Westbrook

Acronym.

On 27/02/2017 at 11:28 PM, fpar said:

Just a friendly little PSA, but if you're bidding on any of these via proxy, you're about to get a fake:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w170010663

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f206580745

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k244295639

I'm sure there are some that already know it, but considering the amount of proxy bids on them and the current prices, it's pretty safe to say that a lot of people don't realize it.  There's likely a lot more out there but these are ones that I've just come across now.  The sellers are all selling the same items and they're all fake.

There are an absurd amount of fakes (acronym, visvim, wtaps, tom browne, gucci, supreme, givenchy) being sold on YJP from sellers in Osaka and Fukuoka which suggests that it's likely yakuza-related business. The pattern is usually that the item gets won and paid for, then the item gets shipped to the buyer (or proxy) in Japan directly from China via a forwarding service with no return address.

Just thought I'd pass on a little info.  I assume quite a few people have already gotten burned but hopefully this will save a few more in the future. 

Absolutely. Couldn't have said that better myself, if your dealing with people on there be sure to ask for proof and location before laying down the cash. Also use YAWallet and you can claim for fakes. (Though, it is painfully slow.)

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get replacement zippers from - accidentally snagged one and the pull part of the slider snapped off.

I've sussed out the YKK site and it looks like it's this one: http://www.ykkfastening.com/products/zipper/slider/zipper_type/coil_zipper/5cn/5cn_dsbyg.html

But doesn't look like I can purchase from YKK as a retail customer. Any help would be much appreciated!

Anybody know when the next drop Is?

and anything interesting , Softshell etc

On 28/02/2017 at 10:00 AM, Flipflop214 said:

ACG is to ACR as CDG Play is to CDG, drop more ACG with E's design/concepts and viola.. problem solved.  Now someone sell me their mint Olive GT-J36 in sz M or L, I'll pay a kings ransom.  ha

I'll take a black M.

The olive shall remain a dream

(long time lurker, first time poster)

Could someone please go into more detail (or point me in the direction of a guide) on how to spot acronym fakes? Or maybe more specifically, how to tell the ones in those links specifically are fake? I have no intention of buying acronym from yjp, but I'm curious as to what the signifiers are.

Biggest give aways for me are the zipper pulls as most acr uses either camlock or vislon ykks or raccagni zips that are distinctive and absent on the fakes. The other easy way to tell is that the interior of whatever shell fabric the fakes use looks pretty different from the goretex pro backer - it has a lighter more "plasticy" look and the grid pattern is less prominent compared to the real thing. As always though, the best way to spot fakes is by the deals that are too good to be true.

Edited by tv_ice

29 minutes ago, parka-boy said:

(long time lurker, first time poster)

Could someone please go into more detail (or point me in the direction of a guide) on how to spot acronym fakes? Or maybe more specifically, how to tell the ones in those links specifically are fake? I have no intention of buying acronym from yjp, but I'm curious as to what the signifiers are.

The quickest giveaway is the zipper pulls. Some of the fakes have decent looking zippers on the front of the jacket, but I have yet to see one with the correct zipper pulls on the gravity pocket. The fakes have generic looking black metal zipper pulls with large openings like the first image, whereas real ACR have zipper pulls like that of the second image. 

IMG_1098.jpg

TB2plioaqi5V1BjSspaXXbrApXa_!!2373360472.jpg

I think those images were uploaded in reverse. Indeed the gravity pocket image is the genuine jacket.

^ Nope. there's Gore that looks exactly like the image on the left. Maybe Acronym doesn't use it, I'll check when I get home. But, I have a Veilance jacket with me right now that looks exactly like that and it ain't fake.

1 hour ago, Bigyen said:

^ Nope. there's Gore that looks exactly like the image on the left. Maybe Acronym doesn't use it, I'll check when I get home. But, I have a Veilance jacket with me right now that looks exactly like that and it ain't fake.

