Acronym.

Westbrook

1 hour ago, GFNS said:

To be honest, I think they've been generous.  The technical and performance aspect of the gear could have easily gone for Yohji prices some time ago but it's been a slow and gradual build for years.  This reasoning is more in line with what seems to be happening.  He's taking his spot, which for the amount of time elapsed since its inception, is well deserved.

Speaking strictly about performance/technical aspects of the garments, how can it be generous if other brands are using the same fabric and selling it at 30% the cost? If you want to talk about how the price is a factor of a smaller shop, less capacity, etc. that would be another story - but arguing on performance merit alone seems to fall on its face.

4 minutes ago, solographik said:

Speaking strictly about performance/technical aspects of the garments, how can it be generous if other brands are using the same fabric and selling it at 30% the cost? If you want to talk about how the price is a factor of a smaller shop, less capacity, etc. that would be another story - but arguing on performance merit alone seems to fall on its face.

Removing Veilance from the equation that is.  There are a ton of flowy and frilly garments that go for 3K or better.  The argument isn't production/output/value, it's more ACRNM being more likened to Recon than Raf for eons and now that they get some shine we all want to complain about hikes.  This was a long time coming.  I for one can't justify 1,167 for the X-Pac 3A-1, especially when I got my Limonta for almost half that but I'm still copping what I like moving forward.  In a nutshell, respect due.  The grind has been a long haul for them and I think it's good to see them get recognized instead of bitten and chewed.  It's about time they start to recoup.

10 minutes ago, nodre said:

options to lower code are: 

lie to ups and convince them that the spec sheet is the outer layer of the bag making it a paper / textile at which rate the tax is 0% (4202.99.30.00)

or

suck it up, you know what you signed up for.

LOL at the 'convince them that the spec sheet is the outer layer.' has anyone ever even done that? seems ridiculous lol

The rep also ended up assigning 4202.22.8100 to the shoulder bags (3a-1 or 3ts) the zipper bags (mz3 or mz5) as 4202.32.9300 both which are at the 17.6% rate.

39 minutes ago, GFNS said:

Removing Veilance from the equation that is.  There are a ton of flowy and frilly garments that go for 3K or better.  The argument isn't production/output/value, it's more ACRNM being more likened to Recon than Raf for eons and now that they get some shine we all want to complain about hikes.  This was a long time coming.  I for one can't justify 1,167 for the X-Pac 3A-1, especially when I got my Limonta for almost half that but I'm still copping what I like moving forward.  In a nutshell, respect due.  The grind has been a long haul for them and I think it's good to see them get recognized instead of bitten and chewed.  It's about time they start to recoup.

Wasn't your original point that "the technical and performance aspect of the gear" made it worth yohji-esque prices? That's the part that I'm taking issue with, as other brands are selling similarly designed things in similar materials for a significantly lower cost.

You can make the argument that you can't separate the two, but that isn't how i interpreted your original comment. I don't begrudge the ACR team for raising prices, but I think ACR is fully cementing itself in the high-fashion market vs. the hard wearing, technical apparel gear that brought us here in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Stunt said:

I did convince them that P23A-DS could be used as overalls if you threw the belt straps over your shoulders and it did get my duties lowered, so it may be possible!!

It's amazing what soft skills do. I keep dealing with the same person because of my last name, she just approves what codes I've been using now.

1 hour ago, solographik said:

Wasn't your original point that "the technical and performance aspect of the gear" made it worth yohji-esque prices? That's the part that I'm taking issue with, as other brands are selling similarly designed things in similar materials for a significantly lower cost.

You can make the argument that you can't separate the two, but that isn't how i interpreted your original comment. I don't begrudge the ACR team for raising prices, but I think ACR is fully cementing itself in the high-fashion market vs. the hard wearing, technical apparel gear that brought us here in the first place.

Yeah, that way..

4 hours ago, solographik said:

Right. ACR's design is exemplary, but they're often not first to market. The "PB" fabric showed up as Shakedry before Acronym released the J62 or J63.

