Acronym.

Westbrook

25mm_adapter_tab.jpg.4a729bb295215f9eb897670602d481f0.jpg

Does anyone know what this separate pull tab is intended for?

Older 3A-MK* come with it as well, and their specsheets lists it as "_25mm adapter tab", but I can't figure out what it's good for. (also weird that the latest MKs don't come with it anymore)

Edited by eyesolation

40 minutes ago, eyesolation said:

Does anyone know what the this separate pull tab is intended for?

Older 3A-MK* come with it as well, and their specsheets lists it as "_25mm adapter tab", but I can't figure out what it's good for. (also weird that the latest MKs don't come with it anymore)

I believe it's to hook them on your belt. I think someone sent acrnm an email about it(sorry I forgot who!)

1 hour ago, eyesolation said:

Does anyone know what this separate pull tab is intended for?

could probably strap it to your messenger strap as well so that it hangs in the front for easy access

18 hours ago, piece keeper said:

I would argue it's more practical now with wireless earbuds. With wired, the wire would get caught on something and the buds would be ripped off the tape quite often for me. Wireless doesn't run that risk, and has no added weight from a wire to pull them off either, given that the magnets in them are not especially strong (intentionally so to protect the electronics in earbuds, before someone says they're so weak that they're useless).

Wireless earbuds have no safety net, if they fall off, they're plummeting to the ground. I definitely wouldn't trust forcelock to hold my earbuds in place when I'm walking around, and mine are pretty inexpensive. I'd imagine someone with more expensive, flagship ones would do so even less.

2 hours ago, beepy said:

Deep pockets are best acrnm feature.

Yes. I also find the flak pocket real useful for sunglasses. But if I owned an Acronym piece with sleeve anchor loops that would probably be my favourite feature though.

Edited by FelixRevolt

On 5/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, brainerd666 said:

Gravity pockets are essentially useless for their intended purpose

Interops is HIGHLY situational IMO

Forcelock is not very practical (if at all) in the day and age of wireless earbuds

You are actually one of the only people here who's opinion I value, so I want to talk about this really quick.

My biggest takeaway when i look at anything new from ACR is, "Why do I need/want this?/ What does this design accomplish that my other jackets/pants/bags can't?/ and Is it timeless?" These are the three most important questions to me when evaluating a new season. First question is easy to beat, any new ACR collection feels fresh and amazing, no argument there. BUT normally nothing gets past the second question...

And also, to expand on why I believe ACR is a "non-functioning functional" is because the end results of the systems/subsystems are only "alternatives" to other brands. Sure I can make my phone shoot out of my sleeve like assassin blades, but couldn't I also just take it out of my normal jacket pocket? Or, sure escape-zip looks super cool...but couldn't i just unzip my normal jacket zipper? If anything you'll have a faster execution using the normal jacket than trying to undo the gravity pocket buttons and not let your phone fly out of your hand, or by just unzipping your jacket versus needing to zip it off in an "alternative" way. And I can literally go through every system for you (forcelock, interops, jacketsling) and share similar opinions, but just ask yourself. Is the function actually something no other jacket can accomplish, and even more, is the experience/process actually fluent or that much faster?

My analogy. When I'm paying "Ferrari" pricing, I need Ferrari performance. Not someone swindling me a Nissan with fake Ferrari emblems.

CMIIW, In my opinion its more like buying an experience of using acronym rather than your average uniqlo or whatever brand that can really accommodate the necessary functions that a normal rain jacket or pants can.

You dont really need the extra acr funtions like the forcelock, grav pocks, etc as mentioned above.

It is not necessary, it really is not but some people found the features to be very useful so each piece resonates differently with every people.

Some use grav pockets to store their ski pass or train passes, some use their escape zip since it would be easier to unzip if one of your hands are dirty or occupied with something else.

Sometimes its just a matter of enjoying the designs that the designer meant for the item.

However, the design has to work on its own, regardless of how useless/useful it is to the user.

I myself have a background in architecture and i will always remember what my professor told me : “if there are no problems to solve in design, create your own problems to solve.”

So i think sometimes acronym does the latter.

