that's actually less versatile than a black Beta AR.

Yeah, this is my experience too.  I had a pair of Voronois years back that ripped in the crotch after <6 months of wear in an office setting.  I requested a warranty replacement and they denied it at first, stating that AV is "more experimental" so their warranty actually doesn't cover as much for AV as it does with the mainline because they expect a degree of failure given its experimental nature.  Took several weeks of back and forth and escalation for them to finally give me store credit.  I think they've gotten better since then, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

3 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Yeah, this is my experience too.  I had a pair of Voronois years back that ripped in the crotch after <6 months of wear in an office setting.  I requested a warranty replacement and they denied it at first, stating that AV is "more experimental" so their warranty actually doesn't cover as much for AV as it does with the mainline because they expect a degree of failure given its experimental nature.  Took several weeks of back and forth and escalation for them to finally give me store credit.  I think they've gotten better since then, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

My guy, those pants are a thorn in their side, I assure you. Serious problems with that design in general. No idea why it's still being made.

That being said, in recent years they've tried to rein Veilance in a little bit. The designs these days are much more conservative. It's sad, in a way, because Arc'teryx should really have a "mad scientist" wing of their design studio. We're talking about some of the absolute best design and technology in the world of technical garments, and it seems like a waste to box that in. I'd love to see a "NikeLab" collaboration-style thing from Arc...

On 10/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, kraak said:

The J74-PX looks great. I wish I had any use for another insulator.

Does anyone know if the P30A-DS is actually part of this drop?

So the P30A-DS won't be part of this collection as per Errolson's comment on IG

I guess E saving the best for last? There has to be a second drop..

20181016_181653.jpg

I think my mind is just stuck on the J1A with the new material, my fault.

For the delamination of my J47a anyone have and fixes? Thinking about waxing it  or using a bunch of iron on gore-Tex patches on the inside.

I wrote ACR repairs but I don’t really think they’re going to repair it. Seems like it would be pretty major and probably need to be replaced. I talked to a Gore-Tex  repair place in Seattle WA and they said there was nothing they could do. They said where the delamination happened isn’t waterproof anymore so it’s basically just a windbreaker. Going to hold out doing any drastic DIY repairs until I hear back from ACR, but I’m open to ideas. 

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. 

27 minutes ago, Bigyen said:

For the delamination of my J47a anyone have and fixes? Thinking about waxing it  or using a bunch of iron on gore-Tex patches on the inside.

I wrote ACR repairs but I don’t really think they’re going to repair it. Seems like it would be pretty major and probably need to be replaced. I talked to a Gore-Tex  repair place in Seattle WA and they said there was nothing they could do. They said where the delamination happened isn’t waterproof anymore so it’s basically just a windbreaker. Going to hold out doing any drastic DIY repairs until I hear back from ACR, but I’m open to ideas. 

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. 

I’m gonna wash my J47a tomorrow’s. Luckily I’ve worn it almost exclusively with some type of long sleeve mid layer. Looking at the neck though... little nervous truth be told. Is it just me, or is the wash knowledge not as wide spread as it should be for cash money garms in this respect? I’m really nervous that I didn’t wash my damn J47 100 wears ago:o

17 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

Nothing sold out. A couple of items never had stock, assuming they're coming in another drop later

More interops?

Without interops, I have no interest.

1 hour ago, brainerd666 said:

I’m gonna wash my J47a tomorrow’s. Luckily I’ve worn it almost exclusively with some type of long sleeve mid layer. Looking at the neck though... little nervous truth be told. Is it just me, or is the wash knowledge not as wide spread as it should be for cash money garms in this respect? I’m really nervous that I didn’t wash my damn J47 100 wears ago:o

It's just cleaning your clothes, it's not going to ruin them. What are you nervous about?

On 10/15/2018 at 10:13 PM, CARLOOA said:

Basically this. To improve longevity it's advised that if you do any sort of hardwearing to wash every 10–30 uses to clean all the accumulated dirt and grime. The "patina" many are fond of is of detriment to the performance of the fabrics—especially in terms of breathability. Some people report that dirt and oils accelerate degradation/delamination as well.

Welcome back

6 hours ago, jeddyhsu said:

It's just cleaning your clothes, it's not going to ruin them. What are you nervous about?

Because Internet forums like this one have given nerds all over the world the idea that it’s bad to wash your clothes frequently (and in some cases at all).

8 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

read the gore-tex spec, the care method is on it. It says put into dryer after machine wash, which makes me nervous as well lol 

1 hour ago, dreamboatjustsoul said:

read the gore-tex spec, the care method is on it. It says put into dryer after machine wash, which makes me nervous as well lol 

Done it loads of times on multiple jackets without issue. I put them in those net bags these days but not sure if it makes any difference really.