Acronym.

Westbrook

Machine washing should be a last resort. If you have a large enough container to soak the pants(such as a tub, or large plastic tote), and the space to let them drip dry, you'll get a lot more mileage out of them and less issues with the fit being adulterated. 

I'm not sure if Grangers is the best bet (apart from when I've machine washed GT shells which seems to go great) but I've washed various pairs of ACR pants by sloshing them around in a bathtub of lukewarm water with a cap full (believe it activates at 30 degrees or something) then rinsing in the same fashion and drip-drying. 

I don't know if it's because I was never into denim, but this whole "don't wash your clothes" thing is very strange to me. I don't own any stotz pants, but I've never had any issues washing my acr stuff. 

I personally have a hard time finding pants that I like. And the ones that I do like I want to wear as much as possible, and have them last as long as possible. Washing machines, even on the gentle cycle, put a lot of wear and tear on clothing, dryers are even worse. I'd rather soak as stated above. It's a bit more of a pain in the ass, but if it means my $300-800 treasured pair of trousers will be with me an extra year or more, and still feel the same, well that's worth the effort IMO. 

7 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

Machine washing should be a last resort. If you have a large enough container to soak the pants(such as a tub, or large plastic tote), and the space to let them drip dry, you'll get a lot more mileage out of them and less issues with the fit being adulterated. 

Would you recommend this for shells as well? Or should shells always be machine washed? 

1 minute ago, AvantSol said:

Would you recommend this for shells as well? Or should shells always be machine washed? 

I genuinely don't know if something else is recommend for Acr stuff specifically, but with Goretex shells you can machine wash at about 40c on low intensity and use liquid detergent. Then rinse them afterwards to ensure all soap and anything is off them. You can then tumble dry them (again on pretty low heat) which will reactivate the DWR coating.

Pretty much always ALWAYS read the label - especially when you're talking about a $1k+ piece of clothing.

4 hours ago, leg said:

How you can say that if you don't wash your treasured pants often? I wash my P10-DS and LA3-DS almost every week now, since it's 25C+ here and -DS is still looking fresh on both items. Not talking about Epic or Stotz, because fabric will fade no matter what. Buying $1000 pants that you can't use (wash, clean etc) same as normal clothing is stupidest thing in the world, especially when techwear should be the opposite of that raw denim thing, no?

Agreed. Have washed my P24S-DS several times now and they look fresh as a daisy. Same goes for my Stotz pair (and P9-S, and for that matter P16-CH and P17-CH) and while there is a tiny but of fading it's nothing I wouldn't expect given the relative ages of each pair. 

Idk about anyone else but if you fly a lot, after spending a couple of days sat in planes and at airports, a wash is usually in order.

1 hour ago, drgitlin said:

Agreed. Have washed my P24S-DS several times now and they look fresh as a daisy. Same goes for my Stotz pair (and P9-S, and for that matter P16-CH and P17-CH) and while there is a tiny but of fading it's nothing I wouldn't expect given the relative ages of each pair. 

Idk about anyone else but if you fly a lot, after spending a couple of days sat in planes and at airports, a wash is usually in order.

My main concern was since I usually use the bus/metro/train 5 days a week,  it might not be the most sanitary to go without washing them relatively often. Regular clothes last years even when washed regularly, so why wouldn't something that's made of superior materials and made better over all. Any fit issues that my pair seemed to have at first went away within the first day of wear. 

6 hours ago, leg said:

How you can say that if you don't wash your treasured pants often? I wash my P10-DS and LA3-DS almost every week now, since it's 25C+ here and -DS is still looking fresh on both items. Not talking about Epic or Stotz, because fabric will fade no matter what. Buying $1000 pants that you can't use (wash, clean etc) same as normal clothing is stupidest thing in the world, especially when techwear should be the opposite of that raw denim thing, no?

Hey do what you want to do. I'm not trying to write any laws cleaning for techwear, just give some potentially helpful advice. And regarding washing machines and wear and tear- well it's just simple physics my friend. I'm also 38 years old and have owned enough clothing at this point in my life to see the wear and tear first hand. Yes I do my own laundry. I don't trust a service/girlfriend to do it for me. 

Had a few Q's about what the 'special display' was for the Acronym X Edition X Blame! release, it wasn't a special display as such - but they did have a really big sticker on the wall, and some J62-PB's.

2017_AcronymBlame-0285.jpg

2017_AcronymBlame-0286.jpg

Edited by Danwise

I must admit my experience is mostly from washing the GT-Pro shells vs the pants but i absolutely love doing it - they come out super fresh and crispy plus i find travelling a lot with bags wears off patches of the DWR in the same old places so i like to take the chance to wash and re-apply the DWR often. Very little wear and tear evidenced and they immediately perform better. I'm also of the same opinion that this is why I'm paying a lumpy price for an item that will last when treated properly. 

