Acronym.

Westbrook

19 hours ago, Xenomorph said:

Another FW-17 items: J16-GT, J62-S, J56-S, P23A-DS, P23-S, P25H-DS, SM1-AM, J58-WS, NG7-AM

201708147LMSPtDXEJLvf72z_IqAJe_large.jpeg

Does anyone know anything about the gaiter in the bottom right? I heard some rumblings that it had a hood, but from this picture it looks like it's got a bib.

7 hours ago, zork said:

Does anyone know anything about the gaiter in the bottom right? I heard some rumblings that it had a hood, but from this picture it looks like it's got a bib.

it would have been better shadow project piece that can zip in the stupid halved zippers

Makes me wonder if Errolson has too many side projects going on if there's no S/S 18 in the works... Or maybe they just want to take a season off to recuperate? 

2 hours ago, RapGameTaylorSwift said:

From what I've heard, Acronym has been struggling to keep up with demand and quality of production. I've already heard rumors that even FW17 will be in lower quantities than past seasons so it doesn't surprise me that they are taking SS18 off. I assume it's for similar reasons. 

Yeah this is true, i talked my local stores owner when i was there for the SS drop. They got sent an email. Seems that production is low enough that a lot of the later contract stores are not even gonna get any stock. 

57 minutes ago, blakebru97 said:

Yeah this is true, i talked my local stores owner when i was there for the SS drop. They got sent an email. Seems that production is low enough that a lot of the later contract stores are not even gonna get any stock. 

Time to hire some more peeps. Down to slave in a production facility and get paid in errolson merit stars and high fives

(Once again I'm gonna go a bit on and off topic)

Really, when it comes down to it- how much longer do boutiques or any kind of brick and mortar type store have in them, 10 years? On the outside? Or even skilled textile workers? I'm not a good example, but the two times that I can recall buying an article of clothing in person(as opposed to online), one was a t-shirt at a Meat Beat Manifesto show in SF this past fall, and the other was at a The Body show in 2015(and it was printed on one of those shitty Gildan brand shirts. Which I swear are shaped for lego peoples, if I hadn't been shit faced and brain dead from head banging there's no way I woulda plunked down for that one). I feel like it's all gonna turn web, and you'll occasionally see a week or month long pop up brick and mortar, which will feel either novel or nostalgic or both depending on your age/cultural background.

'Remember the mall?'

Hm, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum on this, wherein I do think there's a future in the physical retail shop format. Despite it going through a bit of a redefinition/reorientation like every other archaic medium (see: books), I see it pushing on primarily because its core tenets and strengths are unhackable.

In contrast to books, wherein anyone can publish on Kindle or buy a spot in the NYT Bestseller list, any random joe can't exactly just open a physical store (be successful at it) and develop that tenure/value of curation with his clientele.

There's also that word "physical", that tactile, experiential quality to shopping at a store that technology has yet been able to replicate (maybe after 90 years, post jackpot, when we're logging into each others personal hotel lobby constructs). 

Good shops (i.e. multibrand boutiques) are statements, triggers, that should make you feel something. "We stock this with this, because of this, inside this, because fuck you." I've yet to see an online store do that. 

_ _ _

You can argue in favor of or against this idea varying degrees using several businesses that have both (online and physical shops).

For against, you can look at Tres Bien for the latter, where their online presence feels so fleshed out, only to see their tiny cute store in Malmö and think.. ???

A personal example in favor of would be Antonioli, wherein I didn't really get what they were about online (regardless of all the marketing). It took me about 5 minutes into a visit their shop in Florence to be like.. "ah, shit. It all makes sense now." 

I suppose in the end it all boils down to what kind of shopper you are. It's like opera vs. Netflix, a tasting menu vs. a hotdog. Both are pretty damn good, but you have one or the other for different reasons.

_ _ _

Now, tying this back into ACRONYM for the benefit of this thread, I've always liked the question of what direction the brand should take going forward? I've never wanted to say it before, in fear of it happening and cutting me off, but offline / darknet / physical store / secret pop-up seems like the most viable way for it to go forward.

It'd probably take just another hundred words to explain why, so I'm leaving it here to simmer.

Edited by WillKhitie
brevity

%90+ of my stuff is bought online. When shopping in stores the worst realization you can have is that the working culture/conditions in these places are not good and the service directly suffers because of it. It becomes a chore after this. When I first started going into boutiques and stores maybe it was because I was less cynical back then but the staff at certain places seemed to have more of a laugh and that made it a better experience.
I just don't have the more objective view on the items in real life than on pictures online. Which is weird because it's the opposite with me and art.

I always thought; what if someone did what is more common in Japan and had a niche shop tucked away in some gully ends that was south of the river in London (none of that East London muck) would it be successful? And then I realized the store Alpha Shadows, which carries good stuff, is in Peckham not in Shoreditch. Like there Japanese counterparts they have a good online presence. Can you imagine a city like London where curation is more important than location?

11 hours ago, nodre said:

something about labor laws has forced them to indefinitely cut boutiques out of the seasonal cycle. 

Do labour laws change that drastically?

ACR is medium sized with a large sized reach. Tricky. I partly agree with WillKhitie in dialing it back a bit. Imagine if the collaboration with United Arrows hadn't ended so soon and this delaying opening things up with Nike.

1 hour ago, TIMDOT said:

Do labour laws change that drastically?

ACR is medium sized with a large sized reach. Tricky. I partly agree with WillKhitie in dialing it back a bit. Imagine if the collaboration with United Arrows hadn't ended so soon and this delaying opening things up with Nike.

i can't say for sure. that's what it soudned like from the horses mouth, but it might be a bit more complicated. i will say that carriers need to re-evaluate their import fees on goretex etc. these materials that are availible in the US shouldn't be taxed so ridiculously by carriers. also it drives the price of the garments up because boutiques have to then pay huge amounts. this happens with visvim as well.. its just denim!