Acronym.

Westbrook

7 minutes ago, ArmandGLA said:

I was thinking perhaps sending it to an established company to have them done correctly. Problem is, if you dye pants to get the fade away, will it match a acronym jacket color for example. I hate have different tones of black on me.

10 minutes ago, Yardsale said:

I was wondering the same thing on these old veilance pants I have. Most people would suggest rit dye but is there something more advanced?

Wabi-sabi my friends.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:04 PM, SNg said:

Great write-up. Question though, how are you finding epic cotton in terms of weather resistance, color-fastness and overall durability? I've heard that it fades stupid quick and that it's subject to fraying/holes.

Asking as I'm somewhat hunting a J1A-S, J1A-E or J28-E, so it would be extremely useful and appreciated to hear more user thoughts about epic. 

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, mike.kanashi said:

Great write-up. Question though, how are you finding epic cotton in terms of weather resistance, color-fastness and overall durability? I've heard that it fades stupid quick and that it's subject to fraying/holes.

Asking as I'm somewhat hunting a J1A-S, J1A-E or J28-E, so it would be extremely useful and appreciated to hear more user thoughts about epic. 

Thanks in advance.

For a roughly 13 year old jacket, the epic jacket is only epic in name at this point when it comes to weather resistance. I wouldn't go out into anything more than a light shower. In its defense, I haven't gotten around to cleaning it properly but as it stands, it's about as waterproof as a lightweight cotton jacket. I think that's one reason why it's been able to stay dark. It's only started to fray at the cuffs and it's dark-medium grey around high wear areas like the underside of the button snap for the gravity pockets. There are some small holes here and there but it's mostly been localized to around the cuffs. It blocks wind fairly well but in colder weather I would definitely wear a fleece or some sort of insulator underneath. I think back in the day the "ergonomic" design was mostly just a more generous cut with some cool pattern shapes so you can layer a lot under the e-j1a.

That being said, it's a great jacket to wear pretty much any time when it isn't raining heavily. The softness of the epic cotton is nice and it dries fairly quickly in my experience. It actually drapes a little differently because of how soft the fabric is. My main design gripe with the e-j1a is the velcro along the front. It catches on the webbing on the 3a-1 strap and pretty much anything else. Even the webbing that you thread your earphone cables through - it's fuzzy because of the velcro. I think it was a great move on their part to move towards the snaps (which started in 08 for the j1a models I think). I would say that I'm partial to stotz because I like the texture a little more and I actually prefer the stiffness of it (even though I do like the softness of epic). Just a personal thing.

I would really love to see a j1a-s update with the newer cut and a decked out flak pocket like it is on the older j1a iterations. But I don't think they would because that inner zip is now an opening for your insulator's chest pocket.

5 hours ago, ArmandGLA said:

I was thinking perhaps sending it to an established company to have them done correctly. Problem is, if you dye pants to get the fade away, will it match a acronym jacket color for example. I hate have different tones of black on me.

Do you want it match a black Stotz jacket or GT shell? Cause they're different shades of black. My black Stotz & DS pants are darker than my black shells.

Hi guys, I am looking for a price check or an interest check on my S-J14.

It's from SS10 and a size large, unfortunately I do not have the bag or specsheet, and the jacket originally came with a 3A-SR1, which I do not have either.

Good condition overall, with a very small hole in one sleeve and a partially cut pull tab on one side. Probably a 7.5/10 considering age.

How much do you guys think I should put this up for on the sales thread? Thanks in advance.

Also I'm posting it here because it's quite an old item and not much info is available online.

Pictures here -> https://imgur.com/a/o6rFizh

@g.m start high and bring it down if it doesn't sell. older, worn, and less in-demand items like yours can still fetch at least $500 USD. 650 sounds like a good starting point.

edit: also, please post in the "community sales thread"

Edited by hooper

On 2/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, Kamikaze said:

Fuzzy how? I just remembered now that when I rolled up my p24a it was a bit fuzzy but I thought it might’ve been from wear. And are these fakes recent? I got mines about a year ago 

much obviously fuzzier than real DS

**edit** and yes i mean P24A-DS
when you turn up the hem it resembles fleece (but a VERY mild version is that makes sense)

stitching etc is actually DECENT, also no one will pay that close attention, i'd kick you in the eye if you came that close to my pants lol
pockets on the inside have a much brighter sheen than real ACR, and the size tag comes off the pockets after a few washes

how do i know all this? i bought a pair to bash around in on trips where i don't want to worry about my thousand dollar pants getting ruined, but still look steezy
having both the real ones and the taobao ones i would say:
1. water resistance is similar
2. taobao "DS" is actually slightly more windproof
3. taobao "DS" is warmer (i personally prefer the real thing because i live in the tropics)
4. taobao "DS" is stretchier and a little more durable
5. the ammo pockets with the pop buttons are super high quality construction on the authentic pair, the fake ones feel like they may fall off after a few uses
that said, a very decent pair of pants for 80 bucks

is it worth spending about 80 bucks on a pair just to see the style? YMMV i suppose

nothing beats wearing a real ACR

Edited by moneytalks

I had professionally dyed an EPIC jacket. The dye company does only 100% cotton and all it did was unify the fading but the jacket was not 100% dark black again. They dyed my nemen -C t-shirt too and the result was incredible rich black way better then the faded original (and better then the hair bleach accident texture). 

