Acronym.

Westbrook

Okay, does anyone actually use their gravity pockets on the regular? I'll occasionally put my phone in their or stash a few dollars, but after the first day or two of having them I gave up on getting stuff out using the snap. I like to cinch the cuffs up too much for the phone to be able to drop out, so I have to loosen my sleeve to use it, then snapping it back into place is a hassle.

This is part of the reason why I think the hype around Acronym will die down shortly; the average consumer is spending a lot of money for gadgets and functions they won't use. That's in all likelihood a relief to a lot of the OG followers but, I doubt the prices will ever come back down as a result.

Okay, does anyone actually use their gravity pockets on the regular? I'll occasionally put my phone in their or stash a few dollars, but after the first day or two of having them I gave up on getting stuff out using the snap. I like to cinch the cuffs up too much for the phone to be able to drop out, so I have to loosen my sleeve to use it, then snapping it back into place is a hassle.

... and I never use my gravity pockets. It's a shame, though; it's such a cool concept.

NFC/wireless payments aren't yet popular in the USA but really cool daily uses in advanced societies involves sticking your credit and subway/transit cards in gravity pockets then just tapping your wrist at the appropriate terminals. Faster even than Android/Apple Pay...

NFC/wireless payments aren't yet popular in the USA but really cool daily uses in advanced societies involves sticking your credit and subway/transit cards in gravity pockets then just tapping your wrist at the appropriate terminals. Faster even than Android/Apple Pay...

This. I put the Muni Card in the gravity pocket commuting around San Francisco. I blow minds daily

i'd try to find a stockist in NA to avoid import duty if possible. as for shipping i bought straight from acronym and it got to california in about 5 days.

It will be as fast as Acrnm to USA, 3-5 days after being shipped (sometimes the shipping process doesn't take place until a week or two after payment).

Buying from the US and shipping to Canada, he will pay duties unless the store declares it under 80 CAD and uses USPS.

Cheapest way is buying direct from Acrnm and ship to US address, then smuggle it into CAN.  Otherwise its a wash.

Why would you not use your goddam gravity pockets?!!

IMG_3542.gif

This. I put the Muni Card in the gravity pocket commuting around San Francisco. I blow minds daily

The umbrella thing looks super cool and almost makes sense to me. It's not something you would want to take out or stow repeatedly. If you're taking it out, you're probably taking it out for a while and it would be something you'd want to just leave in the pocket to have handy when you needed it. But if I'm wearing that jacket I don't feel like I need an umbrella.

Like a couple of other people pointed out though, the other scenarios don't actually take advantage of the gravity aspect of the gravity pockets

I guess I'm not like mad at gravity pockets or anything, they are really fun and when you use it it feels cool. I guess my issue is just kind of how people talk about the design of some of these things. Like "this is the height of human centered design. Everything will integrate with your life so smoothly for optimal efficiency" and I feel like it's really more of "look at this fun thing. it's silly but brings me more joy than I can reasonably explain." That second sentiment is great! It's definitely enough to justify buying a jacket. I just feel like I'm missing out on some design logic/uses sometimes and want to learn if other people are using it differently. 

The umbrella thing looks super cool and almost makes sense to me. It's not something you would want to take out or stow repeatedly. If you're taking it out, you're probably taking it out for a while and it would be something you'd want to just leave in the pocket to have handy when you needed it. But if I'm wearing that jacket I don't feel like I need an umbrella.

Like a couple of other people pointed out though, the other scenarios don't actually take advantage of the gravity aspect of the gravity pockets

I guess I'm not like mad at gravity pockets or anything, they are really fun and when you use it it feels cool. I guess my issue is just kind of how people talk about the design of some of these things. Like "this is the height of human centered design. Everything will integrate with your life so smoothly for optimal efficiency" and I feel like it's really more of "look at this fun thing. it's silly but brings me more joy than I can reasonably explain." That second sentiment is great! It's definitely enough to justify buying a jacket. I just feel like I'm missing out on some design logic/uses sometimes and want to learn if other people are using it differently. 