Besides, acr wouldnt be as much fun and cool if these features do not exist right? :)

1 hour ago, kenwiryadi said:

I myself have a background in architecture and i will always remember what my professor told me : “if there are no problems to solve in design, create your own problems to solve.”

What absolute bullshit. This is why architects (esp. the academic kind) get so little respect in the actual, built / owned world.

All the most functional and most compelling acronym features lie in deep level revisions to conventional garment construction + patterncutting.

Deep pockets, KG fit block, mezzanine pockets, detached entry pockets, two-way pocket bags, parallel zippers @ CF closure, holster pockets, etc.

Flashy stuff like escape zip, magnetic tape, gravity pockets are largely whatever and more cumbersome than functional (btw, best application of escape zip is always on vehicular entry jackets lol)

1 hour ago, hooper said:

i just think this stuff looks cool

I agree with you, but I think some may feel guilty to admit it because ACR is expensive and half to justify their purchase with the different features rather than just its aesthetics. 

7 minutes ago, Appleseed said:

What absolute bullshit. This is why architects (esp. the academic kind) get so little respect in the actual, built / owned world.

Thats kinda false imo.

Its a tool to get creative, when you are stuck and cant think of designing something, then sometimes you gotta create your own problems to solve.

Or when you have a certain idea that you want to realize, a number of problems will surely arise when you are trying to solve your own design idea.

If this mindset aint here, then we would have monotonous output everywhere, especially in the fashion industry IMO.

Why should there be designers in the first place?

We wouldn’t have come to modern design if designers didnt think that the absence ornaments and decorative attributes of architecture could be aesthetically pleasing. (Which there is some more thinking than just the aesthetics)

Not that the old designs are bad, but there certainly are advancements in design with “this kind” of thinking.

Regarding getting respect, sure some gets their respect in forms of prestigious awards etc. For what? For their groundbreaking ideas of what architecture and designs could be.

Even chefs who create groundbreaking dishes gets their james beard or michelin award and all that shit.

1 hour ago, hooper said:

i just think this stuff looks cool

simple words but resonate, I am not sure what you guys thinking. but what are u expecting from a designer who stepped into fashion solely for the delusion that there are more girls in fashion than other creative industries? 

I treat the garments to satisfy myself or for the comfort OR you might say an extravagant display intended to attract a mate ("normal" ppl wouldn't know u paid $2k for a raincoat tho)

Edited by dreamboatjustsoul

5 hours ago, piece keeper said:

That's why you get kids that say it's over-priced.  

Genuinely curious, what are the profit margins on ACR pieces (AKA how much does Errolson *or whoever also has a stake in the company* take home per J1A-GTKP sold)? I've heard speculators say that it's around 200 to 300% but that would mean it costs them around 400-500 to make a J1A. Is that even possible given the number of details on the jacket? How about operating costs (like the website, which has extremely compressed images that look terrible lol), customer service (maybe just Ian and some intern at the CZ factory), studio costs (Berlin ain't cheap), and lastly designing costs (Umit, Ian, and Errolson salaries)? 

I'm not a business-side expert, so it would interesting if anybody here could help try to break down the ACR business model, thanks.

Edited by Orientalq
spelling of name

1 hour ago, Nebulae said:

All the most functional and most compelling acronym features lie in deep level revisions to conventional garment construction + patterncutting.

Deep pockets, KG fit block, mezzanine pockets, detached entry pockets, two-way pocket bags, parallel zippers @ CF closure, holster pockets, etc.

Flashy stuff like escape zip, magnetic tape, gravity pockets are largely whatever and more cumbersome than functional (btw, best application of escape zip is always on vehicular entry jackets lol)

Wearing my J36-S and feeling attacked

1 hour ago, kenwiryadi said:

Thats kinda false imo.

Its a tool to get creative, when you are stuck and cant think of designing something, then sometimes you gotta create your own problems to solve.

Or when you have a certain idea that you want to realize, a number of problems will surely arise when you are trying to solve your own design idea.

If this mindset aint here, then we would have monotonous output everywhere, especially in the fashion industry IMO.

Why should there be designers in the first place?

