Acronym.

Westbrook

Couldn't see this already having been discussed so do we think the style code or the description is wrong for "J50-S"? Description says it's climashield/WS again but it doesn't look the same as last year's although it looks more insulated than if it were just Stotz...

2ac90c9e02_w710.jpg

766b524c94_w950.jpg

I think the WS is just a copy error. I think that the face fabric is going to affect the visible drape though. I'm not an expert at photogrammetry though.

Edited by CARLOOA

Anyone care to guesstimate how many customers Acronym have world wide? And related to this - how many samples of each garment is typically made?

I mean Acronym keeps getting more and more popular, but my understanding as to the way they operate (parsing interviews with Errolson etc.) is that they simply cannot produce much more than they already do without sacrificing quality and innovation. What they put out each season is all they can afford to put out, and there is allot of reinvestment back into the company. The J1A-GT does seem to be a bit of an outlier though, it seems like they produced a ton of those as way of "introducing" people to the brand. 

I mean Acronym keeps getting more and more popular, but my understanding as to the way they operate (parsing interviews with Errolson etc.) is that they simply cannot produce much more than they already do without sacrificing quality and innovation. What they put out each season is all they can afford to put out, and there is allot of reinvestment back into the company. The J1A-GT does seem to be a bit of an outlier though, it seems like they produced a ton of those as way of "introducing" people to the brand. 

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

To guess how many customers the brand have may be a meaningless task. How would one go about quantifying it, anyways. We have some stats from social media, of course. From the acrhive insta-page, sufu board and facebook page combined I'd guess there would aproximately five thousand following the brand regularly. Between five and ten thousand? Maybe closer to five than to ten? I don't know.

Regarding how many garments typically are produced; are we talking a couple of dozens of each garment? A couple of hundred?

Edit: Just saw that acrhive has 18.5 k followers. That changes the game completely. 

Edited by Haackk

Yeah, that's my understanding as well.

To guess how many customers the brand have may be a meaningless task. How would one go about quantifying it, anyways. We have some stats from social media, of course. From the acrhive insta-page, sufu board and facebook page combined I'd guess there would aproximately five thousand following the brand regularly. Between five and ten thousand? Maybe closer to five than to ten? I don't know.

Regarding how many garments typically are produced; are we talking a couple of dozens of each garment? A couple of hundred?

Edit: Just saw that acrhive has 18.5 k followers. That changes the game completely. 

Also keep in mind that while there are a ton of Acronym fans out there, very few people can actually afford to buy this stuff. 

Edited by jediswayze

Also keep in mind that while there are a ton of Acronym fans out there, very few people can actually afford to buy this stuff. 

The snob/veblen effect of Acronym is real: there is something to be said about the psychological value of Acronym remaining a cult brand and also its high price. The dystopian aesthetic is still avant garde and beautiful. I think it's because people like @originalprogram @1000deaths @bt4d @flipflop214 @edg.e make this shit look so great that it's garnering more attention (props by the way).

Acronym stands out, I think most of the time I wear Acronym , someone makes a comment on it. On this note, I feel like the "hype" and popularity is more market borne than industry borne as opposed to the free advertisement Adidas and other brands get by purchasing "influencers" on some Blue Ant shit. Acronym is "our" brand, I just hope their recent successes don't lead to unsustainable growth.

I do not know about how Acronym's popularity of late makes most of you feel but I think that it's great if their quality remains the same. I hope Errolson and Michaela get ¥$£ and the means to further innovate and design. The perception, at least with regard to the issues with the P23TS-S and the APMs, are that the production is stressed. Consequently, I'm sure there is some dissonance created by the price tag, expectations of quality, and the reality of the quality. Plus, most of this stuff may not look good with a regular ass wardrobe!

On that note, is there a term of art for goods/products that deliberately shift a companies' base up or down market?