I don't know that anyone has used that phrasing/sentiment to describe Gravity Pockets specifically, but perhaps Acronym in general, yes.  It's a Gestalt thing: some individual features (like Gravity Pocket) are nice-to-haves, and even border-line gimmicky; while others are personally necessary.  Some quick, personal favorite examples:

• DFMA/KG Block is tragically underrated and an amazing advancement in pattern-making/articulation.  Stretchy fabrics are the easiest way to solve the range-of-movement constraint of clothes (something Outlier relies heavily on), but articulation/pattern-making is the solution.  People take for granted that you can move as freely as you want in something so rigid (e.g. Stotz, GTX).  The fact that most shells are black also hides this quite well, as you don't notice the (lack of) seams.  It's hard to find a jacket these days with shoulder seams (obstacle #1 for range of motion).  
  • Phone pocket: I hate things in my regular pant pockets because they're often too small or inaccessible when seated, made worse with the ever increasing size of phones.  Phone pocket solved this years ago before the dawn of smartphones.  In here, the phone/item is perfectly accessible always, at the perfect height, and feels as if it's not there.  Can't say the same for normal pockets at all.
  • J43-variants' length: on first glance and release, most people thought this jacket too short, myself included.  Upon use, lots of saavy owners realized that this was intentional so as to prevent the high collar/hood from getting into your face when seated (as that would push the jacket up if it were normal length).  A great example of what Errolson means when he says that having a seam an inch in the wrong direction could make the entire garment not function properly.  Things are cut intentionally.
  • Jacket sling: simple yet effective; is there any better way to carry an unworn jacket?
  • Interops: for a lot of people this is a nice-to-have, but for myself this is necessary, especially when traveling.  As one that never leaves the house without a bag, being able to don and doff a shell without removing my bag is a great level of first-world convenience, especially in SF where microclimates are the name of the game and temperatures can vary wildly literally from block to block; not to mention when going between indoors and out.

If you just need a waterproof shell, there are far cheaper options.  However, all these features (and more) culminate in "the height of human-centered design", to use your phrasing lol.  Acronym faced a lot of "why would I need this [feature]" in its early days, but now many of those features remain unchanged and have become "why doesn't everything have this?"  I think that reveals Errolson and co's keen insight into functional design.  Similar to the iPhone's first critics: some people hated the fact that there was only one button (home), no tactile keyboard, and only a touchscreen--why would I want this?  Now, can you imagine a phone without a touchscreen--why doesn't every [phone] have this?

Edited by piece keeper

^

True, but the "gravity functionality" is pretty useless in that case

put your wallet in there (not a big Constanza wallet but something slim like Secrid)

HoNVDzC.gif

Quite particular question here, but has anyone got a J55 insulator? Wondering how suitable it would be under a J28-K or a J53-GT?

Thanks in advance if you're able to help!

I have a J55-MP and J28 and J53. The 55 is a nylon faced foam backed jacket so it's lightly insulated—I don't think it's keeping you super warm below 40F. If you size match its good under the same sized ACR jacket. One of the underrated things about it is the super soft interior lining. I cannot speak to weatherproofness beyond very light showers. Some things to keep in mind is the midsection is looser than a lot of ACR stuff and you cannot mount the sling on the exterior. If there is any issue it's the zipper slider—graphite on the teeth fixed it. Edited by CARLOOA

Thanks Carlooa, think I'll be getting this or a veilance mionn as an insulator as I doubt I can justify the cost of a J58 when i wouldn't wear it on its own too!

I like the J55-MP over the Mionn IS. It is actually probably my most worn ACRNM jacket. I also have a Mionn IS. They’re very similar jackets:

The Mionn is essentially an upmarket Atom LT—I don't mean that disparagingly either. The Mionn is profile fitted where the J55 is loose. The Mionn is also shorter than the J55. The J55 has ribbed/knitted cuffs and hem—they haven’t pilled yet on mine. The Mionn forgoes this styling for same material nylon all around.

There is a two way zip on the J55, Raccagni Super R, it’s very visible but functional, the other zips on it are reverse coil YKKs at the holster pockets and detached pockets. The Mionn’s zips are reverse coil YKKs and very unobtrusive.

The Mionn has internal pocketing and the J55 has the holster pockets and detached front pockets. The Mionn is Gattaca, the J55 is Mad Max Fury Road. The Mionn is a Nissan GTR. The J55 is a AMG Black Series.

Edited by CARLOOA