Acronym.

Westbrook

Question... I use my J46U-WS on a regular basis, and am in love with the finish and feel of the 2L Gore Windstopper.

I've been looking for a shorter alternative for the warmer months, and have tried the J47A-WS and J73-WS, but I'm not a fan of the Active Shell, which (personally) feels very flimsy in comparison. A shame, as the fabric looks so, so good on the product shoots.

I also tried the J28-K, but again, not a fan of the fabric.

Any advice, aside from the J58-WS, which I've been looking for for ages? Should I be looking at the 2.5L or Paclite, or is there a piece that I'm unaware of?

Edited by lopiteaux

2 hours ago, lopiteaux said:

Question... I use my J46U-WS on a regular basis, and am in love with the finish and feel of the 2L Gore Windstopper.

I've been looking for a shorter alternative for the warmer months, and have tried the J47A-WS and J73-WS, but I'm not a fan of the Active Shell, which (personally) feels very flimsy in comparison. A shame, as the fabric looks so, so good on the product shoots.

I also tried the J28-K, but again, not a fan of the fabric.

Any advice, aside from the J58-WS, which I've been looking for for ages? Should I be looking at the 2.5L or Paclite, or is there a piece that I'm unaware of?

58 is insulated so definitely do not recommend for warmer months.  I've never handled a 46u-ws in hand, and did not realize the 46u used a different material than the 47a.  Older J25-WS and 29B-WS/LA3-WS used a more matte WS, that might be more like the 46u-WS.  I've worn my J22 and J69 in warmer weather too, if you would consider GT Pro.  GT PB is also supposed to be good for a wide ranger of temps, but I haven't handled it in person either.   

DS-LA6 variants, and DS in general, will be more substantial than windstopper, but I've found it decent in warmer weather because of the breathability.  The J40 in CH or Stotz will be a little heavier as well but are great short jackets. I think the Paclite used in the 2012-2015 seasons would be too heavy for warm weather, can't comment on the newer one used in the j1agtpl.  I'm a big fan of the J43-K material as well, but it might be too similiar to the 28-k for you.  Epic cotton is also on the lighter side, but it is harder to find these in decent condition.

41 minutes ago, thatslapz said:

Thanks for this, really appreciate the effort.

The J46U-WS is a blend of 78% PES, 22% ePTFE versus the J73-WS' 53% PA, 47% ePTFE. The former has a smooth, matte appearance and is soft to the touch; whereas the latter has a fine line/grid appearance, and is rougher to the touch. I believe the latter is the WINDSTOPPER Active Shell, whereas the former is purely WINDSTOPPER.

When it was released the J47A-WS' fabric appeared similar, if not "wetter" on the product shots. I was under the impression that the fabric would be halfway inbetween the J46U-WS' and the -PB, but a lot "drier" in the end.

PS. I've been using the 69 myself over the London summer. What a fantastic piece.

Edited by lopiteaux

2 hours ago, lopiteaux said:

Forgot to add - great shout on the J40-CH. Let the hunt begin...

join the club the j40-ch is like an urban myth now, i have never seen one pop up for the past year and every time i think abt one i get a lil pop up in my stotz pants

Edited by Toilettebun

7 hours ago, lopiteaux said:

Thanks for this, really appreciate the effort.

The J46U-WS is a blend of 78% PES, 22% ePTFE versus the J73-WS' 53% PA, 47% ePTFE. The former has a smooth, matte appearance and is soft to the touch; whereas the latter has a fine line/grid appearance, and is rougher to the touch. I believe the latter is the WINDSTOPPER Active Shell, whereas the former is purely WINDSTOPPER.

When it was released the J47A-WS' fabric appeared similar, if not "wetter" on the product shots. I was under the impression that the fabric would be halfway inbetween the J46U-WS' and the -PB, but a lot "drier" in the end.

PS. I've been using the 69 myself over the London summer. What a fantastic piece.

People are sleeping on the J69. IMO, it's the highlight of the whole season, especially for new pieces.

I also noticed acrnm.com seems to have changed the typeface used on the site...

Edited by RapGameTaylorSwift

8 hours ago, thatslapz said:

58 is insulated so definitely do not recommend for warmer months.  I've never handled a 46u-ws in hand, and did not realize the 46u used a different material than the 47a.  Older J25-WS and 29B-WS/LA3-WS used a more matte WS, that might be more like the 46u-WS.  I've worn my J22 and J69 in warmer weather too, if you would consider GT Pro.  GT PB is also supposed to be good for a wide ranger of temps, but I haven't handled it in person either.   

DS-LA6 variants, and DS in general, will be more substantial than windstopper, but I've found it decent in warmer weather because of the breathability.  The J40 in CH or Stotz will be a little heavier as well but are great short jackets. I think the Paclite used in the 2012-2015 seasons would be too heavy for warm weather, can't comment on the newer one used in the j1agtpl.  I'm a big fan of the J43-K material as well, but it might be too similiar to the 28-k for you.  Epic cotton is also on the lighter side, but it is harder to find these in decent condition.

LA6 is a great suggestion; that and my J25-WS are my summer go-tos. Even a J22 (2.5L proshell) is too much when it’s above 80F imo. Same goes for the J62-PB. 

One thing that I’ve come to realize after using these different newer school materials is how much body hair has to do with performance.

I love my P10-ds but my Sasquatch haired legs contribute to a very intense greenhouse-esque environment on an average 70 degree farenheit day. No surprise on the hair being an insulator. But the Stotz and CH iterations I own are nowhere near as intense sweat/heat-wise. Which goes against a bunch of the info on here in my experience. Which leads me to believe that most of the peeps on here ain’t as hairy as me maybe...?

All that being said- I wore the P10-DS in a heavy rain the other day coupled with my J47R. Temp was in the 70’s F, steady rain. Walked for a good 20-30 minutes and they both felt/performed great. Didn’t feel like they were soaking through, and the inside environment was less green housey, and they had a nice coolness overall. I’ve been pondering the science of this for a couple weeks now, but overall it makes me wish there was a more hirsute member employed on the ACR team for testing purposes. I gladly volunteer my services btw...