The snob/veblen effect of Acronym is real: there is something to be said about the psychological value of Acronym remaining a cult brand and also its high price. The dystopian aesthetic is still avant garde and beautiful. I think it's because people like @originalprogram @1000deaths @bt4d @flipflop214 @edg.e make this shit look so great that it's garnering more attention (props by the way).

Identifying acronym as a Veblen good is really the end of it. If you wanted a gortex pro jacket you could find one for $400 or less. The appeal of a Veblen good is the exclusivity of it, with quality etc being a secondary concern (as evidenced by holes and tape coming off which really have no place happening on a luxury item) Edited by capnpyro

Re. price -- I actually like that it's priced in a way where you really have to evaluate the choices, even if you can afford it to begin with. Very very few people can just buy one of everything... and I know I certainly can't spend this money on things I'll only wear once or twice, and can't do it every season. That means that I really have to wait until I see a piece that I know I will wear heavily, and then wear it until it falls apart. Less disposable fashion and more considered purchases is good.

Plus, most of this stuff may not look good with a regular ass wardrobe!

Agreed on some of the shirts/pants... but the jackets look good with pretty much anything. :)

Identifying acronym as a Veblen good is really the end of it. If you wanted a gortex pro jacket you could find one for $400 or less. The appeal of a Veblen good is the exclusivity of it, with quality etc being a secondary concern (as evidenced by holes and tape coming off which really have no place happening on a luxury item)

Not to digress, or get into a discussion about fashion praxeology, but aren't they two different but related concepts: the velben and the snob effect. I was under the impression that a veblen effect is based on price and consequent high desirability where the snob effect is snob value based on exclusivity? 

Regardless, I think that certain Acronym enthusiasts are affected by both effects.  :D

Re. price -- I actually like that it's priced in a way where you really have to evaluate the choices, even if you can afford it to begin with. Very very few people can just buy one of everything... and I know I certainly can't spend this money on things I'll only wear once or twice, and can't do it every season. That means that I really have to wait until I see a piece that I know I will wear heavily, and then wear it until it falls apart. Less disposable fashion and more considered purchases is good.

Agreed on some of the shirts/pants... but the jackets look good with pretty much anything.  :)

We're still engaging the most conspicuous consumption. Ballin' ass outerwear.

Edited by CARLOOA

Am i the only guy neither get tracking number,nor get the parcel from ACR first drop(around 5 minutes later finished the payment after lunching)?

Send acr team mail and have none feedback :(

Meanwhile,my apm from acrnm was safe and sound and fast.

I only got tracking info last thing on Friday and purchased same time but also same experience with the Prestos so I wouldn't worry - you'll probably hear something soon.

I remember using the returns process last year and trying to email them to approve it but absolutely no reply so i just got bored and sent it all back (i think this actually fine according to the terms without prior approval)and they refunded promptly without any communication. The repairs thing is annoying me though as every so often I get hope that it will go ahead via some confirmation then they drop the ball again.

Maybe things are getting a bit big now and they need to expand their internal infrastructure...

Edited by RemarkableArmor

I think the WS is just a copy error. I think that the face fabric is going to affect the visible drape though. I'm not an expert at photogrammetry though.

Definitely a copy error. There are tonnes of them every season.

P10A- being described as having 7 pockets rather than 8 like it actually does. Stuff like that makes me not want to buy it (since the text makes me think there's no left-hand phone pocket). Luckily one of the photoshoots on another site cleared up that confusion.

Am i the only guy neither get tracking number,nor get the parcel from ACR first drop(around 5 minutes later finished the payment after lunching)?

Send acr team mail and have none feedback  :(

I only got tracking info last thing on Friday and purchased same time but also same experience with the Prestos so I wouldn't worry - you'll probably hear something soon.

I never got a tracking number/shipping notification for my APM order (I did get the invoice and order confirmation). About ten days later I got a refund and no communication.... Hopefully this isn't a pattern. 

Send acr team mail and have none feedback :(

Just gotta be patient it seems, I finally received a response this morning from my mishap I e-mailed them about 4 days ago.