Acronym.

Westbrook

21 minutes ago, jeddyhsu said:

@SuE Now's your chance to complain to E's face; he's currently addressing Made in China qualms on Twitter. 

I don't have an issue with 'Made in China' per se. My complaint is with the nature of the reveal for which I don't think there's a good excuse. If anyone wants to ask him why he wasn't upfront on Twitter then sure whynot but I'm past that

I think having to announce it up-front or reveal it would have further insinuated any negative connotations about Chinese mfg. It just isn't relevant. If manufacturing of a certain item moved from say, Portugal to France, I don't think people would be complaining about not knowing about it. Some people like myself will be affected differently by taxes, but whatever lol.

Chinese mfg is Acronym at its core. It throws industry trends and norms out the window. That "Made in China" tag will be a punch in the gut to anyone who was buying the clothes as status symbols. 

Did people already forget every J63A-FO had to be recalled for a mfg defect?

Edited by hooper

55 minutes ago, Kasper said:

About you FOH with your virtue signalling. There's a reason SuFu is a politics free space and it's worked pretty well so far. 

complaining that chinese people are now making your acr in addition to 99% of your other shit
sufu is a politics free space

do you not see the irony in this.. .

8 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

People getting upset over Chinese manufacturing when the goddamn designer is Chinese is all kinds of wonderful. 

I was today years old when I found nothing is made in Japan and the designer is not Japanese.

3 minutes ago, aosd said:

complaining that chinese people are now making your acr in addition to 99% of your other shit
sufu is a politics free space

do you not see the irony in this.. .

I was only responding to a post from drgitlin that made clear that:

• He is a progressive and
  • Everyone that doesn't agree with his progressive worldview is an idiot racist nazi scum 

Frankly, you can have a discussion about the manufacturing of garments without this crap. I really don't think loudly proclaiming you're part of the #resistance (or that you're all about MAGA) is going to bring any benefits to this conversation, it's just obnoxious. 

The part I was getting at is that Erlsn's created a lifestyle brand of progressive, forward thinking, high tech. China's known for cheap labor, human rights violations, and extremely poor working conditions. How does he reconcile that? With higher prices? His Twitter defense is disingenuous at best. If he just said we toured this factory and it's great, they have a break room and the workers are happy then cool. But he's just saying I'm Chinese, which is cool but bro you were born in Canada and live in Germany. I don't know, some sort of justification besides 'then don't buy it' is what I was looking for from him instead of just being ad hom defensive.

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

I was only responding to a post from drgitlin that made clear that:

• He is a progressive and
  • Everyone that doesn't agree with his progressive worldview is an idiot racist nazi scum 

Frankly, you can have a discussion about the manufacturing of garments without this crap. I really don't think loudly proclaiming you're part of the #resistance (or that you're all about MAGA) is going to bring any benefits to this conversation, it's just obnoxious. 

No one uses the term SJW in good faith. Why you're white-knighting that is beyond me, but you do you, buddy. 

19 minutes ago, shoreman said:

He's Canadian, no?

Edited by drgitlin

1 hour ago, capnpyro said:

The part I was getting at is that Erlsn's created a lifestyle brand of progressive, forward thinking, high tech. China's known for cheap labor, human rights violations, and extremely poor working conditions. How does he reconcile that? With higher prices? His Twitter defense is disingenuous at best. If he just said we toured this factory and it's great, they have a break room and the workers are happy then cool. But he's just saying I'm Chinese, which is cool but bro you were born in Canada and live in Germany. I don't know, some sort of justification besides 'then don't buy it' is what I was looking for from him instead of just being ad hom defensive.

There's nothing to justify. You don't know a single thing about the factory the products are being made in.

17 minutes ago, hooper said:

There's nothing to justify. You don't know a single thing about the factory the products are being made in.

Exactly, I think there could be legitimate concerns re: China's track record with the garment industry, but considering what Errolson tweets about, he's probably done his homework on the factory he's partnered with. Unless we learn to the contrary, give him the benefit of the doubt, and enjoy the fact that prices will go down a bit between fw18 and ss19/fw19.

1 hour ago, capnpyro said:

China's known for cheap labor, human rights violations, and extremely poor working conditions.

Saying a person or country is "known for" something is really, dangerously vague. It's the sort of language people use when they're trying to make strong accusations without wanting to go into detail. "______ is known for making rude comments at parties!" Which parties? Which comments? When? What are your sources? Or are you only repeated what others have told you?

The insidious thing is that, by saying "known for," you always have the option of retreating into "I was only saying that people talk that way! I'm not saying I think that way!"

