Acronym.

Westbrook

9 hours ago, danii said:

can't wait to see kids confused after buying NG9 thinking they will get the NG3 face cover

NG3 looks dope and all but honestly, i never really zipped it up (only for IG photos).. even when i took it out snowboarding.  I always had it unzipped.  Glad E made it a functional neck warmer.

37 minutes ago, rogerhuangxj said:

Personally still prefer the original collar though.

Besides the fabric of new j1a-gt seems a bit different in the photo, maybe just lightning?

Agreed. That new collar rubs me in the wrong way for some reason, and its almost reminiscent of a regular coach jacket but with the J1 front pockets

1 hour ago, dranoelsy said:

did some digging on polartec alpha and came across this mountaineering blog that does rigorous testing and goes deep on development info

apparently it comes in more than one type of insulation depending on end use and is sandwiched between outer and inner fabric

(clockwise) 60g, 80g, 100g, 120g

polartec alpha japan

from the looks of it, j74 uses either 80g or 100g

The linerless iterations are what give people pause because of the looseness of the weave. I don't see any issue with it really unless it snags. Just wear no zips under it.

A lot of the info is quite intuitive. Polartec Alpha's qualities come from it's high loft and air permeability. The insulation as a result of high loft results in high warmth. The air permeability facilitates breathability and wicking. When it's sandwiched between two non-air permeable fabrics it loses that inherent permeability and acts like any other piece of synthetic insulation. Another thing is that it's woven and fleece like so it doesn't have the bunching issues like primaloft or down. 

Let's keep it 100. Y'all ain't doing mountaineering or active shit in your acronym though. I gym climb in a J55-MP on occasion and it works for a softshell. I wouldn't do any hard physical activity in my shit though.

Edited by CARLOOA

5 hours ago, strikethrough said:

Thanks. My only option might end-up being going with a p23 variant that has belt-loops, which is a shame because my preference would be the P23A-DS

Go with an L man, I'm 6,1 and wear M 23ts low on my hips and i can just get away with it. I found for me that because i wear them on hips when i had a large the booty ballooned due to the extra material. 6,4 that extra height should comp for that. Also yeah can't ever size for waist just gotta wear a belt lol. 

@Dolphinski

This is easily the BEST fit least 2018 to me.

aint insist acrnm wearer should anyhow follow typical stereotypes but the mountain Wanderer would be some of my personal favorites.

Back in old days, more specifically in Japan, Acrnm items were sale at a pro outdoor site(not the digital mountain though)

The ss-j7c shares same dna and platform with Tilak, as well as some old models like J20 or so. I recently wearing it by biking in a casual way makes me quite happy with it.

Oh,not mentioned Vollebak, the brothers talked to me how much they love softshell expecially from schoeller, and they did bring to their products :)

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

16 hours ago, strikethrough said:

Anyone here been to Haven on drop day to check out new stuff live and in person? Is it worth it or does it sell out so fast online that they don't even put it out on the floor? I wouldnt mind going down just to size some pieces up (still trying to figure out if im more of an M or L in P23s in general).

Haven won't be doing an in store release for Acronym. You can ask the guys in the shop to try stuff on, but it will likely already be gone. 

Edited by chillwaveplaylist

Would anyone have any insight on how much traffic would haven get on their website, how well does their website handles this kind of release? Would it be really hard to purchase on haven? Gonna be my first attempt to purchase, would be great to have an idea of what it would be like thanks!

On 10/14/2018 at 7:31 PM, upheavel said:

If you people buying ACR really cared about durability/usability that much they would be purchasing arc'teryx that has a lifetime warranty. 

Plenty of us wear Veilance too. 

On 10/15/2018 at 10:28 AM, CARLOOA said:

I think the new stuff is more akin to technical demonstration marrying high performance fabrics with our beloved Acronym aesthetic. Ferraris aren't daily drivers, nah mean?!

I hate to actually but actually these days they come with seven years free servicing and you could certainly daily drive a California/Portofino or an FF/GTC4 Lusso (and some people do!). 

Since this is the Acronym thread, here's a piece about the Berlin Roborace that Errolson took part in earlier this year: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/10/roborace-wants-the-future-of-racing-to-be-ai-plus-humans-working-together/

57 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

Plenty of us wear Veilance too. 

I was talking about the main line not Veilance. The same idea applies to Veilance as well, people are buying it for the brand and the way it looks not because of its durability. You could pay 3x less and just get a Beta and it would last just as long as a Veilance shell. The same is true when my wife tries to tell me Channel and LV has "better" leather than Longchamp or Coach. Sure, the quality is slightly better but she is buying Channel and LV because of the brand and the way it looks, not because of the durability and how many pockets it has. 

1 hour ago, upheavel said:

I was talking about the main line not Veilance. The same idea applies to Veilance as well, people are buying it for the brand and the way it looks not because of its durability. You could pay 3x less and just get a Beta and it would last just as long as a Veilance shell. The same is true when my wife tries to tell me Channel and LV has "better" leather than Longchamp or Coach. Sure, the quality is slightly better but she is buying Channel and LV because of the brand and the way it looks, not because of the durability and how many pockets it has. 

Horse dead or not, just wanted to weigh in here.

Veilance is, if anything, less durable than mainline. Veilance actually uses older materials, like Tricot-backed Gore-Tex instead of Gore-Tex Pro, or regular old Coreloft over Coreloft Continuous. On top of that, you're not getting anywhere near the same level of articulation, the face fabrics are often less durable (and in some cases less efficient at shedding water, like with the Monitor Down TW from this most recent season). All of this is, I'm sure, justified by saying that these are pieces made for the city, and not for high-output activities... but it's still pretty lame that you're paying twice as much for something that's actually less versatile than a black Beta AR.

Edited by junkie_dolphin

19 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Horse dead or not, just wanted to weigh in here.

Veilance is, if anything, less durable than mainline. Veilance actually uses older materials, like Tricot-backed Gore-Tex instead of Gore-Tex Pro, or regular old Coreloft over Coreloft Continuous. On top of that, you're not getting anywhere near the same level of articulation, the face fabrics are often less durable (and in some cases less efficient at shedding water, like with the Monitor Down TW from this most recent season). All of this is, I'm sure, justified by saying that these are pieces made for the city, and not for high-output activities... but it's still pretty lame that you're paying twice as much for something that's actually less versatile than a black Beta AR.

Yeah, this is my experience too.  I had a pair of Voronois years back that ripped in the crotch after <6 months of wear in an office setting.  I requested a warranty replacement and they denied it at first, stating that AV is "more experimental" so their warranty actually doesn't cover as much for AV as it does with the mainline because they expect a degree of failure given its experimental nature.  Took several weeks of back and forth and escalation for them to finally give me store credit.  I think they've gotten better since then, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

3 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Yeah, this is my experience too.  I had a pair of Voronois years back that ripped in the crotch after <6 months of wear in an office setting.  I requested a warranty replacement and they denied it at first, stating that AV is "more experimental" so their warranty actually doesn't cover as much for AV as it does with the mainline because they expect a degree of failure given its experimental nature.  Took several weeks of back and forth and escalation for them to finally give me store credit.  I think they've gotten better since then, but that left a bad taste in my mouth.

My guy, those pants are a thorn in their side, I assure you. Serious problems with that design in general. No idea why it's still being made.

That being said, in recent years they've tried to rein Veilance in a little bit. The designs these days are much more conservative. It's sad, in a way, because Arc'teryx should really have a "mad scientist" wing of their design studio. We're talking about some of the absolute best design and technology in the world of technical garments, and it seems like a waste to box that in. I'd love to see a "NikeLab" collaboration-style thing from Arc...