Acronym.

Westbrook

12 hours ago, X.bee said:

Does anyone here besides Xu own the J73-WS? Wondering if I could see some fit pics on different body types and style of wear.

7 hours ago, lopiteaux said:

I owned it briefly, but ended up returning it. Really beautiful cut, extremely lightweight, but putting anything in the pockets (even a wallet) distorts the profile, esp. in the left-hand mesh pocket.

I might be wrong - one man's opinion - but it felt like a beautiful piece that didn't quite stick the landing on function. For what it's worth, I was still tempted to keep it.

I just picked one up and I love it.  The perfect SS jacket for comfort against light breezes.  It's WS so it's negligible weight to carry around all day, and stuffs down really small into a bag if that's your jam.  Contrary to @lopiteaux, I think the pockets are the hallmark of this piece. 

It's a bit hard to describe, but they are semi-detached from the jacket body (not just detached-entry, but detached pocket).  If you have a 3A-1 or anything else with a MZ pocket, imagine that the chest pockets have upside down MZ pockets, so if you stuck your hand from the bottom under the pocket you'd find dead open space between the pocket and the jacket body.  What this accomplishes is that when you do put something in the pockets it weighs the pocket down independently from the jacket.  Now that doesn't mean it's weightless and unnoticeable--it's still WS so any weight you add to it will be felt--but it significantly reduces the sag on the garment itself compared to if the pockets were "normal" pockets that are directly sewn onto the garment.  I tested this with different items and felt like this helped the jacket retain the profile when you have asymmetric loads--I didn't feel like it distorted the profile at all.

I'll try to take some crappy phone pics later today.

1 hour ago, piece keeper said:

I just picked one up and I love it.  The perfect SS jacket for comfort against light breezes.  It's WS so it's negligible weight to carry around all day, and stuffs down really small into a bag if that's your jam.  Contrary to @lopiteaux, I think the pockets are the hallmark of this piece. 

It's a bit hard to describe, but they are semi-detached from the jacket body (not just detached-entry, but detached pocket).  If you have a 3A-1 or anything else with a MZ pocket, imagine that the chest pockets have upside down MZ pockets, so if you stuck your hand from the bottom under the pocket you'd find dead open space between the pocket and the jacket body.  What this accomplishes is that when you do put something in the pockets it weighs the pocket down independently from the jacket.  Now that doesn't mean it's weightless and unnoticeable--it's still WS so any weight you add to it will be felt--but it significantly reduces the sag on the garment itself compared to if the pockets were "normal" pockets that are directly sewn onto the garment.  I tested this with different items and felt like this helped the jacket retain the profile when you have asymmetric loads--I didn't feel like it distorted the profile at all.

I'll try to take some crappy phone pics later today.

Wow, I didn't even notice that aspect of the configuration...

Just to clarify, what I meant by "distorts the profile" is that the pockets seemed to me to billow out if anything is put in them, rather than retain a rigid shape. I felt like this might get in the way, and be a bit clumsy, and personally prefer a more rigid structure, with smaller, dedicated pockets rather than a large, central pocket.

Really looking forward to your pics. If I may be so bold, could you take some that showcase the usage of the pockets?

Edited by lopiteaux
Do I get a quadruple word score for using "pockets" four times?

Thanks for pointing that out @piece keeper I can't believe I didn't think that with other items I have w detached pockets ex: SISP moleskin cargos. Initially I thought it was more for looks but that makes perfect sense. It does help to alleviate the feeling of extra weight. Assuming this is the same for the J63a pockets as well but can't verify as my aux zip is currently getting rearranged....hopefully.

Question about some of Acronym’s more “open” pockets:

Both the J28 and the J56 have these ziperless pockets on the chest, positioned behind zippered or flapped pockets (in the case of the J28 these are like the 3a-1’s mezzanine pockets, I’m assuming). Do these pockets are fill with water in rain? Are there drain holes like with the 3a-1?

1 minute ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Both the J28 and the J56 have these ziperless pockets on the chest, positioned behind zippered or flapped pockets (in the case of the J28 these are like the 3a-1’s mezzanine pockets, I’m assuming). Do these pockets are fill with water in rain? Are there drain holes like with the 3a-1?

The J28's vertical mezzanine pockets have a small opening, roughly 6mm, on the bottom right hand side. So, similar to the 3A-1.

Also worth adding that I've used mine in torrential rains, yet never experienced wetness in either of the mezzanines.

28 minutes ago, rogerhuangxj said:

Love the all the pics and reviews, would like to know the possibility to wear J73 as a liner.

Since it has no insulation I doubt I can survive the winter wearing J73 under shell.

J73 is a shell since it lacks insulation. You've answered your own question.

Edited by CARLOOA

28 minutes ago, rogerhuangxj said:

Love the all the pics and reviews, would like to know the possibility to wear J73 as a liner.

Since it has no insulation I doubt I can survive the winter wearing J73 under shell.

It's incredibly thin, so won't really add much in terms of warmth.

15 minutes ago, chunglove said:

Give him a break bro. This brand ain't exactly known to attract college graduates.

How’s that shitcoin startup coming along there cookiepuss?

5 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

the small top mezzanine pocket on the j28 have no drain holes so technically it can build up water if you stand out in the rain for a long period of time. As for the larger pocket underneath, I usually put my phone in the mz pocket for easier access but in the rain i will stuff it inside the flap pockets. Can't confirm right now if the larger mz pocket has a drain hole or not.

Has anyone noticed the pants have different sizing from earlier seasons e.g. pre-2016?

I own an older P17-S and it is a sz L.  In the waist measurement, it is actually the same as a 2018 P23A-DS sz M.  I do not think the difference is because of the materials... 

