Acronym.

Westbrook

58 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

Thank you for this. I know you're not searching for meaning in design but it seems Errolson is very vocal on twitter as to his politics and I find it hard to disassociate his politics from his work. To draw on another parallel, I feel like Acronym attempts to appropriate miltiaria in the same way protest movements did. I think, without more, it fails to do this. He seems very adamant about anti-interventionism, tolerance, the protection of intellectual property, any a myriad of other, for a lack of better term, popular progressive stances. Cultivating the dystopian aesthetic is weird considering political idealism espoused, right?

Anyway, regarding the design. I like this season, I always like parkas and the J61 is like a future mod coat—J61/M51? I tweeted at Errolson once and he said that the J56 wasn't really influenced by anything but the Crye Field Shirt; I wonder if the J61 is heavily influenced or not. I don't really like the sarouel pants because they're too similar to other CDG or Rick stuff but I appreciate the different fabric choices. I really want to put a knife on the left side of the J1TS and my pistol on the ride side and go to the range to get weird looks.

I don't think appropriation is the right idea. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what streetwear is. I think that it is in the references being abstracted into the designers sincere individual expression. Because culture is dynamic this is a contradiction born not from the need for endless expression but the endless need for profit.

How do you hold back this contradiction? Move with the reference, become self-referential, change the reference.

When luxury brands reference it's inherently insincere. I don't think Vetement's irony is sincere. A COLD WALL's reference is a concept.

I'm not sure if its good enough to say streetwear is just "sweatshirts n tees". Acronym is streetwear but much more than the sum of even it's non obvious references.

I feel like the agitation from individuals that half contradict their current social position, that is, the boss of a company first and a creative second is that they recognize that capitalism stifles individual expression. I assume the lack of real world activism is because of twitters tendency to be a individualist echo chamber where you are blind to the need for actual collective expression to have any chance of change.

9 hours ago, 78 said:

Very true. 

The thing that was particularly upsetting was they did it without informing us. It did feel that they disregarded the folks who had been supporting the brand for ever (Been buying ACR since their first 'global' release... I cant even remember the year anymore... 04/05 I believe?).

I understand why they did it. What left a bad taste was how they did it.

They did show love back for the DAF drop but not for the SS drop. Like someone mentioned it does suck that you need to buy shit blindly without having time to check measurements... otherwise it'll sell out. Hearing a size small P25 has a 51.5cm waist may cause some confusion for some buyers...

I'm hopeful E and M will keep exploring new ways to create a more favourable buying experience/environment. 

Maybe show the collection earlier so people can know what's coming out? Not all of us have the time/connections to illicit pics of upcoming drops...

(Btw sup to some of the older cats here)

Let's be honest; back in the day it was 5D and not SuFu that was the real OG hangout anyway. 

5 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

Got my J1TS-S in. S/O to Haven. Feels bigger than the J1A-GT.

Would love to hear more detailed sizing feedback and impressions on the J1TS-S if you have time. 

It does look a little bigger/bulkier in photos that the J1A, if that makes sense. 

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

Would love to hear more detailed sizing feedback and impressions on the J1TS-S if you have time. 

It does look a little bigger/bulkier in photos that the J1A, if that makes sense. 

Feels roomier in general. With the J58-WS under, it isn't as tight as the J1A-GT.

5 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

Feels roomier in general. With the J58-WS under, it isn't as tight as the J1A-GT.

Do you think it has anything to do with the material? I own both as well and don't feel that much a difference when layering. I just feel like GT just offers little to no stretch.

Just now, AvantSol said:

Do you think it has anything to do with the material? I own both as well and don't feel that much a difference when layering. I just feel like GT just offers little to no stretch.

All of my Stotz garments felt roomier when I bought them. They all have shrunk about 2-3% over time, which is to be expected being cotton and all. Perhaps the J1TS-S was cut looser with future potential shrinkage in mind.

3 minutes ago, AvantSol said:

I was on the border of the medium/large sizing and this fits a bit better on me with the insulator than the GT. It might be that the expansion zip is also different allowing a bit more stretch on the grosgrain since it's not rubberized anymore.

5 hours ago, exhaust fumes said:

what's another united tie/outlet of Techwear other than buying stuff/talking about buying stuff?

Yes. This is something I've been thinking about too, especially after meeting other people interested in fashion/tech/etc and having absolutely nothing in common with them. I was drawn to Acronym via cyberpunk.. not anime, but William Gibson.

