Westbrook

Acronym.

2 minutes ago, AvantSol said:

Do you climb mountains and fight off titans or something in your acr upheaval? 

Yes, I climb mountains. 

7 hours ago, eidolarr said:

It's totally fair to be critical of Acronym using fabrics that damage easily, since their whole vibe is about function and mobility and durability. But when you say "fast fashion" you're comparing them to companies that are filling up landfills with shitty throwaway clothing, which is unfair imo.

Fast fashion is about huge volume, low prices, low quality. Even the fragile Acronym pieces like the foil bags depreciate little and often make their way through three owners before being retired. And obviously Acronym is not high volume low price :) there's tons of well-made-but-not-durable clothing in menswear and high fashion all around, but you wouldn't compare that to Zara.

I'm not saying ACR is fast fashion; I'm saying Errolson is often openly critical of fast fashion. That criticality often comes with the suggestion, explicit or implicit, that the mentality regarding consumption needs to change. That's all well and good—spend more on a jacket, get more life out of it, don't buy a new one every year, etc. But recent releases—especially the foil 3As—have made me question just how sincere that line of rhetoric is. You're telling me no one in the whole ACR crew noticed the shortcomings of that material? They could just made the damn bags out of Cordura, and they would last decades...

5 hours ago, eidolarr said:

Quality is not durability, and tbh i'm fine with Acronym doing a comparatively fragile piece in an experimental fabric now and then. It's not like they are switching everything to be polartec alpha, he's still releasing a heavy goretex jacket and xpac bags.

1. source on polartec alpha not being durable?
  2. I'm not clear on how that white jacket could be polartec alpha, are you sure? It looks like alpha is a fleece kind of fabric, which is not the texture I'm seeing in the promo pics? At the very least it doesn't look like alpha is the outward facing layer which should improve durability quite a bit?

We don't know for sure. Not sure what the initial source was on it being Polartec Alpha. However, look at this image, and compare it to the "honeycomb" shadows behind the ripstop fabric face on the jacket. I realize this is a lot of speculation about a jacket we'll have clear data on in a few days, but I'm just trying to be transparent about my thinking.

As for the word on durability... I can't give you any explicit citations (which would require breaking NDA on research done in-house), but we're seeing a lot of studios move away from it pretty rapidly.

so juicy.. so refreshing.. all that and not one mention of price hikes, am i dreaming?

11 minutes ago, nodre said:

so juicy.. so refreshing.. all that and not one mention of price hikes, am i dreaming?

Meh, lacking context. I retract my previous post. 

Edited by brainerd666

11 minutes ago, nodre said:

Everyone but the GIRL.

6 minutes ago, dreamboatjustsoul said:

the price at hotoveli updated. 

slightly cheaper than bodega. 

Link?

1 hour ago, lopiteaux said:

Link?

It's in the hotoveli drop box folder 

Not too sure if any other retailers will release this Weds

I'm hoping Haven drops too so us Canucks can avoid American duties 

7 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

I'm not saying ACR is fast fashion; I'm saying Errolson is often openly critical of fast fashion. That criticality often comes with the suggestion, explicit or implicit, that the mentality regarding consumption needs to change. That's all well and good—spend more on a jacket, get more life out of it, don't buy a new one every year, etc. But recent releases—especially the foil 3As—have made me question just how sincere that line of rhetoric is. You're telling me no one in the whole ACR crew noticed the shortcomings of that material? They could just made the damn bags out of Cordura, and they would last decades...

You're exposing some of your own biases here though. You're implying that unless the jacket/pants/bag continues to look new then it's not worth keeping. But if the Pants fade after 6 months, so what? It still functions. If the Foil 3As crumple and rip, so what? You patch it! The longevity of a garment is not solely determined by if it gets damaged.

Your line of rhetoric (and these are your words as I don't recall errolson say don't buy a new jacket every year), "spend more on a jacket, get more life out of it" assumes that the most important criticism of fast fashion is that it's disposable and dispensable. However another line of rhetoric you could have drawn from the suggestion that consumption needs to change is 'spend more on a jacket because it fucking costs more to produce'. Customers shouldn't need to justify avoiding fast fashion because they get more functionality out of Acronym. It should be enough that Acronym isn't using exploited workers in Bangladesh and can trace the provenance of their fabrics. 

I'm not saying durability and functionality aren't important factors. But accusing Acronym of hypocrisy is a bit much.

I would quote and quote but whatever. It's interesting what Acronym represents to people. I come from a background of buying a lot of outdoor gear for the purposes of using it for the qualities inherent in the fabric. The most recent seasons have exhibited the Acronym's team newfound proclivity for fabric experimentation and I applaud it.

With regard to Acronym's newfound celebration of wabi-sabi, I think it's pretty interesting that we're going to get these ephemeral pieces that degrade that are also at a relatively absurd pricepoint. Fast-fashion is really just fashion without any consideration other than price arbitrage and cost cutting. It's not about creating a considered product with deliberate design choices outside of financial margins. I don't think durability is a calling card of fashion in general anyway—see haute couture, pretty sure met gala outfits aren't really made to be worn 3 times a week for several years.

I think the new stuff is more akin to technical demonstration marrying high performance fabrics with our beloved Acronym aesthetic. Ferraris aren't daily drivers, nah mean?!

Excited about Polartec Alpha, it is a hi-loft unlined fleece insulation made and used in conjunction with military for highly breathable synthetic (re: usable wet). For what it's worth, I have a years old climbing jacket made from it and it's not been babied like primaloft and it's still functional.

J74 is the first Acronym jacket with Polartec® Alpha® temperature regulating insulation.

Well that settles it.

The J74-PX looks great. I wish I had any use for another insulator.

Does anyone know if the P30A-DS is actually part of this drop?

23 minutes ago, kraak said:

The J74-PX looks great. I wish I had any use for another insulator.

Does anyone know if the P30A-DS is actually part of this drop?

Doesn't seem like it no web store has shown any indications of selling the p30a-ds or the new collar j1a-gt. 2nd drop maybe?

Considering the prices of this week's drop, I'm worried that the hoodless j1a-gt will be well into the double g's range.

I'm really curious how the Infinium fabric is gonna perform, especially in the durability.

28 minutes ago, jeddyhsu said:

Considering the prices of this week's drop, I'm worried that the hoodless j1a-gt will be well into the double g's range.

I would be very surprised if the J1A previewed in the 3A-1 images is hoodless. I think it's more likely the hood has just been removed, and the collar flipped down. Price-wise I don't think you're wrong.

1 hour ago, jeddyhsu said:

I assume it would be priced similar to the j1a-gtv that just dropped.

cant believe im considering a black j47ts when i already have the j47 and j47agt but i really need to go a size down

The J47gt is the only item this drop that I’m interested in but fuuuuuckkk that’s a lot of money. Especially when you factor in tariffs... :o

I've been scratching my head for a while now at what mod would look the best on the 47ts... I'm thinking mz1 or mp2ts but impossible to find either. 

14 minutes ago, msoldano said:

I've been scratching my head for a while now at what mod would look the best on the 47ts... I'm thinking mz1 or mp2ts but impossible to find either. 

3A-MZ1 might be making a return in the new xpac fabric that just got released with the bags. Its shown in the 3a-5ts product shots.

7 minutes ago, deathrazr said:

3A-MZ1 might be making a return in the new xpac fabric that just got released with the bags. Its shown in the 3a-5ts product shots.

I know I got super hype when I saw that, definitely releasing just a matter of when. I think that would look the best on the 47 since I'm not a huge fan of how an mz3 or 5 would look on it.

can't wait to see kids confused after buying NG9 thinking they will get the NG3 face cover