I'm not particularly surprised to see that the prices have gone up as much as they have; if your product sells out within minutes (as in the last couple releases), you are definitely leaving money on the table, and resale prices (which are observable on Grailed) confirm that.  I personally paid about 2K for a J53 on Grailed (which felt like a lot at the time but now looks like a decent price, incidentally...), and while I was happy to get the jacket, I felt pretty badly that E and company saw nothing for that transaction.  I don't think this means that prices can never go down, though -- at a certain point, you're leaving money on the table in lost sales instead (or foregone interest -- gotta watch your opportunity costs), or your operation requires more upfront revenue vs. a trickle of sales over time, etc.  I don't get the sense that Acronym is a large enough operation to have a staff economist working out pricing for them, so we may be seeing some rougher estimates here, but I'm glad to see them at least trying to triangulate a price point that makes them more money rather than giving the market away to resellers.

21 hours ago, lxkhor said:

I don't like the price hike either, but if the brand is slowly growing, so should the spending power of the people who helped make the brand what it is today? I mean, the only thing that seems to be going down in price nowadays is my investment in crypto..... 

LOL I sold a jacket and put it into bitcoin. doubly down. I figured it was the best way to keep that acr money going towards the cyberpunk dream :)

10 minutes ago, spladow said:

LOL I sold a jacket and put it into bitcoin. doubly down. I figured it was the best way to keep that acr money going towards the cyberpunk dream :)

YOUCH. That double whammy. :( But you're right, we have to do our part for the cyberpunk dream :)

4 hours ago, drgitlin said:

Right. ACR's design is exemplary, but they're often not first to market. The "PB" fabric showed up as Shakedry before Acronym released the J62 or J63.

Not sure where this misconception comes from, as someone who works for Gore confirmed that they are not the same fabric.

15 minutes ago, rnstyip said:

Not sure where this misconception comes from, as someone who works for Gore confirmed that they are not the same fabric.

Yeah - ShakeDry is just an aesthetic/build specification, not a fabric. ‘PB’ or Film Out was a newly developed lightweight material as outlined in the lead up to ACR’s review event - the GoreTex brand name for it now, officially, is Infinium. (It will adopt a new code this year too, ‘FO’.)

Interestingly, Stone Island will also be introducing some items using it this year too.

8 minutes ago, Danwise said:

Yeah - ShakeDry is just an aesthetic/build specification, not a fabric. ‘PB’ or Film Out was a newly developed lightweight material as outlined in the lead up to ACR’s review event - the GoreTex brand name for it now, officially, is Infinium. (It will adopt a new code this year too, ‘FO’.)

Interestingly, Stone Island will also be introducing some items using it this year too.

PB came in two different specifications/formulations I believe and actually is a new tech, the barrier layer is the face layer. Infinium is the subbrand for their non waterproof stuff.

Edited by CARLOOA

35 minutes ago, rnstyip said:

Where are you getting this? I own the 63PB and bought the north face hyper air for my gf. AFAIK the Norvan SL and the aforementioned jackets are all “permanent beading” surfaces and use the same tech. They have the same handfeel as well. 

14 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

PB came in two different specifications/formulations I believe and actually is a new tech, the barrier layer is the face layer. Infinium is the subbrand for their non waterproof stuff.

Similar understanding but wasn’t aware that they came in different techs. 

26 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

26 minutes ago, drgitlin said:

TIL, as the kids say. 

Infinium 'is' the new official name for PB, 'PB' is just Acronym's original acronym for it at the time they were involved in developing it with Gore.

All here: https://www.gore.com/news-events/press-release/gore-launches-new-gore-tex-infinium-product-brand

Also attaching this just to confirm:

Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 11.17.43 am.png

40 minutes ago, Danwise said:

Infinium 'is' the new official name for PB, 'PB' is just Acronym's original acronym for it at the time they were involved in developing it with Gore.

All here: https://www.gore.com/news-events/press-release/gore-launches-new-gore-tex-infinium-product-brand

It’s the sub-brand still. 

43 minutes ago, Danwise said:

hate to be that guy but I'm deducing that says J43a-FO #x-rayvision

Price hiking is kind one-direction way.

For me this set-up is the second best along side the unreleased camo 3a-1 back in old time.

And ss18 3a-1 just sold out now(stock back), for me im kind decided keeping supporting the brand in future, in hope my fund for this expensive interest(but thank god im wearing them 24x7x356).

Edited by Xu Jianfeng