Acronym.

Westbrook

Team-E over here. live in NL - it gets kinda cold but not super cold in winter. P34-E were my go to pants last year and P30-E will be this year. prefer layering under a light pant personally (if it gets super cold). also suits the cycling life a little more (less sweaty... dries out after quicker after the inevitable rain). the beauty of choice, I guess...

From a military/mountaineering perspective Epic was always intended to be paired with a base layer in cold weather. It is almost entirely designed around being extremely fast to dry - they call it 'walk dry' in the mil, where after immersion or heavy rain the user needs to be able to continue doing whatever they were tasked to do and dry while doing it.

edit for grammar mistake

Edited by Inkinsurgent

-E is really great, especially in black clw compared with a black -DS.

Due to skin contact -DS has visible light grey marks on the waist, hand/cargo pockets entry areas, also grey spots constantly emerge on my diaper area between the legs, kinda the pants attract and absorb dust. I believe u'll see the same if examine your pair of black p30-ds. It's frustrating. I sold all my black -DS. No issue with -DS in RAF and Alpha, they r ok. Atm i prefer P30A-DS in alpha green over P30A-E alpha (they r less green irl). Both -E and colored -DS are easy to care.

-E in black is more dark grey than black, therefore, the details are clearly visible on -E than on a true black -DS. 

-E isn't so noisy. -WS (like on the J61, J47A etc) is a bit louder than -E irl. Loud -E is a gimmick. -E becomes quiet and soft over time.

-E fabric feels cheap. -DS, -CH, -S has more solid/luxury feel. But -E is the most durable.

-E is less stretchy than -DS, but there's no need of extra stretch for an ultra wide pants.

P.S. Weird but P30A-E in Navy and Alpha have a slightly different type (texture) of -E fabric, my straight out from the bag navy pair is already pretty soft and quite.

Also, my other pairs of P30A-E are well made, the quality is definitely better than on the pants from my previous post. QC is unstable. Same as for P30A-DS.

Edited by Yan90

At long last received my P10-E from mothersite. A little bit less claustrophobic than S, but not by much. Really hope they stretch a little in the long run, because the thighs look absolutely painted on right now. Waist is generous, biggest difference with S. I definitely need a belt at 185 cm / 96 kg. I have two still-in-their-original-box DS pairs that I will definitely not sell now that I've compared with E. But keeping both (sold most of my pairs in S.)

I think P24A-E, which I guess is now destined to be a SS22 item, might be a perfect use of this material, at least for me.  P10-E is probably a really great choice for people not attending the church of squats.

6 hours ago, hentaiyarou69 said:

Can anyone comment on the warmth of the J58-WS against the J68-PL?

i have the original climashield j58-ws and the j68-pl, they are pretty much the same thing regarding warmth. in action the insulation via elastic hem wins vs the speedlock.

while i find the j68 visually much more pleasing and interesting as standalone, i dont think it is a great midlayer:
- no shell connection
- the collar of your shell can feel pretty tight (2.2 haters spotlight on)
- if you get to a quadruple speedlock scenario with your shell, you are in for some annoying fiddling

9 hours ago, moneytalks said:

currently have these in E: P10A, P10, P30A, P38, P34
without a doubt the best material for acr pants if you're in the tropics

the only problem i've had with this is having had a few tiny drops of bleach unfortunately fall on the thigh area of my P10A, which immediately turned into tiny spots of clouded grey that could not be rubbed/cleaned off. however i fixed them with a fabric marker, no biggie

if you find yourself in cooler climate then it makes sense to go with DS, which is the only other fully synthetic material that acr pants come in

this is my acr profile atm: i rate e, and i'm still looking for a J68-S in black medium (holla @ me) 

Does E-material begin to drape better over time with extensive wear? I feel like the new crunchiness drapes awkwardly in drop crotch area on p30s.

4 hours ago, aru said:

i have the original climashield j58-ws and the j68-pl, they are pretty much the same thing regarding warmth. in action the insulation via elastic hem wins vs the speedlock.

while i find the j68 visually much more pleasing and interesting as standalone, i dont think it is a great midlayer:
- no shell connection
- the collar of your shell can feel pretty tight (2.2 haters spotlight on)
- if you get to a quadruple speedlock scenario with your shell, you are in for some annoying fiddling

agree with this 100% - my workaround is to wear the J68 under a J61-WS rather than one of the more close fitting GT pro shells, which I don't find I really need for snow anyway. 

13 hours ago, hentaiyarou69 said:

Can anyone comment on the warmth of the J58-WS against the J68-PL?

J58 fully zipped and cuffs buttoned is a bit warmer and holds warmth better than J68 even with the J68 fully zipped and hem cinched/cuffs zipped and strapped. the advantage with the 68 is being able to regulate temp with the zipped sleeve openings and hem adjustment, but you could never be fully "satisfied" with the warmth if using on its own.

9 hours ago, nathan_ said:

Really pulled up on me like that, huh... :(

Grab my pole, watch how I pull up, exercise :ph34r:

11 hours ago, hentaiyarou69 said:

On the topic of E material, I read in an outdoor forum that DS uses a proprietary coating that is difficult to reapply, and last for about 50 washes. What about E? 

E uses something called "silicone encapsulation". The idea is that the fibres are coated in a thin, permanent layer of silicone that prevents water absorption. It is supposed to be more durable than DWR but cannot be re-applied. In practice it does wear off in contact with things like cordura nylon or velcro. 

First time ordering from mother site

I just got the j58 from mother site and I don’t like how it fits and wanted to return.

Tried to send 2 emails to return but no feed back…..I’m living in HK, does anyone knows how to? Should I sent them back the jacket now without getting any feed back or should I wait?

Thank you in advance for answering my silly questions

Edited by alexzzz

7 hours ago, alexzzz said:

First time ordering from mother site

I just got the j58 from mother site and I don’t like how it fits and wanted to return.

Tried to send 2 emails to return but no feed back…..I’m living in HK, does anyone knows how to? Should I sent them back the jacket now without getting any feed back or should I wait?

Thank you in advance for answering my silly questions

This reminds me of a few years back I bought all 3 Lunar forces before realising I needed to size down. I emailed twice but never received the response regarding a return so I just sent them as it was clear what to do in the T&Cs and the refund money just appeared in my PayPal account shortly after I tracked the package arriving. So that approach at least used to work once … but I have sent a couple of things back since where they were very quick to reply so maybe mail them again and hang on a little unless your deadline is getting tight!

they are quick to reply when there are defects, like my sunglasses came with a clip on with a bent hook and they very helpfully (lol) got me to bring them to a optician to be bent back in shape ¯\__(ツ)__/¯, also for stuff like cancelled orders

i used to be able to get slings and tape for free(!) when requested but that was ages ago 

tl;dr: for returns u just return them 

Edited by moneytalks