Acronym.

Westbrook

10 minutes ago, kampongkid said:

I got mine when they dropped at the end of April and wore it quite a bit before the heatwave hit. Not nearly enough to see the fabric start to break in though. Will say that the fabric is very light and breathable. Had no problems wearing it in 70-80f weather.

While we're getting some first-hand impressions, I've been wanting to ask -- the product photos make it appear as though the material could pass for leather, is this true in person?

34 minutes ago, Nullsleep said:

While we're getting some first-hand impressions, I've been wanting to ask -- the product photos make it appear as though the material could pass for leather, is this true in person?

Here are my impressions from a few months back:

On 7/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, CARLOOA said:

I have both. I love them but they're different. They're purely technological demonstrators; the PB material is experimental. I have had the 62 since launch and recently acquired the 63. I am 5'9" 180ish pounds (might've gained more since I got married last month). I've used them in conditions ranging from 50–75F+ light to torrential rain. 

62: Flannel backed, seems to be a slightly different shade than the 63, it's smoother than the 63 likely because the backer isn't gridded. Quite light for the insulation. The fabric has a cool "sheen" to it, it's like if Errol-sama skinned a space buffalo. Fits thinner than the 46, closer to the 38. The closeness of the patterning does not restrict movement. Under arm panels are crazy looking despite the simplicity of the rest of the jacket. Two pockets, external and internal sling points—I've kept the sling internal because of the svelte nature of the jacket. Vislon zippers throughout 2 way main, smaller collar zip, and spring locking cuff adjusting zippers, (the puller locks when down preventing the zipper from opening further). The dual position collar is similar to other "sartorial" Acronym. The nature of the jacket gives it a matrix-esque appearance but the lack of hood kind of kills the practicality. I love how it drapes and feels when open, it's got a goldilocks weight, not too heavy and not too light.

63: Gridded fleece backer. It's like Patagonia R1–3 fleece, except softer. Again smaller than other acronym hoodies, I think it's close to the J25 in pattern. Again, nonrestrictive. Full zip hood, 2 way vislon zip. The palm portion seems to be made of DS type fabric. The external pockets have additional space along the sagittal plane while the internal pockets are at holster position. My only issue is with the interior pockets—the bottom of the pocket bags aren't secured to the jacket so it can be hard to close one handed. @Voyager will agree here: this is the coziest/softest/female stealingest technologically advance hoodie that ACRNM has put out—keep it away from your significant other.

Edit:

I like the pieces because the fabric is the main attraction and it's unlike anything out there. If it's your first Acronym piece, be aware the fabric shows wear more easily than other Acronym pieces and it doesn't have the same hype associated with a jacket like the multi-pocket J1A/28/36/47A that usually characterize Acronym's line. The pieces also lack the seminal Acronym features like gravity pockets and interops. As such, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the 62/63 to a new entrant into the brand, you have to understand what you're buying.

I have to add that I take breathability descriptors on any shell with a grain of salt. All shells will feel like plastic bags when doing aerobic activity. These are without additional face fabric so in theory they're more breathable but they are fleece backed so the fabric may contribute to the feeling of interior dryness. As to feeling rubbery, they don't. They feel really supple and the matte doesn't add any tactile feeling on the hand.

Edited by CARLOOA

Just spent the last 45 minutes on the phone with UPS who was delivering my drop-day order from acrnm.com today (yeah, from Sept. 20, 2017). Had to turn down the delivery because the driver was requesting a 27.9% brokerage fee for my P25H-DS. Turn outs the tariff code attached to my package by the folks at acrnm doesn't exist, so I was subject to some sort of generic maximum.

For the record, the correct tariff code for anyone in the US importing DS pants is 6203.43.1190, which is at 7.1%. Please note that it is different from tariff code 6203.43.0300 (included in a post from the very generous @Voyager a few days before drop-day) which they did not accept because it concerns bibs/overalls and not pants. Hope this saves others some money (and the headache). 

Edited by robbatussin
grammatical

56 minutes ago, Nullsleep said:

It’s definitely got a sheen to it. There was a pic of him standing next to Melody and his being well broken in it was much less apparent. I’ll see if I can find it and will post.

1 hour ago, Nullsleep said:

Pleather, maybe. Leather? No chance. 

5 hours ago, Nullsleep said:

go to an REI or a bike shop and look for bicycling ultralight rain jackets like this: https://www.rei.com/product/101711/the-north-face-hyperair-gtx-rain-jacket-mens

it's not the same exact material but it's pretty close from what i can tell

From a distance you could definitely mistake it for leather. Up close it's got a synthetic rubbery look. Not unattractive by any means, but not pleather either.

It's for sure Not Black. Dark Olive/Brown/Grey maybe? I think it pairs better with RAF.

I can chime in here a bit on the Gore film-out products although my experience is limited to the ultralight woven backer version.

Definitely had people comment on it looking like leather. My experience however is that with with wear the film takes on more and more of a sheen resulting in a somewhat "black garbage bag" like appearance. 

