Acronym.

Westbrook

9 hours ago, andrewlb said:

Quick J58-WS update. Just arrived today. Fits exactly like I was hoping (I'm medium, 32 waist, 40 chest, 182cm 80kg). I can layer thinner things under it and it was fine (thinner fleece, but not a chunky sweater for example). Walking around I didn't find it bunched as someone mentioned. The warmth is great, and the pockets are huge. I don't have the previous version as a reference though, so comparisons are limited.

My only hesitation is that the material feels quite delicate, including those in the pockets. I feel like that might give me pause at times (my philosophy is to wear things fairly hard, especially if they're expensive), but unsure what experience and perspective others might have with this material.

Anyway, overall I've never owned an insulator that I've really enjoyed wearing independently, and have struggled a bit to find one that blends in with other pieces when layered. This definitely feels like it will fill that gap, but let's see.

For it's weight and properties, the WS will hold up very well.  I treat/wear them the same as I would GT Pro.  The only WS item (of 9) I had issues with was the 46WS, which was a couple small holes due to the metal zipper.  A GT patch fixed the issue.  My J25WS which I have used heavily for five years  has held up great, minus the inside layer is beginning to deteriorate around the neck.  The other benefit of GT is the network of authorized repairers that will fix anything you wouldn't want to DIY. 

Edited by thatslapz

14 hours ago, thatslapz said:

For it's weight and properties, the WS will hold up very well.  I treat/wear them the same as I would GT Pro.  The only WS item (of 9) I had issues with was the 46WS, which was a couple small holes due to the metal zipper.  A GT patch fixed the issue.  My J25WS which I have used heavily for five years  has held up great, minus the inside layer is beginning to deteriorate around the neck.  The other benefit of GT is the network of authorized repairers that will fix anything you wouldn't want to DIY. 

Really appreciate this context. So basically, I shouldn’t stress wearing a messenger bag or backpack (though maybe not the sandpaper that is a goruck bag).

Can attest to the warmth of the 1.2. I’ve been wearing it all over NYC this past week, usually with just a short sleeve or long sleeve tee underneath, and it’s been more than enough for the 20-35° temps. Seems to breathe okay too, when transitioning from outdoors to subway cars, a simple unbuttoning of the cuffs and loosening of the zippers is enough to air out.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, andrewlb said:

Quick J58-WS update. Just arrived today. Fits exactly like I was hoping (I'm medium, 32 waist, 40 chest, 182cm 80kg). Walking around I didn't find it bunched as someone mentioned. The warmth is great, and the pockets are huge. I don't have the previous version as a reference though, so comparisons are limited.

My only hesitation is that the material feels quite delicate, including those in the pockets. I feel like that might give me pause at times (my philosophy is to wear things fairly hard, especially if they're expensive), but unsure what experience and perspective others might have with this material.

Anyway, overall I've never owned an insulator that I've really enjoyed wearing independently, and have struggled a bit to find one that blends in with other pieces when layered. This definitely feels like it will fill that gap, but let's see.

I will be wearing it tomorrow with the j1a or another soft shell myself. I will say that it does hug at the bottom snuggly, but not overly. The cuff snaps are better not tightened. I could wear it tightened, just not at my comfort level. The pockets do feel huge and feel similar to that, but not equivalent to the 78. I can feel what E was noting in the variation changes. As for the insulator heft independence, I will try it alone soon, but comparing between the 78 and this solo, I liked the 78 as an independent, when I had tried it(not as snug at the hem). With the hard wear thing, I'm in the same boat, if I bought it for personal use and its pricey, I'm going to wear it as its meant to.

1 hour ago, frenchbulldog said:

Can attest to the warmth of the 1.2. I’ve been wearing it all over NYC this past week, usually with just a short sleeve or long sleeve tee underneath, and it’s been more than enough for the 20-35° temps. Seems to breathe okay too, when transitioning from outdoors to subway cars, a simple unbuttoning of the cuffs and loosening of the zippers is enough to air out.

The 58 does feel like it doesn't leave too much to layer like a hoodie, but does leave enought for like a button down, flannel maybe, or tee, A sweater seems like overkill with this, but I'll update with experience.

Man, I hate the duties($230.41 NYC >:( ).

~Lefty

Edited by LeftyJeenyus

j78 has been my go to since getting it. it was very easy to wear standalone or with a hoody under no problem. fit is spot on and cuffs/hem are great. only issue for me was that it was only slightly too puffy to fit under some of my shells which made me look somewhat bulky.

11 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

j78 has been my go to since getting it. it was very easy to wear standalone or with a hoody under no problem. fit is spot on and cuffs/hem are great. only issue for me was that it was only slightly too puffy to fit under some of my shells which made me look somewhat bulky.

