Acronym.

Westbrook

There's been a couple of comments on the film-out material of the J63/2-PB being pleathery and in general I've kind of herd negative things, but I really personally like the look of the J63-PB. Has anyone here got one or read like a solid breakdown/review type thing?

5 hours ago, Igneousity said:

There's been a couple of comments on the film-out material of the J63/2-PB being pleathery and in general I've kind of herd negative things, but I really personally like the look of the J63-PB. Has anyone here got one or read like a solid breakdown/review type thing?

I have both. I love them but they're different. They're purely technological demonstrators; the PB material is experimental. I have had the 62 since launch and recently acquired the 63. I am 5'9" 180ish pounds (might've gained more since I got married last month). I've used them in conditions ranging from 50–75F+ light to torrential rain. 

62: Flannel backed, seems to be a slightly different shade than the 63, it's smoother than the 63 likely because the backer isn't gridded. Quite light for the insulation. The fabric has a cool "sheen" to it, it's like if Errol-sama skinned a space buffalo. Fits thinner than the 46, closer to the 38. The closeness of the patterning does not restrict movement. Under arm panels are crazy looking despite the simplicity of the rest of the jacket. Two pockets, external and internal sling points—I've kept the sling internal because of the svelte nature of the jacket. Vislon zippers throughout 2 way main, smaller collar zip, and spring locking cuff adjusting zippers, (the puller locks when down preventing the zipper from opening further). The dual position collar is similar to other "sartorial" Acronym. The nature of the jacket gives it a matrix-esque appearance but the lack of hood kind of kills the practicality. I love how it drapes and feels when open, it's got a goldilocks weight, not too heavy and not too light.

63: Gridded fleece backer. It's like Patagonia R1–3 fleece, except softer. Again smaller than other acronym hoodies, I think it's close to the J25 in pattern. Again, nonrestrictive. Full zip hood, 2 way vislon zip. The palm portion seems to be made of DS type fabric. The external pockets have additional space along the sagittal plane while the internal pockets are at holster position. My only issue is with the interior pockets—the bottom of the pocket bags aren't secured to the jacket so it can be hard to close one handed. @Voyager will agree here: this is the coziest/softest/female stealingest technologically advance hoodie that ACRNM has put out—keep it away from your significant other.

Edit:

I like the pieces because the fabric is the main attraction and it's unlike anything out there. If it's your first Acronym piece, be aware the fabric shows wear more easily than other Acronym pieces and it doesn't have the same hype associated with a jacket like the multi-pocket J1A/28/36/47A that usually characterize Acronym's line. The pieces also lack the seminal Acronym features like gravity pockets and interops. As such, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the 62/63 to a new entrant into the brand, you have to understand what you're buying.

Edited by CARLOOA

1 minute ago, CARLOOA said:

I have both. I love them but they're different. They're purely technological demonstrators—the PB material is experimental. I have had the 62 since launch and recently acquired the 63. I am 5'9" 180ish pounds (might've gained more since I got married last month). I've used them in conditions ranging from 50–75F+ light to torrential rain. 

62: Flannel backed, seems to be a slightly different shade than the 63, it's smoother than the 63 likely because the backer isn't gridded. Quite light for the insulation. The fabric has a cool "sheen" to it, it's like if Errol-sama skinned a space buffalo. Fits thinner than the 46, closer to the 38. The closeness of the patterning does not restrict movement. Under arm panels are crazy looking despite the simplicity of the rest of the jacket. Two pockets, external and internal sling points—I've kept the sling internal because of the svelte nature of the jacket. Vislon zippers throughout 2 way main, smaller collar zip, and spring locking cuff adjusting zippers, (the puller locks when down preventing the zipper from opening further). The dual position collar is similar to other "sartorial" Acronym. The nature of the jacket gives it a matrix-esque appearance but the lack of hood kind of kills the practicality. I love how it drapes and feels when open, it's got a goldilocks weight, not too heavy and not too light.

63: Gridded fleece backer. It's like Patagonia R1–3 fleece, except softer. Again smaller than other acronym hoodies, I think it's close to the J25 in pattern. Again, nonrestrictive. Full zip hood, vislon zip. The palm portion seems to be made of DS type fabric. 2 way vislon zipper with storm flap. The external pockets have additional space along the sagittal plane while the internal pockets are at holster position. My only issue is with the interior pockets—the bottom of the pocket bags aren't secured to the jacket so it can be hard to close one handed. @Voyager will agree here: this is the coziest/softest/female stealingest technologically advance hoodie that ACRNM has put out—keep it away from your significant other.

Yeah man I've got both too and I agree with pretty much everything. The 63 amazes me at how cozy it is and how appropriate it is at a wide range of temperatures and weather conditions. Never before has a weatherproof jacket been so damn cozy. And I don't know why they are being classified as softshells. These jackets perform as well as hardshells do in the rain. I've been in downpours in the 63 and nothing got through.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't and haven't actually owned any Acronym jackets, just other Acronym pieces and a bunch of SISP. I'm still trying to figure out how the hell to size something like that considering I don't know how I'd want to layer/etc.

I think a hoodie looks good under J62 a bit like Errolson had in the SSENSE(?) photoshoot. 63 I would potentially layer under another jacket if anything. I just went my usual ACR size on both. To me if you sized up on the 62 much you'd kill the cut of it - you don't want the shoulders to not line up etc...I can fit J48 or something under mine easily with my regular size.