It's noticeably breathable. I've never been one for cycle commuting in a gore jacket, but this worked well.

It's fragile, at least the ultralight woven backer version, can't speak for the fleece backers used on the ACR projects. It may be that most the structure and strength of the textile comes from the backer fabric. So I'm keen to hear feedback from anyone who picks up one of these pieces.

10 hours ago, larssss said:

I can chime in here a bit on the Gore film-out products although my experience is limited to the ultralight woven backer version.

Definitely had people comment on it looking like leather. My experience however is that with with wear the film takes on more and more of a sheen resulting in a somewhat "black garbage bag" like appearance. 

It's noticeably breathable. I've never been one for cycle commuting in a gore jacket, but this worked well.

It's fragile, at least the ultralight woven backer version, can't speak for the fleece backers used on the ACR projects. It may be that most the structure and strength of the textile comes from the backer fabric. So I'm keen to hear feedback from anyone who picks up one of these pieces.

I've used it several times, the weird part of the film out is the fact that when the face of the fabric dries leaving whatever solids were in solution on the face (water marks) It's super prevalent—maybe because of the relative lack of surface area due to a smooth face. I guess you can call it patina but once it gets wet again, it's gone, I guess you really have to shake it off (s/o to T.Swift) once you're under shelter.

1 hour ago, CARLOOA said:

I've used it several times, the weird part of the film out is the fact that when the face of the fabric dries leaving whatever solids were in solution on the face (water marks) It's super prevalent—maybe because of the relative lack of surface area due to a smooth face. I guess you can call it patina but once it gets wet again, it's gone, I guess you really have to shake it off (s/o to T.Swift) once you're under shelter.

I’ve been assuming this stuff is basically the “shakedry” goretex we’ve been seeing around—the stuff showing up in mainline arc’teryx and 7mesh—but with a more substantial backer. If that’s the case, shaking it dry makes sense given the name... My only issue is that the stuff can’t be very durable at all if it’s the same outer as shakedry. It certainly wouldn’t stand up to prolonged and repetitive abrasion (from bags, for example).

Do you think marketing-wise that is why ACR state that the fabric gets a 'patina'? As the textile itself is not very durable, prone to scratches and rips, so they would market it as a desirable thing. Though in my opinion decay is beautiful. I have not handled the film-out textiles from ACR before so I wouldn't be able to say first hand if they are delicate fabrics or not.

On 9/16/2017 at 7:59 PM, Voyager said:

I'm an old man (hanging on to my 30's by a very thin thread) so I don't have a ton of pics of me posing in my clothes for insta or shit like that. Here's a couple candid pics my wife took. My twins just turned 1 so they're literally in every single picture she takes. Lighting isn't great for the second one. Sorry about that. You kind of get the idea of how they fit though. 

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

just saw this post.. awesome. PAM00438?

5 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

Yup, I noticed that on Monday. next time I wear it in the rain will have to remember to do that. It does look so pretty when it’s beaded though. ;)

4 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

I’ve been assuming this stuff is basically the “shakedry” goretex we’ve been seeing around—the stuff showing up in mainline arc’teryx and 7mesh—but with a more substantial backer. If that’s the case, shaking it dry makes sense given the name... My only issue is that the stuff can’t be very durable at all if it’s the same outer as shakedry. It certainly wouldn’t stand up to prolonged and repetitive abrasion (from bags, for example).

I think at that Berlin event they made a point of saying that wearing a bag with it would cause a lot of wear, so you are right.

39 minutes ago, e_o said:

Do you think marketing-wise that is why ACR state that the fabric gets a 'patina'? As the textile itself is not very durable, prone to scratches and rips, so they would market it as a desirable thing. Though in my opinion decay is beautiful. I have not handled the film-out textiles from ACR before so I wouldn't be able to say first hand if they are delicate fabrics or not.

I don't think that's why ACR did that marketing-wise. I would like to think that E can afford to call a spade a spade. He simply does not have to resort to "marketing tactics" to sell. 

Agree that decay is beautiful. Would love to pick up a j62-pb when I'm rich. 

3 hours ago, X.bee said:

I kind of scrolled over this on IG thinking it was just the Type 2371, but taking the time to look at it now it seems to be a new iteration. Seeing some other colors again would be nice.

For me personally, i am not the biggest fan of the J1A model, i do respect it a lot but it never grew on me i guess, but the petrol and the snow ops one is something i wouldnt mind grabbing one of each of tbh hahaha

Would love to see more colors in acronym myself (Still love black and raf though)

Acronym have always put colours out there from the early days, chartreuse, reds,lilacs and of course the collabs with Nemen, cannot get much more colourful than that! 

I guess it does generally favour the constant tick-tock of the monochrome metronome swinging rythmicly.

I am genuinely surprised that I am yet to see any fits with the new J16-GT. The most interesting piece this season, alongside the J64TS-S.

Have you guys seen any? Other than those used for advertisements

Edited by AnomalousTautology