Acronym.

Westbrook

On 2018-11-08 at 12:42 PM, Bigyen said:

In doing research on this I found another forum with a guy who said he spoke to someone who worked for Gore-tex. The guy said he would deny it if ever confronted, but says there are certain people who's oils and sweat just don't mix well with Gore-Tex, and pieces are much quicker to delam. Thinking back, I've had Gore-Tex jackets for the past 20+ years and they all delam. Guessing it's time to move onto a new fabric.

If your body chemistry is tough on the polymers that are used to laminate the layers in Gore's fabric it's likely going to be a challenge to other laminated fabrics technologies as well. ETA proof or Ventile isn't laminated. Might be a good option. A fabric based on a monolithic membrane might function longer for you as body oils shouldn't be able to get through the membrane. That's just theoretical though. Sweat still could get into the backing fabric and might pull away. Regardless of the type of fabric of the shell, knowing you've not had good luck in the past, you'll want to ensure that you increase your cadence of washing and rinsing of your shells. I don't think anyone washes their technical shells nearly as often as what might be necessary to get body oils out. 

My view is that clothes are consumables. Care can help extend the life of a garment but won't preserve them forever. It sucks when it's an interesting piece starts to go, but better to have loved a piece to death than leave it stuck on a rack as a museum piece. It just kind of sucks that if a shell gains appreciable character overtime the performance declines as well. Boro style and a wabi sabi view seem to be a bit hard with synthetics and techwear. Might just be an attitude. Be interesting to see the newer ACR pieces with raw edges develop over time. Anyone have any interesting wear develop on those yet?

44 minutes ago, CB200 said:

My view is that clothes are consumables. Care can help extend the life of a garment but won't preserve them forever. It sucks when it's an interesting piece starts to go, but better to have loved a piece to death than leave it stuck on a rack as a museum piece. It just kind of sucks that if a shell gains appreciable character overtime the performance declines as well. Boro style and a wabi sabi view seem to be a bit hard with synthetics and techwear. Might just be an attitude. Be interesting to see the newer ACR pieces with raw edges develop over time. Anyone have any interesting wear develop on those yet?

Yeah, my take is that even though Gore-Tex might have better up-front abrasion resistance relative to Stotz, there are just fewer things that can go wrong with Stotz—plus, it's much easier to patch, and it fades much more gracefully than laminates. After a while Gore will also develop a bit of a stink that's hard to get out, which I've found is less the case with cotton.

3 hours ago, CB200 said:

If your body chemistry is tough on the polymers that are used to laminate the layers in Gore's fabric it's likely going to be a challenge to other laminated fabrics technologies as well. ETA proof or Ventile isn't laminated. Might be a good option. A fabric based on a monolithic membrane might function longer for you as body oils shouldn't be able to get through the membrane. That's just theoretical though. Sweat still could get into the backing fabric and might pull away. Regardless of the type of fabric of the shell, knowing you've not had good luck in the past, you'll want to ensure that you increase your cadence of washing and rinsing of your shells. I don't think anyone washes their technical shells nearly as often as what might be necessary to get body oils out. 

https://twitter.com/erlsn/status/1057415960355856385?s=21

2 hours ago, nathan wu said:

Did anyone buy 18aw Acronym in commissarystores? It's been 12 days and they haven't delivered the goods to me yet.

i did.... i got j47ts-gt from them... but hey take forever to get orders out 

even after  they told me " your order has been shipped" 

you need to send e-mail/ message via thier website

took 5 days for just ship it  and 3 days for delivered (CA to TN via USPS) to me

Edited by paper2k1

16 minutes ago, paper2k1 said:

i did.... i got j47ts-gt from them... but hey take forever to get orders out 

even after  they told me " your order has been shipped" 

you need to send e-mail/ message via thier website

took 5 days for just ship it  and 3 days for delivered (CA to TN via USPS) to me

I also bought a j47ts-gt. I have sent several emails to them, but I have not received any reply yet. Anyway, thanks bro (hopefully they won't cancel my order like Acr website)

12 minutes ago, deathrazr said:

he should've used cobra buckles instead. looks like E just found some extra leftover material and extra D rings laying around the office and decided to cook us something special and slap us with a 100 euro price tag.

That belt was originally included in SET 3. I've actually wanted one for aaaaages, and I'm really not happy that I missed this because I was (literally) sleeping. I guess I'll have to cop from a reseller...

On another note, anyone know how well an MP2TS fits into either of the 3A-1 mezzanine pockets?

33 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

That belt was originally included in SET 3. I've actually wanted one for aaaaages, and I'm really not happy that I missed this because I was (literally) sleeping. I guess I'll have to cop from a reseller...

On another note, anyone know how well an MP2TS fits into either of the 3A-1 mezzanine pockets?

It fits in the MK1 mezz pocket.  It's a very useful combination.

4 minutes ago, lopiteaux said:

100% with you on this one.

If someone can point me to a similar belt (or someone who can make one for me—it can't be that hard) I'd be appreciative. it's hard to find a nice, simple belt—especially one that won't set off a metal detector.

On a different note, I grabbed what might have been the MP2TS. Can't wait to get a cancelation email.

3 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

...especially one that won't set off a metal detector...

Can't wait to get a cancelation email.

Oh snap, I didn't think of that........

Regarding the cancellation - I received my shipment notification 5mins after the payment receipt, so it seems like they're on it today. Fingers crossed that no one gets any cancellations!!!!

8 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

If someone can point me to a similar belt (or someone who can make one for me—it can't be that hard) I'd be appreciative. it's hard to find a nice, simple belt—especially one that won't set off a metal detector.

On a different note, I grabbed what might have been the MP2TS. Can't wait to get a cancelation email.

https://www.dsptch.com/products/v-buckle-belt

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/conveyor-belt

https://www.idolbrooklyn.com/collections/mountain-research/products/black-gerrys-web-belt?variant=13588183679066

2 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/conveyor-belt