I'm still kinda looking at the 63 despite the mixed feedback on the fabric. One thing I'm not sure with the whole not-having-owned-an-acronym-jacket problem is how to size considering the possibility of wearing with or without layers. Can anyone speak to the similarity to, say, SISP sizing? I'm a smaller guy and -tend- to be a small but even with SISP that can be a bit of a problem with layers.

Daily "lol how do i size acrnm" post for this thread, I guess.

56 minutes ago, Igneousity said:

I'm still kinda looking at the 63 despite the mixed feedback on the fabric. One thing I'm not sure with the whole not-having-owned-an-acronym-jacket problem is how to size considering the possibility of wearing with or without layers. Can anyone speak to the similarity to, say, SISP sizing? I'm a smaller guy and -tend- to be a small but even with SISP that can be a bit of a problem with layers.

Daily "lol how do i size acrnm" post for this thread, I guess.

I'm a medium in Acronym and a large in SI:SP for reference.

3 hours ago, Kamikaze said:

my epic cotton  jacket has some fraying and wear down by the hem pull cord. any recommended way to repair this or should I just take it to a tailor and let them go to town. 

I'm actually having this exact problem with my J28-E. It's still at the tailor, but the basic plan was undo some hemming and patch it from the inside with some similar fabric. For the smaller holes I'm just having them sewn closed. I probably won't have it back for some time as it's too hot and I was in no hurry, but I'll try to post some photos when it gets back.

I'll wear that thing till it falls apart. Holes and all.

Edited by nesherman

58 minutes ago, nesherman said:

I'm actually having this exact problem with my J28-E. It's still at the tailor, but the basic plan was undo some hemming and patch it from the inside with some similar fabric. For the smaller holes I'm just having them sewn closed. I probably won't have it back for some time as it's too hot and I was in no hurry, but I'll try to post some photos when it gets back.

I'll wear that thing till it falls apart. Holes and all.

thanks man. let me know how it goes and possibly any pictures of the finished hem ;)

28 minutes ago, mukaiten said:

can anyone tell me about their experience wearing a gt shell with a liner in the winter? I'd like to know things like how much tighter the jacket fits and if/how much you can feel the cold.

it depends on heavily your gt sheel model.For example.gt-j16 is crazy slim and itself already a mapping fabric then liner inside pretty mission impossiable. On the other hand,roomy shell or with panel like j5a or j43a are fine for your to layering.

speaking of  3 layers ways dressing,if you pick up some merino or polartech as bacis layer,then some heavy cotton liner then gt shell,you would be fine around -5 Celsius.

@mukaiten I spent the entirety of last winter in my J34, with a merino layer, and a fleece layer. Was perfectly comfy in 0* Fahrenheit temps. The GT cuts the wind excellently, and keeps snow melt from being a nuisance. As @Xu Jianfeng said, the fit block really makes a difference. You want a little room for your extra layers, but also to not overly compress the fabric in the layers so they can do their heat holding magic.  

Does anyone have experience with repairing holes in DS fabric? My P10TS-DS just got a BB sized hole near the pocket. It's nothing significant, but I want to hop on it before it gets worse. Someone suggested reweaving, which I have no experience with, but I'm totally open to suggestions.

Edited by nesherman

10 hours ago, nesherman said:

Does anyone have experience with repairing holes in DS fabric? My P10TS-DS just got a BB sized hole near the pocket. It's nothing significant, but I want to hop on it before it gets worse. Someone suggested reweaving, which I have no experience with, but I'm totally open to suggestions.

Is the DS fabric more susceptible to holes than the others?

3 hours ago, mukaiten said:

@brainerd666 I was hoping it would have that kind of effect! seems like I'll have an easier time in Canada this winter; I've never had a proper way of dealing with the cold. J28 looks like it will accommodate for the right kind of layering.

We really need your measurements to determine how the jackets fit with a liner or with additional layers. If you're a stick, obviously the jacket will accommodate at your correct sizing based on shell measurements. Alternatively, if you were wondering how much volume you could fit before it'd be restrictive, I'll assume you are a real woman, with real curves. I'm 5'9" with broad shoulders and I am 180lbs, I lift but I'm not on HGH and I'm a borderline in medium with a J1A-GT + J58-WS.

I was in Whistler this past winter and I was wearing a J1A-GT + J58-WS + Arc'Teryx Veilance Graph Cardigan and it was warm without being too constricting. It was something like -10C and I was quite comfortable. Additionally, both the J56-GT and J53-GT feel better in the top block and shoulders with the J58 than the J1A, I honestly have found the J58-WS to be overkill as a layering piece in anything over 32F/0C. I'd rather layer with either a J55-MP, S6-C, or Veilance Mionn/Graph Cardigan.

Edited by CARLOOA

11 hours ago, hoju said:

Is the DS fabric more susceptible to holes than the others?

For what it's worth, I have two pairs of pants, three shirts, and two jackets in DS and have never had an issue with holes.  Pilling on the older DS, yes.  I do believe because of the weave it is less puncture resistant.  

3 hours ago, thatslapz said:

For what it's worth, I have two pairs of pants, three shirts, and two jackets in DS and have never had an issue with holes.  Pilling on the older DS, yes.  I do believe because of the weave it is less puncture resistant.  

Because this is what I want to hear I'm going to believe you and call out @nesherman for spreading lies. Thanks!