To me the Gibson-esque culture that I love falls somewhere between Sonic Youth and Autechre ... hacking and art ... glitches and emotions ... Joseph Cornell and James Bridle. These are the cultural touch points for me, and if anyone wants to start some threads to talk about music or art I'd probably end up spending a lot more time here.

I think the mistake that exhaust fumes is making is that you believe "techwear" to be a perfect subset of determined and adhered-to qualities and quantities. And it's not; it's such a broad catchall  term and all the people who are "into" it fall on a spectrum rather than into that set of expectations.  And because of the many backgrounds and interests and expectations that people bring with them, the mod analogy is poor. The reason that I am into acrnm is different than the reason branesplod is into veilance is different than the reason carloaa came here is different than the reason Dani stays here.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

its nice to see some of the old timers pass thru :)

Edited by jbob24

Reading the open questions about commonalities and characteristic umbrellas amongst consumer base, I thought I'd share my own personal reasons for wearing acronym to provide a single line aspect of perspective. 

As someone whose been in this "game" (as in "fashion game") for over 10 years now, although there has always been various contributing innate human tangent factors (such as wanting to "stunt") the overall encompassing draw of an item or a line is the design and the designer. 

As a designer of many things in my professional and personal life (sound, graphic, UX, etc.), and growing up as someone who played many games with equip your character mechanics, getting dressed (not just clothes, but hair whatever) has always been about designing my identity. This lead to exploring countless designers and their principles and types and genres of items creating different combinations of design identities that represented me each and every morning. BUT my identity in itself IS a designer so it was not so much the result and its face value characteristics (color, shape, cost) that represented my identity but, the equation that the result alludes to that does. The answer to "How did you even think of that?" is what represented my identity. 

Fast forward to current day, my wardrobe is 100% Acronym and Visvim and they are only ever crossed on days I feel "adventurous" but 99% of the time proprietary (some SISP will mix with ACR on occasion). The reason this is the case is because as a designer I truly appreciate and understand the "equation" that is taking place when I look at the end result when it comes to these two brands. And to me, the larger scope of the identity of a designer, even more so than designing itself, is to understand and interpret design.  So since I TRUST Errolson (& team) & Hiroki (& team) as designers, wearing their collections in proprietary fashion is not a reflection of their design principles but my own understanding and interpretation of the intent of their designs and how they align with my own. 

Aside from that I like to ball and it ain't trickin' if you got it but if you ain't got it then don't trick. Simple. 

Anywho, I don't see acronym getting to any type of mainstream esque place ever.  Hypebeasts only wanna trick and stunt in IG and majority of people with IG flex mentalities are by definition trickin' aka broke. There are much cheaper things that can accomplish the same goal. "Then I spent $1500 bucks on this just to say nigga you ain't up on this. " iono bout that.

What's the first watch you think a hypebeast going to cop? It's 100% going to be a Rollie its 0% of the time going to be a Patek / Panerai.*

*this is by no means a negative statement on Rolex nor a positive statement on Patek. This is simply an analogy using two high-end watch brand's mainstream notoriety relative to status. Panerai added to defuse initial snobbish nature of statement being relative to price.

Edited by erictheninja
shit grammar

Oh?But in my opinion actually Rollie and PP are very similar to ACR:

Good archive by official, rich reference(for acr i mean Hugh's experience from Osti and german BW or so), the best or nothing, secondary market(well, not so good for acr, used to be good at least) 

Also, users from R and P are highly coincident.

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

5 hours ago, aziatique said:

Heads up, Notre Shop in Chicago released SS1617 in-store and are releasing online on Monday, though I'm not sure if it's separate stock. Might be last chance to buy (for retail)

https://www.notre-shop.com/

https://www.instagram.com/notre_shop/

I've got an email for Haven saying that there WILL be a second release as well.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:46 PM, Questlove said:

Looks like E was sitting on this footage since last summer. If I was him, I would've been itching to release this vid asap (so good). 

His girl is so fine. He said they met randomly on a dance floor at an industry party. And he's got a daughter with mikaela also; I keep wondering if that was a surprise baby. 

2 hours ago, StolenBread said:

How about an approximate time? I need some time to pad my wallet before i go ahead and blow it all on more mods and maybe a jacket

For FW16, the first drop was mid-September and the second drop came early November. About a month and a half would be a good guess.