1 hour ago, barto said:

Might be a difference between regular GT and GT- pro which I think acronym uses

Yep. Gore-tex PRO w/ a micro-grid backer has a very specific pattern and look. Gore-tex makes a number of different fabrics/backers (windstopper, c-knit, etc) that have different looks and feels. I own a veilance piece from this season that has c-knit, it has a different weight and has more of a sheen. AFAIK all ACR hardshells are GT-pro or paclite, but could be mistaken.

edit: goofd

Edited by solographik

Thanks for the clarification, my bad! Removed the post to not add confusion.

ACRNM P25-CH -please let them have the sizing of the 15/17/23

2 hours ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

ACRNM P25-CH -please let them have the sizing of the 15/17/23

I think they will, considering the P25-CH has "the belt"

To be more pedantic about Gore Tex ("GT"): the face fabric can be whatever with a GT jacket—Nanamica make the cruiser with a cotton face with a GT membrane. The  expanded polytetrafluoroethylene ("ePTFE") membrane is the GT technology. I realize "Gore-Tex" is a metonym for waterproof fabric but we're 'bout that minutiae here, right?

GT fabrics are usually sandwich constructed from outside to inside with outer layer, membrane, inner backer. GT Pro is the most "balanced" with breathability and durability with a 40 or higher denier face and the current microgrid backer (construction: face/membrane/backer). This is the heavier wearing crinkly GT that is required because the membrane layer isn't coated with polyurethane ("PU") for protection. GT w/ C-Knit features the circular knit "backer"—the skin facing layer that has a little loft for soft feel and lighter weight with a standard non-air permeable membrane (construction: face/membrane/backer). Paclite is a 2/2.5 layer fabric with just face/membrane rather than the face/membrane/backer construction. Active is another GT technology—not really familiar with it other than I have a Arc'Teryx Norvan that has super beading and lesser wear resistance.

As far as I know, W.L. Gore controls/collaborates with the garment licensees for the fabric/garment making.

Edit:

With regard to water vapor escaping through the membrane—breathability isn't really appreciably different across the Gore-Tex line in my experience. It has to be a swamp in the jacket to really have perceptible differences something like >90% humidity. Also, to be clear to those who don't understand technical fabrics, they provide no warmth other than your bodyheat. If it is cold outside, you can maintain a sort of microclimate but when your bare skin touches the inner backer—there is no additional insulation and you will feel the cold. Additionally, you won't notice breathability when it's super cold or super hot out.

Edited by CARLOOA

9 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Controversial idea: post count minimum for posting in Community Sales Thread?

I like the idea in principle but it means potentially spouting a stream of shite elsewhere ! - a bit like me I suppose :P

I think it's fine, I doubt anybody is finding the j1a/j28s that they're looking for here.  They must have all had the same original idea at the same time. 

Edited by jbob24

Anyone in Germany know if the Lufthansa strikes are still delaying DHL stuff? I know they reached a verdict on it, but I guess there's a backlog. 

My AF1s are still floating around in the postal ether. USPS says they haven't received them, and DHL "says" they handed them off to USPS. 

My friend told me: DHL = dauert halt länger. Oy. 

DHL = dauert halt länger.

Edited by limeaide

Think it's just blind luck. I just ordered two things from Berlin with basic DHL shipping. One processed quickly and got delivered few days ago and one is still sitting somewhere in the logistics center in Frankfurt.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:25 PM, CARLOOA said:

To be more pedantic about Gore Tex ("GT"): the face fabric can be whatever with a GT jacket—Nanamica make the cruiser with a cotton face with a GT membrane. The  expanded polytetrafluoroethylene ("ePTFE") membrane is the GT technology. I realize "Gore-Tex" is a metonym for waterproof fabric but we're 'bout that minutiae here, right?