On 2/17/2019 at 5:28 AM, lopiteaux said:

What is the general feedback on the PX? How warm is the fabric, is it worth the price tag, and is it as fragile as it looks?

Also, what shoes are P23A-S owners pairing with? I have a pair in black, love the fit, but always find myself doubting my choice of shoe when I wear them.

I have both the J63-F0 and J74-PX in white that I've been wearing throughout winter, layering under a thick down. I find the J63 just slightly warmer than the J74. Both are equally stunning pieces personally. I find myself wearing the J63 more often because it is black, ages really well, and looks good when I wear the J65-AK over it. The J74 feels flimsy at first, but is really solid in construction and does not rip or tear at all. The FO fabric on the J63 is also flimsy and thin at first touch, but is really quite lasting.

9 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

I’m pretty convinced that this iteration of DS is one of the best materials out there for a pair of pants.

Couldn't agree with you more. I bought the same pair and have been wearing them constantly waiting for the eventual failure moment and nope, nothing yet. Best pants purchase I've ever made.

10 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

So, I’ve been wearing the latest drop of P10-DS hard. Like really hard. Almost daily since I bought them at the end of last summer. Looking at a close to six months of daily. I’ve worn them in a busy professional kitchen environment. I’ve worn them in the rain and snow and in-between. I’ve hiked in them, and drunkenly explored urban confines in them. I’ve crawled around in weird places in them. I’ve sat in my couch for hours in them playing the vid games. I’m pretty convinced that this iteration of DS is one of the best materials out there for a pair of pants. They are light and move with you/stretch, are ultra comfy and luxe feeling -but at the same time don’t feel flimsy, inconsequential or cheap/synthetic like some 4 way stretch material. I’ve been highly surprised by the durability- not found a single instance of fraying, abrasion or pilling. My S15-DS has minor pilling where my arms naturally brush against my trunk area. None of that on these. There’s been times when I’ve had an oh fuck moment where I thought they snagged in something or some shit but turned out to be nothing. Whereas it would’ve been an issue with other shit I’ve worn(presumably). The stain resistance, wind resistance and water beading is great. My only minor gripe is that they do tend to hold odors a bit more than the S or CH versions I own. I may notice that more so based on wearing them in a kitchen environment where some food smells are highly exaggerated both due to strength and frequency(I’ve worn the S and CH versions in the same environment without this issue or at least not to the same degree).

If they ever release an iteration of the SS-J25 in this material I’ll happily wade through a sea of razor blade brimmed MAGA snap back wearing aerosolized Ebola spewing yeezy clad mumble rappers festooned in Siberian razor wire coated with Supreme replicating nanites just to get that shit. And I’m not just saying all of this because they costed many of the dollaroos. Shit is güd fam. 

Hey. What the difference between old and new iteration of p10-ds from recent drop? Only the cf plastic button?

The last iteration of p10-s has a "new", thinner stotz fabric, olive (if RAF) ankle zippers, cf plastic button instead of metal snap, wider phone pocket. 

27 minutes ago, Yan90 said:

Hey. What the difference between old and new iteration of p10-ds from recent drop? Only the cf plastic button?

The last iteration of p10-s has a "new", thinner stotz fabric, olive (if RAF) ankle zippers, cf plastic button instead of metal snap, wider phone pocket. 

It’s my understanding from reading on here and talking to fellow members that the DS is more wear resistant, less likely to pill, and slightly ‘heavier’. I’ve not owned the previous iterations so can’t say for sure. I only own the S15-DS which is a thinner version of the old DS as far as I know. The face of the fabric on the new DS feels silkier and less coarse than the DS on the S15 IMO. 

6 hours ago, hentaiyarou69 said:

Is there any reason to prefer the J47A over the J47TS?

it really depends on the garment. normally i prefer newer goretex models out of the higher chance that the microgrid isnt prone to delam. Depending on age, nature of use, and care, those factors can result in a higher possibility of compromise to the fabric and/or seam tape but since the 47a came out 3-4 years ago, I don't think that will be as big of an issue as opposed to comparing it with a shell from say maybe 10 years ago since the gore tex pro fabric itself improved (i forget which year it increased a substantial amount of breathability). 

Edited by segue
typo