We wouldn’t have come to modern design if designers didnt think that the absence ornaments and decorative attributes of architecture could be aesthetically pleasing. (Which there is some more thinking than just the aesthetics)

Not that the old designs are bad, but there certainly are advancements in design with “this kind” of thinking.

Regarding getting respect, sure some gets their respect in forms of prestigious awards etc. For what? For their groundbreaking ideas of what architecture and designs could be.

Even chefs who create groundbreaking dishes gets their james beard or michelin award and all that shit.

Am guessing there's a bit of a language barrier happening here. Creating problems that don't exist (so that you can then 'solve' them) is not pragmatic creativity. Designing in a vacuum is just masturbation (tho of course there's value to be mined from that process).

But as you point out in your third line, there are always problems to solve (even if they're not sexy or fun).

Point being: contemporary architectural education loves to foster ego over practical skill, but that shit catches up and'll humble you real fast in professional practice. Academia lives on an island - we all know the saying about those who can 'do,' and those who 'can't do,' yes?

1 hour ago, piece keeper said:

"The pattern-making and articulation is what really sets ACR apart, but these are technical details that are largely "invisible" to the naked eye, and even more so to the consumer that has no idea about garment construction to begin with."

"I guarantee most people don't even understand half the words he used (ThatSlapz), let alone why changes to them make a garment better, worse, or different. The devil is in the details for any hobby--garments are no different."

I'll quote these two parts.

The pattern-making and articulation does NOT set acronym apart, there are actually many brands that execute exactly what ACR achieves. And almost all designs used by ACR are not original, they are inspired by past military/workwear garments which continue to inspire many other brands as well. So to say it "sets ACR apart" is naive. And also to say it's naked to the eye is obviously apparent, isn't that why we're all on this page in the first place? is because we share the same eye for technical attention that E does.

Something I didn't put in my first post, but you basically just highlighted it perfectly for me to touch on, is that the J1E has no new innovation(Hat excluded but...LOL). It's literally an update where E is attempting to just expand further on where the J1A design fails. And that being said, it's still the same pockets/zippers/systems maybe arranged in a more accessible and convenient way, but that somehow took almost 20 years to finally figure out? and oh also costs over $2,000...

My statement is this, I'll pay $600 for any recycled ACR piece any fucking day, new fabrics, new colors, new bags, the detail is unparalleled. E could literally start a membership service for $2,000 a year where i'm guaranteed a couple pieces and I would sign up immediately.  But with $1,000-$2,000 pricing, I want some new innovation, I really don't think that's too much to ask. I guess i'm just asking for more than the normal consumer.

2 hours ago, Nebulae said:

Second this.

The brand or the Acrnm client actually being providing well balanced mixture of military wear/sportswear/human dynamics/materials/modern menswear/workwear into a overall nice ready to wear seriously and yeah the down side are some puffy brand images (dang it’s sure expensive)and the owners’ social networking showing off of all those lovely gals, that also part of it.

For me the brand it’s still a style thing and it’s no DARPA at all right?

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

12 minutes ago, mariahscarry said:

I'll quote these two parts.

The pattern-making and articulation does NOT set acronym apart, there are actually many brands that execute exactly what ACR achieves. And almost all designs used by ACR are not original, they are inspired by past military/workwear garments which continue to inspire many other brands as well. So to say it "sets ACR apart" is naive. And also to say it's naked to the eye is obviously apparent, isn't that why we're all on this page in the first place? is because we share the same eye for technical attention that E does.

Something I didn't put in my first post, but you basically just highlighted it perfectly for me to touch on, is that the J1E has no new innovation(Hat excluded but...LOL). It's literally an update where E is attempting to just expand further on where the J1A design fails. And that being said, it's still the same pockets/zippers/systems maybe arranged in a more accessible and convenient way, but that somehow took almost 20 years to finally figure out? and oh also costs over $2,000...

Which brands do you feel also execute on what ACR achieves with pattern-making and articulation? Genuinely curious because these sound like brands I would be interested in.

Regarding the J1E, what you mention about updating every feature of the jacket was the point of the jacket.  If they were going to do something entirely different and "innovate," they wouldn't have used their very first jacket as a starting point.  The J1 was their idea of what Acronym should be when they started, and their commitment to it demonstrates they still believe it is.