J78 would be perfect if the front pocket can be open from both side, like the interior pocket. It’s too much of a hassle to access the pocket wearing it under a shell when I am so used to the pocket on the j74 and j63a. 
Sometimes I feel like the j78 is only meant to be a stand alone jacket and not suppose to be worn under a shell. 

Edited by kriztopher

Been wearing the j58 for a couple of days and I’m pretty shocked at how warm it keeps me. I run cold so I’m that weirdo that wears a jacket in the office.  When I wear it outdoors (around 30 degrees) I wear a sweater underneath and don’t feel any cold on my torso.  My guess is it’s the primaloft working in conjunction with the ws but I’ve actually replaced my winter parka with the j58 since it keeps me warmer which I was not expecting. I’ve tried multiple synthetic insulator jackets like the arcteryx alpha IS and the fission SV but don’t remember it keeping me as coldproof as this. 

On 1/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, nodre said:

this issue is usually sorted by buying the correct size in the first place

I understand there's some contention in this thread with people who upsize when their size is sold out.

My question might've suggested that, hence my downvote and your upvotes.

I can't tell if you're being sanctimonious so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and explain myself:

I sized by my shoulder width which the jacket fits. Unfortunately I have short limbs and this is a problem I have with jackets, shirts, and pants—they're almost always too long and require altering. Also why I like the P30 and am wary of the P10.

And @brainerd666 you made an absolutely useless contribution with your downvote. Good luck with your life.

Edited by ray.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:44 AM, andrewlb said:

There we go.

1000000659_detail_213.jpg

I looked into these. $30 on the RZ website.  $150+ship+duties(15% made in china) on coevo.  I guess you could buy the RZ m1 neoprene and do a stencil+rattlecan job on the sides. E would probably be more proud as well with the DIY mindset.

~Lefty

6 hours ago, ray. said:

I understand there's some contention in this thread with people who upsize when their size is sold out.

I can't tell if you're being sanctimonious so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and explain myself:

I sized by my shoulder width which the jacket fits. Unfortunately I have short limbs and this is a problem I have with jackets, shirts, and pants—they're almost always too long and require altering. Also why I like the P30 and am wary of the P10.

And @brainerd666 you made an absolutely useless contribution with your downvote. Good luck with your life.

based on how this thread has been flooded with the wrong types of new "enthusiasts" in the past year, i will concede that i took you for a something of the sort. having said that, your problem is certainly not a common one and i apologize for the curt response. having unusual proportions sounds like a discouraging challenge. if i were you i would weigh my options and decide on size based on priorities:

does the smaller size restrict range of motion?

is the bunching of the fabric bad enough to warrant measures as "drastic" as alteration or sizing up?

i would look into jackets cut in your favor to at least find a better balance. J16 has very roomy shoulders and chest, might suit you better. also not that this is a reasonable suggestion (or new information to you) but buying without first trying on is forever working against you - especially with final sale policies on acr across the board barring the mothership. so perhaps with some guidance from this poised community you will become a more savvy/informed acr consumer leaving as little room for error as possible.

i recommend swallowing COD if you must have pieces and buy from mama with confidence and peace of mind with 14 days. 

Edited by nodre

@ray.  The jacket cut really does affect sizing a lot, and I have long arms and a fairly "regular" chest. I've had luck with the J32 and the J1A but jackets like the J44 (and because of that, I'm assuming J29, J38, etc) don't sit right with my proportions and it took me a good while to admit defeat and sell it. You're not alone when it comes to "weird" proportions and any time you have questions don't be afraid to ask. Most of the people here would rather help someone find out their sizing rather than listen to the complaining (not targeting you on this comment) that often follows. I've noticed a lot of Acronym jacket sleeves are fairly short so more info on your build would help. 

On 1/22/2020 at 3:31 AM, SNg said:

Make sure it's clean and wash it when it gets dirty. Here's a video that's been reposted before. If you haven't been washing it regularly, you might actually see some additional delamination after the wash.

Thanks, I've already reffered to the video but was hoping that there was I could do.

Time to wash!

3 minutes ago, solographik said:

The sheen and patina on the shirt makes me feel like it’s not DS. Have a pic of the tag?

Has a 3XDRY Schoeller tag in it. Sheen of the fabric makes the shirt look heavier patina'd (?) than it actually is. Also pretty sure the older DS was different from the current version they work with.

Edited by deadcrow

On 1/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, ray. said:

Hah! This from the herb that has to take the time to call me out on a niche Internet forum. LOLOLOLOL. Take your upvote and go back to clown town. 

Edited by brainerd666
Meh