The reality is that China is no longer the site of cheap labour that it once was. I've said this before—companies like Arc'teryx are moving much of their manufacturing out of China and into places that are less expensive. Fast fashion brands are way further along that process. No one does manufacturing better than China at this point, and I don't blame Errolson for moving some things there.

One could, in theory, allow Errolson's "virtue signalling" to inform one's interpretation of the move to china, rather than to contradict it. In other words, we could take Errolson's tweets about fashion ethics at face value and trust that he's applying those same ethical standards in China.

2 hours ago, capnpyro said:

You cant really say, theirs a lot of things you own or have owned that were made in China; you shouldn't single out the brand just because China! I am just surprised he or the label are not made in Japan, kinda of mind blown. I just got into Acrnm fyi

3 hours ago, drgitlin said:

America's known for inaccessible health care, human rights violations, and extremely poor working conditions. 

Whattaboutism!

3 hours ago, Xu Jianfeng said:

I somehow thinking this news worth checking in case it’s not quite known here.

https://www.ispo.com/en/companies/schedule-takeover-amer-sports-anta-sports-track

the title explains itself.

Yeah, that was last year right? Anta gonna pour R&D into Amer.

He can make his clothes wherever he wants because it’s his brand. And you can buy other brands which are made in eu because it’s your money.

And to those who think Acronym needs to inform the consumers of the change in advance, you know that you have the right to return the jacket, right?

Can we just leave it here now and come back to products?

A lot of tech wear brands including Japanese ones like Purple Label North Face & Nanamica have all their gore-tex fabrics made in Chinese factories.

The Chinese factories are faster and cheaper than Japanese ones. So that production schedules can be met and the cost kept to a realistic price point. 

There are good and bad factories in every country. I think we should be beyond labelling anything inferior or superior just because its made in a certain country. 

31 minutes ago, rogerhuangxj said:

He can make his clothes wherever he wants because it’s his brand. And you can buy other brands which are made in eu because it’s your money.

And to those who think Acronym needs to inform the consumers of the change in advance, you know that you have the right to return the jacket, right?

Can we just leave it here now and come back to products?

Total agree with you. We should stop here. Made in China doesn't mean its bad. As long as the design, execution, material is great, product is great. I see a lot of non sense racism here which should not be existing in 21st Century. Those who still think China is human right violation should think deeply again. At least Chinese people know they are being violated while a lot of western country people blindly trusting their fake news making governments, they think they know everything from the fake news but they were just fools who never left their lovely country or continent and got brain washed by their own government. I doubt there will be another government who could take care of 1.4 billion people that well. European countries with 10 times, 20 times less population are facing bankruptcy, begging money from the union. Maybe China is a '3rd world country', but at least everyone is hard working and making money of their own, not begging from their government or other countries. I think we need to help each other, not penalizing which country is good or bad. E should just put 'Made On Planet Earth' and stop these nonsense discussion forever.   

51 minutes ago, darkart said:

Total agree with you. We should stop here. Made in China doesn't mean its bad. As long as the design, execution, material is great, product is great. I see a lot of non sense racism here which should not be existing in 21st Century. Those who still think China is human right violation should think deeply again. At least Chinese people know they are being violated while a lot of western country people blindly trusting their fake news making governments, they think they know everything from the fake news but they were just fools who never left their lovely country or continent and got brain washed by their own government. I doubt there will be another government who could take care of 1.4 billion people that well. European countries with 10 times, 20 times less population are facing bankruptcy, begging money from the union. Maybe China is a '3rd world country', but at least everyone is hard working and making money of their own, not begging from their government or other countries. I think we need to help each other, not penalizing which country is good or bad. E should just put 'Made On Planet Earth' and stop these nonsense discussion forever.   

your comment sounds like one of those online course discussion forum that due on Sunday 11:59 PM and requires a minimum of 250 word count. LOL I agree with you too

Digging the differing viewpoints itt.

Making things in China is fine. Equating consumer surprise/concerns about local business practices with some sort of racial prejudice towards "the chinese people" is just LOL. 

8 hours ago, danii said:

Just sit back and enjoy the fact that you are actually able to buy the stuff because there will be higher quantities.

I think this is the big thing. People like myself who don't mind buying second-hand are probably going to have it way better over the next few years.

Edited by hooper
typo

I wouldn’t hold my breath on an influx of large runs of new product. There probably won’t be that much difference. “Made in China” can be a blanket term for low quality/labor conditions yea... but it’s safe to say you’re not getting Old Navy socks and a J1 made in the same factory. I’ve toured production factories in a number of countries, and whoever owns the factory matters 100% more than the country it’s in.