GT fabrics are usually sandwich constructed from outside to inside with outer layer, membrane, inner backer. GT Pro is the most "balanced" with breathability and durability with a 40 or higher denier face and the current microgrid backer (construction: face/membrane/backer). This is the heavier wearing crinkly GT that is required because the membrane layer isn't coated with polyurethane ("PU") for protection. GT w/ C-Knit features the circular knit "backer"—the skin facing layer that has a little loft for soft feel and lighter weight with a standard non-air permeable membrane (construction: face/membrane/backer). Paclite is a 2/2.5 layer fabric with just face/membrane rather than the face/membrane/backer construction. Active is another GT technology—not really familiar with it other than I have a Arc'Teryx Norvan that has super beading and lesser wear resistance.

As far as I know, W.L. Gore controls/collaborates with the garment licensees for the fabric/garment making.

Edit:

With regard to water vapor escaping through the membrane—breathability isn't really appreciably different across the Gore-Tex line in my experience. It has to be a swamp in the jacket to really have perceptible differences something like >90% humidity. Also, to be clear to those who don't understand technical fabrics, they provide no warmth other than your bodyheat. If it is cold outside, you can maintain a sort of microclimate but when your bare skin touches the inner backer—there is no additional insulation and you will feel the cold. Additionally, you won't notice breathability when it's super cold or super hot out.

I very much agree that GT as a stand alone is not sufficient to withstand extremes of cold. It is however excellent for layering purposes (IMO). I spend the majority of my time up here in the Artic wastes of Maine, and the elements at their best can bring a stout man low quite easily. I'm 37 and I've spent all of those years in said wastes. I've experimented with a variety of protective layers from head to toe. I'm a bit finicky in the sense that I don't care for hats, and prefer to layer as the weather can change quickly and spending a few minutes indoors between excursions can be rather uncomfortable if you're wearing the husk of a bantha. My preferred/most successful  loadout has come to light just this season. It consists of a core layer Tikak Poutnik Sage Sweatshirt, base layer LL Bean Signature Merino wool cardigan, shell layer ACR J34-GT, supplemented by a merino/nylon weave neck gaiter, and merino/nylon gloves (both courtesy of Kiui Outfitters, and both of which weigh mere grams apiece). It's really surprising how effective the merino and new school synthetics are at regulating temperature, especially in tandem. I can easily go between high/low energy activity, and quick temperature changes without getting the sweats/chills. Just before posting this I was wearing the above ensemble(minus the gaiter/gloves), at a bar for over an hour, albeit unzipped/buttoned, and felt perfectly comfy. Upon exiting the bar I zipped up and felt just fine in the 23 degree weather. 

IMG_2615.PNG

Edited by brainerd666
I am not a member of COBRA but I do wish I was an alternate reality version of Stormshadow

^^

What the chef said about sitting at the bar fully-dressed and whatnot.  Been layering synthetics, merino, & Gore-Tex or eVent for a couple of winters, and it easily copes with 40°F indoor/outdoor temperature changes without unzipping and ungaitering.

5 hours ago, misanthropod said:

^^

What the chef said about sitting at the bar fully-dressed and whatnot.  Been layering synthetics, merino, & Gore-Tex or eVent for a couple of winters, and it easily copes with 40°F indoor/outdoor temperature changes without unzipping and ungaitering.

I'd love to see Errolson do a long length split hem merino shirt or a decent technical fleece (I mean high loft fleece not softshell). Hell, they could do a loro-piana button up overshirt and I'd be ecstatic. DS and WS are cool as shirt materials but I don't really like the current iteration of DS as a winter base layer. Additionally, I'd like to see Acronym incorporate polartec alpha, I like how well it functions for aerobic activities while retaining enough heat when cold.

Agreed, I really want to see some none-softshell middle layers. More technical cut/articulated sweatshirt and next-to-skin items. 

I really liked the nemen shirts we got a couple years back :)

2 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

Additionally, I'd like to see Acronym incorporate polartec alpha, I like how well it functions for aerobic activities while retaining enough heat when cold.

Agree, unfortunately it's normally designed into more of an outer layer and max breathabilty gets mucked up by less than breathable face layers used to push it as outerwear. The newer iteration that doesn't need a face and backer might be an answer to this... but I've only seen ugly applications of it so far. Love to see some out the box thinking with this material.