For the P17/P23 styles (extreme large waist), I suppose it wouldn't matter much, but I believe the same "difference" exist in other pants like P10/P24.  

Can Anyone verify?  It is especially useful to know when we order "over internet" as sometimes we just order by the same size of an older item, thinking it would fit the same...

(Non-ACR references: Nike ACG line in recent years, the pants have gone a size larger than before.  Similarly Supreme gears)

Edited by monkeyboy

11 minutes ago, deathrazr said:

the small top mezzanine pocket on the j28 have no drain holes so technically it can build up water if you stand out in the rain for a long period of time. As for the larger pocket underneath, I usually put my phone in the mz pocket for easier access but in the rain i will stuff it inside the flap pockets. Can't confirm right now if the larger mz pocket has a drain hole or not.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by lopiteaux
Added photo of drain holes on larger mezzanine.

Delamintaion Update

Nothing back from ACR proper. The boss tweeted back and said the fix would be a tedious job of cutting out the delamination and applying seem tape. I'm thinking about grabbing some Gear Aid Gore-tex patches, cutting out the delamination and applying them to the inside of the jacket, and then seam taping off the edges of the patches. I know these patches are meant to go on the outside of a shell, but it seems easier to apply 4x6" patches instead of small strips of seem tape.

Thoughts?

24 minutes ago, monkeyboy said:

Has anyone noticed the pants have different sizing from earlier seasons e.g. pre-2016?

I own an older P17-S and it is a sz L.  In the waist measurement, it is actually the same as a 2018 P23A-DS sz M.  I do not think the difference is because of the materials... 

For the P17/P23 styles (extreme large waist), I suppose it wouldn't matter much, but I believe the same "difference" exist in other pants like P10/P24.  

Can Anyone verify?  It is especially useful to know when we order "over internet" as sometimes we just order by the same size of an older item, thinking it would fit the same...

(Non-ACR references: Nike ACG line in recent years, the pants have gone a size larger than before.  Similarly Supreme gears)

Well, they're different pants so I'm not surprised they are different measurements.  There may be slight differences in the same model year over year, but something as significant as a change in the sizing should mean a different Generation tag (i.e 1 vs 1.1 etc).  

P10 top block was definitely tightened up between earlier and later versions. This has been discussed (not sure if it resulted in a Gen. iteration on the official ACR product listing - and you'd probably have to dig to find original measurement listings), but IMO wasn't significant enough to 'size-up'. Eliminated the baggy seat, etc.

Haven't heard of sim. modification to the P24...but no other pant has been issued as many times as the P10, so-

7 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

hardly use these pockets in raining days tho, but the J28 does have two drain holes. 

btw, how to create hidden photo contents?

IMG_0707.HEIC

IMG_0708.HEIC

Edited by dreamboatjustsoul

21 hours ago, Bigyen said:

Delamintaion Update

Nothing back from ACR proper. The boss tweeted back and said the fix would be a tedious job of cutting out the delamination and applying seem tape. I'm thinking about grabbing some Gear Aid Gore-tex patches, cutting out the delamination and applying them to the inside of the jacket, and then seam taping off the edges of the patches. I know these patches are meant to go on the outside of a shell, but it seems easier to apply 4x6" patches instead of small strips of seem tape.

Thoughts?

Alternatively, you can also send it to http://rainypass.com/repair-services/ for repairs. Though it'll probably be more noticeable than patching the interior with a patch since it seems like they might cut out the affected area.

21 hours ago, Bigyen said:

Delamintaion Update

Thoughts?

Personally, unless you are extremely confident in your DIY abilities, I would keep trying the Acronym for a repair or go through an authorized repairer as mentioned.  These will be the most expensive and take the longest, but it will probably be worth the extra effort at the end of the day.  

22 hours ago, Bigyen said:

Delamintaion Update

Thoughts?

The issue is oil contamination... I'd ensure that as much of that is removed from the jacket as possible before anything. Next is to determine if the delam is only on the inside of the jacket or if the oil has helped breakdown the laminate between the face and the membrane. Gently pinch the face fabric on the opposite side. If it's only on the inside it is possible to use a spray on adhesive or other glues to get the backer to stick to the membrane again. The adhesives will need to be able to flow through the backing fabric so it will stick. Gear-aid is a pressure sensitive and would likely only stick to the backer that's already pulled away. If the face is leaking you'd get a little wet pocket that could help delam the spot more as it may not dry well.

Pulling the back panel out and rebuilding the jacket would be the best, but check the other areas of sweat and oil buildup ie: underarms to see if that might be an issue as well. Not sure who would take on the job of a rebuild other than rainy pass and the factory who built the piece in the first place not going to be many options. 

On 11/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, piece keeper said:

What this accomplishes is that when you do put something in the pockets it weighs the pocket down independently from the jacket.  Now that doesn't mean it's weightless and unnoticeable--it's still WS so any weight you add to it will be felt--but it significantly reduces the sag on the garment itself compared to if the pockets were "normal" pockets that are directly sewn onto the garment.

Thanks for the pics & detailed info. Now that I think about it, the only other WS I owned was the J61 & never used the pockets because the weight of items would pull down around the shoulders & chest. I'm going to try sizing up on this & hope I am able to fit atleast a thin hoodie underneath.

Thank you guys for your responses.

It's pretty bad: along the whole length of the shoulders, at both arm creases and both wrists.

Rainy pass flat out said no. I'll keep trying ACR.

In doing research on this I found another forum with a guy who said he spoke to someone who worked for Gore-tex. The guy said he would deny it if ever confronted, but says there are certain people who's oils and sweat just don't mix well with Gore-Tex, and pieces are much quicker to delam. Thinking back, I've had Gore-Tex jackets for the past 20+ years and they all delam. Guessing it's time to move onto a new fabric.