Acronym.

Westbrook

A bit of a sad story from this past weekend...

I went out early one morning wearing my J47-GT, since it was threatening rain and bit cool. As the day went on it warmed up, so I took it off and slung it over my shoulder. We stopped at a patio for a beer and I draped my jacket over the back of my chair, as most people do. 

What I didn't realize is that I was sitting close to an unmarked door, and soon enough an employee comes flying out of the door, throwing it open hard and banging into the back of my chair. When I pulled my jacket off the chair to move out of the way I noticed that the impact of the door had left a small mark on the back, near the right shoulder blade area. It doesn't look like it goes all the way through, but it definitely left a mark on both the outside and inside of the goretex.

Needless to say I'm really bummed. I only got the jacket less than a month ago... I'm not opposed to normal wear and tear, but this isn't really from my own wear of the garment, just a stupid accident.

I'll live with it, but I'm not happy... 

If the ding turns into a small hole, is there anything I can do to repair it? A patch from the inside? A random pocket on the back? ;) 

If the ding turns into a small hole, is there anything I can do to repair it? A patch from the inside? A random pocket on the back? ;)

It's very common to patch gore-tex. Its primary purpose is for hard-wearing mountaineering/winter activities after all. Grab something like this to restore the functionality:

NAgnpv.jpg

Unfortunately there's almost no chance the repair will be invisible. Like it's been said, embrace the wabi-sabi. Although a pocket on the back would be interesting. Definitely not unheard of...

m2jdv3.jpg

(random google result, no idea who makes this)

Put some gear aid tape on it and roll with it. Give it some wabi-sabi.

"imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete"

Yep, that's my plan. Just have to get past the annoyance factor :) 

A bit of a sad story from this past weekend...

I would simply patch with a sturdy seamtape either from the inside or both. That depends on you. An accident happened to my j43 except mine is located on the elbow. Im hoping the degree of damage is not huge. If you need a strip let me know.

I love it, I would say it is my favorite piece from '16. Wears equally well over and under other stuff. I've worn it stand alone before and the material feels nice against the skin. I use it with the x-fast sleeves from Set-1 as a light jacket/windbreaker. It works well into some surprisingly warm and humid temperatures.

I'm considering grabbing an S16 still. I just keep trying to imagine the J25-WS as a teeshirt. I figured the material would feel a bit clammy against the skin. Something about that jacket frustrates me as I never experienced the breathable qualities as they were described.

In theory I love the idea of the tee. The shoulders look a bit weird in some of the shots though.

Regarding what you said: I did size up to an XL from my usual large as there is no give to the material and i wanted a baggier fit anyway. it allows excellent airflow in an already very breatheable jacket. It can be, but probably should not be treated as a shirt, it is still a jacket.

The shoulders ARE weird, they don't necessitate the need for that much articulation. I would honestly have preferred a more tradition or raglan cut to the sleeves.

Another criticism (tho minor): it really needs a pocket of some sort. I would have loved a holster or hem pocket just to stash keys/phone/etc. it doesn't need a pocket to roll into like the j25 as it very neatly rolls up into an army roll. :)

I'm considering grabbing an S16 still. I just keep trying to imagine the J25-WS as a teeshirt. I figured the material would feel a bit clammy against the skin. Something about that jacket frustrates me as I never experienced the breathable qualities as they were described.

In theory I love the idea of the tee. The shoulders look a bit weird in some of the shots though.

The J25 is interesting in that regard. It does feel a bit clammy against the skin if I'm not active (e.g. walking or standing); but it's my go-to jacket for colder/wetter runs or bike rides, and it breathes remarkably well in those conditions. I suppose it "requires" some air movement to experience the breathability, which lounging around in still air doesn't provide.