For what it's worth, I've got a pair of Outlier Climbers, which are made of a very similar material to the P10TS-DS. I've owned them for about four years, and I've done lots of barbell training in them, which involves dragging a knurled steel bar up against the shins repeatedly. I've thrown em in the wash absolutely caked in chalk many times, and they're still as black as the day I got them. So you are likely fine washing the P10's as often as you want.

2 minutes ago, eidolarr said:

For what it's worth, I've got a pair of Outlier Climbers, which are made of a very similar material to the P10TS-DS. I've owned them for about four years, and I've done lots of barbell training in them, which involves dragging a knurled steel bar up against the shins repeatedly. I've thrown em in the wash absolutely caked in chalk many times, and they're still as black as the day I got them. So you are likely fine washing the P10's as often as you want.

So what do you do about the inevitable pilling, the interior "fuzz" coming off in wear areas?

I used to like outlier a lot for getting into work, but the longevity of them is about a year and change before they start looking like they need to be tossed.

The interior fuzz is kinda shoddy and has worn off completely in the crotch/thighs, but I guess I don't understand its purpose? I'm not bothered now that it's gone at all. The Acronym pants don't have that fuzz, maybe because they use a newer generation of the fabric.

One thing that worries me: though DrySkin seems to be extremely abrasion resistance, it punctures very easily.

Just to clarify on my end- I'm not saying don't wash your pants in a machine or else you'll see an immediate change in the look and feel of said pants. I just see the long game, and the less wear and tear I can put on my gear that wasn't perpetuated by myself either at work or on drunken jaunts in the urban jungle- well all the better. This is the same philosophy I use in my diet to excuse my excess of alcohol consumption:rolleyes:

Okay, now that we're on the topic, can the more educated ones provide an approved list of detergents, treatment re-applications for shells, and pants? (i.e. thoughts on Grangers Wash and Repel Spray, or is the 2-in-1 Wash+Repel product enough? )

Looking to purchase some off Amazon to d-t-d to Asia, but I'm at a point (financially) where I don't want to waste any on guess work. Thank you in advance.

So, my experiences and just talking about GT shells again to begin with: From memory people used to say avoid the 2-in-1 type stuff and keep the washing and DWR application separate. 

I've been using the Grangers performance wash for a low temp machine wash, two rinses (think this is the advice on the ACRNM labels) and then the Xtreme repel which then requires tumble drying to activate. I have a jacket I have washed in this fashion 8 times now and the seams are only just starting to peel a bit and otherwise no perceivable damage. 

Ive previously also tried the regular Grangers proofing spray and air-dried. Can't say I noticed any difference in performance of the DWR really (compared to Xtreme repel) but one thing that seems better to me is that by tumble drying it distributes/spreads it all out and doesn't leave traces where you may have sprayed it more than others. Therefore I've stuck with the Xtreme repel since.

Ive also washed my PL-J1 with Grangers down wash and Xtreme repel which worked great. Another variation would be the J25-WS which came out bulletproof after the perf wash/Xtreme repel Combo and a tumble dry on high heat (from memory this is recommended on the label vs the GT proshell advice).

Regarding pants as per my post above I've been sloshing stotz pants in a lukewarm bathtub of water with Grangers perf wash to try and avoid the stone wash effect which seems to have worked ok. I just used the Grangers cause I had it but interested in any other choices people have here.

9 hours ago, WillKhitie said:

Okay, now that we're on the topic, can the more educated ones provide an approved list of detergents, treatment re-applications for shells, and pants? (i.e. thoughts on Grangers Wash and Repel Spray, or is the 2-in-1 Wash+Repel product enough? )

Looking to purchase some off Amazon to d-t-d to Asia, but I'm at a point (financially) where I don't want to waste any on guess work. Thank you in advance.

I've used Grangers and Nikwash and both work well.

If you haven't already seen it, this video from Arcteryx on how to wash shells is worth a few minutes of your time:

So I've been doing some digging up on the DWR spray on vs the DWR wash in, what are your guys' preference? What works better for you guys?

That arcteryx video points to a spray, but common thing on the internet says the DWR wash-in covers your coat much more evenly.

Also what brand, again the video points to Granger's but I'm not entirely sure

Edited by StolenBread

In my experience wash in works well for things that are made of pro shell. Spray on works better for stuff like nonstandard goretex (like on my monitor sft) and stotz. When I wash my J46s I hand wash, hang dry, spray on the dwr and then iron. I've used both grangers and nextec and both seem to work well.

On 5/31/2017 at 11:34 AM, exhaust fumes said:

So what do you do about the inevitable pilling, the interior "fuzz" coming off in wear areas?

If you live near a Daiso, they sell a small battery device that "shaves" off the fuzz. I used it pretty frequently on the elastic lining of my bomber jacket. I can upload a picture if you'd like...

7 hours ago, CountZatara said:

If you live near a Daiso, they sell a small battery device that "shaves" off the fuzz. I used it pretty frequently on the elastic lining of my bomber jacket. I can upload a picture if you'd like...

It's called a 'Kedama Tricky'! Elsewhere, a lint remover.